Raptors Discussion: v55| Would you say that now is the time to panic? Yes I would, Kent

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebel111*

Worst team in NBA history! Should be boycotted. 2 losses in 7 games only!
Fire Masai!

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
its basketball who cares. its the worst sport in the world, no defence, only fouls any contact and ur outta the game

anyway, the raps r still 1st in the east y panic, theyre gonna win the divison anyways cuz theyre division is terrible

mikebel111*

its basketball who cares. its the worst sport in the world, no defence, only fouls any contact and ur outta the game

anyway, the raps r still 1st in the east y panic, theyre gonna win the divison anyways cuz theyre division is terrible

Okay and why are you posting in this thread than if it worst sport ever?

Pete Dunham

Nov 8, 2015
This team still needs Kyle Lowry to be at his best in order for them to win games, which shows even after spending almost a 130 million dollars on role players, including the worst signing in this franchise history, Terrence Ross. Who the **** gives 30 million dollars to this guy when you have Gerald Green playing for 2 million?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
This team still needs Kyle Lowry to be at his best in order for them to win games, which shows even after spending almost a 130 million dollars on role players, including the worst signing in this franchise history, Terrence Ross. Who the **** gives 30 million dollars to this guy when you have Gerald Green playing for 2 million?

:biglaugh:

Not even close.

Especially once you disregard the fact that Ross' contract is essentially valuable under the financial realities of the new uber-cap era in the next few seasons with the new TV deal vs the fact that Gerald Green's deal is the old cap and financial scale and on a guy who is older and has far less growth potential (and for whom the GM isn't paying a "gambler's premium" against that potential for future growth)

Last edited:

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
:biglaugh:

Not even close.

Especially once you disregard the fact that Ross' contract is essentially valuable under the financial realities of the new uber-cap era in the next few seasons with the new TV deal vs the fact that Gerald Green's deal is the old cap and financial scale and on a guy who is older and has far less growth potential (and for whom the GM isn't paying a "gambler's premium" against that potential for future growth)

I do agree, the new money is stupid, that said in his time in Toronto Ross has gone nowhere in terms of his game. I get frustrated watching him throw up open 3 after open 3 and brick them. He looked like he turned a page in the pre season, his d was good he was aggressive and was hitting his share of open threes.

But he looks like he's reverted back to the Ross who settles for the jump shot and is too afraid to put the ball on the floor and go to the rim. What's he getting 11 million a season over the next three, I understand seeing something in him. I don't understand him reverting back to the useless Ross after showing glimpses of what he's capable of. 33 million must buy 1 decent to good game for every 5~8 games played in today's game...

I ain't even mad about the cash, he would have promptly got it somewhere. I am mad that we have him for 3 more season's, and have to watch his inconsistencies and get frustrated for what roughly another 246+ games...

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I do agree, the new money is stupid, that said in his time in Toronto Ross has gone nowhere in terms of his game. I get frustrated watching him throw up open 3 after open 3 and brick them. He looked like he turned a page in the pre season, his d was good he was aggressive and was hitting his share of open threes.

But he looks like he's reverted back to the Ross who settles for the jump shot and is too afraid to put the ball on the floor and go to the rim. What's he getting 11 million a season over the next three, I understand seeing something in him. I don't understand him reverting back to the useless Ross after showing glimpses of what he's capable of. 33 million must buy 1 decent to good game for every 5~8 games played in today's game...

I ain't even mad about the cash, he would have promptly got it somewhere. I am mad that we have him for 3 more season's, and have to watch his inconsistencies and get frustrated for what roughly another 246+ games...

He could still be utterly replaceable as a bench guy and he still wouldn't be the worst contract in Raptors history.

Easy #1 is Hedo

after that you've got $5m per year to Linas Kleiza to be absolutely unplayable, $6m+ per for 3 years that yielded 1 year of Hakeem Olajuwon's shambling corpse, like $8m+ per for 3 years of Landry Fields sitting on the bench. $10m per of Primo's soft-as-gnocchi act. There are at least 5-6 contracts that are worse than Ross

Pete Dunham

Nov 8, 2015
No one was giving Ross that kind of cash after showing nothing in the playoffs. Teams know its his 4th year in the league. The guy is advertised as a shooter but he can't shoot. Lou Williams, Paul Pierce, Corey Brewer, Josh Smith, JR Smith, Jeremy Lin, Iman Shump are all on cheaper deals and contribute more on the court than Ross does.

