Raptors Discussion: v54|It's on|5-2 Cancel all parades. the end has come. Everything REALLY sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
Last thread was full. For more information regarding my previous post:

Report: NBA to seed playoff teams regardless of division winners
By James Herbert | NBA writer
June 25, 2015 6:48 pm ET

The NBA is getting started with playoff reform, according to USA Today's Jeff Zillgitt:

This means that no longer will regular-season division winners be guaranteed a top-four seed in ths postseason. Divisions are arbitrary, so it was weird how much impact they had on playoff matchups.

Next up, doing something about conferences. Geography shouldn't have robbed us of Russell Westbrook in the postseason, right? Baby steps, I guess.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...d-playoff-teams-regardless-of-division-winner

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
Last year was a noticeably awful year for DD shooting wise. He not only attempts shots in the worst area of the floor known to man (unless your name is Dirk), but he did it at an excruciatingly poor efficiency.

http://nbasavant.com/player.php?player_id=201942

Jump shots, honestly, he can stick those for the most part. The problem with him is his needless attempts at turnarounds, fadeaways, pullups, step backs, floaters, you name it. I'm hoping next season he looks for the extra pass more often and steers clear of those shot selections. He has to know that he can't keep falling back on an ISO when he has multiple options on the floor.

DD is an enigma for sure. If you look at his last two months, he was lights out. It's frustrating knowing that he's capable of playing like that, but only does for a short period of time.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I haven't watched the presser this morning yet because I had the opportunity to sleep in and didn't want to get up at 7, but interesting that they haven't announced the Biyombo signing.

Should we start the DeAndre-esque fretting that some other org has showed up at his house with tents and sleeping bags?

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Interesting to see James only sign a 2 year deal. Is the cap suppose to go up again soon so he can make even more money per year?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I got my answer to the Biyombo question: he's being signed with a non MLE, non BAE salary exception called the "room exception." If they sign him now it will eat into the cap space a bit even though it's a deal that would allow his deal to push the team past the cap. So they'll likely hold off on the official contract until they're sure they're done with the off-seasons shopping.

Also found this good run-down of the roster, cap space, and potential for other movement:

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2015/07/09/post-moratorium-toronto-raptors-salary-cap-update/

Interesting to see James only sign a 2 year deal. Is the cap suppose to go up again soon so he can make even more money per year?

Yep. Cap goes up next year and then probably goes up again the year after that because the NBA's new TV deal kicks in soon and that's going to drive revenue (and thus the cap) through the roof.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014

I think he'll opt out again next year and just keep on doing that until the cap settles and sign a max deal. I also think he might consider leaving the Cavs if they win the title. NY and LA awaits

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Kings are apparently interested in Josh Smith after having signed Rondo.

a PG who can't shoot passing to a PF who thinks he's a SF who can't stop shooting. Brilliant! now to set the over/under on another Cousins meltdown which punches his ticket out of town because of the still-simmering Karl feud.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Guess i'm late on this one but Scola seems like a decent signing especially at that price. His per 36 numbers are actually really good considering his role and price. Significantly better than Amir's actually. So what's the catch? is he not good defensively?

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Guess i'm late on this one but Scola seems like a decent signing especially at that price. His per 36 numbers are actually really good considering his role and price. Significantly better than Amir's actually. So what's the catch? is he not good defensively?

He's just not really outstanding at anything and can't play the power game. He's a very underrated passer. Need to run some big to big plays with him and JV.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

He's alright defensively, a good rebounder, and ok offensive player. He's pretty much a backup at this point of his career, but he'll do the job well and not be as much of a constant injury risk as Amir on his wonky ankles.

and yeah, compared to Amir's received contract from Boston it's a gigantic steal

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Kings are apparently interested in Josh Smith after having signed Rondo.

a PG who can't shoot passing to a PF who thinks he's a SF who can't stop shooting. Brilliant! now to set the over/under on another Cousins meltdown which punches his ticket out of town because of the still-simmering Karl feud.

Rondo was never a great shooter. He can still score tho and still is an elite passing pg, who has elite defense. But he hasn't been the same guy since his injury.

As for Smith, well the guy is-was an top end talent he's just got a 1cent way of approaching the game.

He started getting back to basics on the rockets but if he's put In a situation where he's counted on to be a fixture in a teams offence the Smith that nobody wants will shine through....

Great talen extremely bad tunnelvision type player who could have been elite imo.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Summer Camp Roster

And dates please, and how many games will we be able to see. :help:

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Why does mark Cuban etc think one player Deandre is the end of the world and the Dallas franchise going forward? I don't get it? Since