Masai Ujiri outbid himself on a player that will probably be in the d league after this contract runs out.

Hedo was the right signing at that time. Did you see his performance in the playoffs? It was a great signing. It was unfortunate he didn't get the ball as often with Jose Calderon pounding the ball for 20 seconds of the shot clock. In Orlando he was the playmaker, in Toronto Triano turned him into a jumpshooter.

Ross has done nothing to warrant an extension in the NBA. I do agree about Landry Fields though.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Ross' contract is completely different now. So comparing him to people that were signed before is useless.

His new deal is basically 6/7 million before the cap went all stupid.

Could be worse, could be paying him Tristan Thompson money..

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
No one was giving Ross that kind of cash after showing nothing in the playoffs. Teams know its his 4th year in the league. The guy is advertised as a shooter but he can't shoot. Lou Williams, Paul Pierce, Corey Brewer, Josh Smith, JR Smith, Jeremy Lin, Iman Shump are all on cheaper deals and contribute more on the court than Ross does.

Masai Ujiri outbid himself on a player that will probably be in the d league after this contract runs out.

Hedo was the right signing at that time. Did you see his performance in the playoffs? It was a great signing. It was unfortunate he didn't get the ball as often with Jose Calderon pounding the ball for 20 seconds of the shot clock. In Orlando he was the playmaker, in Toronto Triano turned him into a jumpshooter.

Ross has done nothing to warrant an extension in the NBA. I do agree about Landry Fields though.

"That kind of cash" is nothing in the new financial era for the NBA thanks to the tv deal. We're talking like 200% inflation. Dion is right: If this were a few years ago, that contract would scale out to more like 5-7 mil for a guy who comes off the bench as a regular rotation player. And while it's still a healthy raise for a guy who has yet to establish himself the way he was expected, it's really not an outrageous number.

I'm not saying it's a "good" contract. It might turn out to be a total bust. It might turn out like the Amir and DeRozan contracts where it looks outright stupid at the beginning and by the end we're all wondering what we were fretting about. Either way at this point in time it's miles away from being anything close to one of the worst contracts in Raptors history.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
xgf5v5dpmfhxfgzcevia-z3y3romxdgtklzutlphwye.png

Game Day: Raptors vs. Knicks
Posted: Nov 10, 2015

Matt Tierney - Raptors.com

Time: (7:30PM ET - SNET1, TSN1050)

The Raptors (5-2) return home to face the New York Knicks (3-4) after finishing their four-game road trip at 2-2. Following encouraging wins over Dallas and Oklahoma City early last week, the Raps dropped the final two games of their road trip in Florida to the Magic and the Heat. The Knicks have started their season positively with road wins over Washington and Milwaukee which puts them in second place behind Toronto in the Atlantic Division standings.

projectedlineups-111015.jpg

WHO’S HOT?

Kristaps Porzingis – It’s not always easy getting selected by the Knicks on Draft Night. The crowd in New York doesn’t always give their draftees the warmest of receptions. No. 4 overall pick, Kristaps Porzingis experienced it this past draft. Coming over from Europe, he was largely unknown to the North American basketball fan. Feelings have changed and, to start the season, Porzingis has been a breath of fresh air for the Knicks. The rookie has recorded three double-doubles in New York’s first seven games and has provided length and athleticism on both ends of the floor.

Jonas Valanciunas – It was hard to find many highlights after Sunday’s 20-point loss in Miami, but the continued quality play of Jonas Valanciunas was one of them. After another strong outing in Orlando, JV looked locked in offensively for the first half against Miami and finished the game as the leading scorer with 17 points. When given the opportunities, Valanciunas makes the most of them as he sits sixth in the NBA in FG% and leads the Raptors once again in rebounds. He will look to stay aggressive offensively tonight versus Robin Lopez and the New York Knicks.

Toronto Raptors-New York Knicks: Game preview

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptors/2015/11/09/toronto-raptors-new-york-knicks-game-preview.html

AIR CANADA CENTRE

Tip off: 7:30 p.m.

TV: Sportsnet One

Radio: TSN 1050

Knicks starters: Sasha Vujacic, Jose Calderon, Carmelo Anthony, Kristaps Porzingis, Robin Lopez.

Toronto starters: Kyle Lowry, DeMar DeRozan, James Johnson, Luis Scola, Jonas Valanciunas.

Key matchup: Carmelo Anthony vs. James Johnson.

It could very well be injured DeMarre Carroll who starts for Toronto and gets Anthony, but whether it’s Johnson or whoever, slowing the prolific Knicks scorer is paramount to success. Anthony is shooting just 37 per cent from the floor but he still averages 21.4 points per game and is the focal point of what New York does on offence.

Need to know: The Knicks are 3-4 after beating the Lakers at home and seven-foot rookie Kristaps Porzingis continues to impress . . . Ex-Raptor Jose Calderon had 12 points, five rebounds and three assists against Los Angeles but he’s been struggling, shooting just 32 per cent from the field and 27 per cent from three-point range amid calls for his removal from the starting lineup . . . Just the third home game of the season for Toronto, and the Raptors face six of the next seven on the road . . . Opponents are shooting just 41 per cent against Toronto, putting the Raptors in the top five in that statistical category; New York is shooting 41 per cent as a team.

Up next: Wednesday at Philadelphia, 7 p.m.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
He could still be utterly replaceable as a bench guy and he still wouldn't be the worst contract in Raptors history.

Easy #1 is Hedo

after that you've got $5m per year to Linas Kleiza to be absolutely unplayable, $6m+ per for 3 years that yielded 1 year of Hakeem Olajuwon's shambling corpse, like $8m+ per for 3 years of Landry Fields sitting on the bench. $10m per of Primo's soft-as-gnocchi act. There are at least 5-6 contracts that are worse than Ross

I bet you could put together a strong arguement for Landry Fields being #1. A signing with the intention of handcuffing the Knicks into matching so you could hopefully sign Steve Nash. The Knicks then called the bluff.

Now that is bad. He's my personal #1.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
I bet you could put together a strong arguement for Landry Fields being #1. A signing with the intention of handcuffing the Knicks into matching so you could hopefully sign Steve Nash. The Knicks then called the bluff.

Now that is bad. He's my personal #1.

Not only that, but it was known when they did the physical that he was having nerve problems of some kind in his elbow.

So many red flags and he literally did nothing. Not even really play. At least T Ross can still wear the jersey. *knock on wood*

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel

I'm almost certain there would be at least a couple of teams that would have given that contract to Ross and maybe even paid him more.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Not only that, but it was known when they did the physical that he was having nerve problems of some kind in his elbow.

So many red flags and he literally did nothing. Not even really play. At least T Ross can still wear the jersey. *knock on wood*

What kills me as well, is Nash then signed with the Lakers and the Raptors still had time to just pull the deal and go "nah", but BC stuck to his guns to get the great young player...

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

Hedo was moreso a product of Dwight's dominance.

Pete Dunham

Nov 8, 2015
Ross' contract is completely different now. So comparing him to people that were signed before is useless.

His new deal is basically 6/7 million before the cap went all stupid.

Could be worse, could be paying him Tristan Thompson money..

All the players i mentioned were signed in the new cap era. Hard to believe, right?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
just out of curiosity, does anyone know off hand if the knicks choose which draft pick they give us before the lottery commences or after?

There's no choice for us/Knicks. The only choice belongs to the Nuggets, who can elect to swap with the Knicks because of the Carmelo trade. The Raptors simply get whatever pick the Knicks end up with after the Denver decision.

So it will either be:

If Denver ends up with a higher pick than New York:
-Denver keeps their own pick
-Raptors get the Knicks' pick.

If New York ends up with a higher pick than Denver:
-Denver elects to swap picks. They take the Knicks' pick
-The Knicks get Denver's pick because of the swap, but must pass it along to the Raptors.

and then obviously the Raptors also get their own pick, barring making a trade with it this season.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Still can't believe we got a 1st round pick for Bargnani LOL
Masai fleeced New York twice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad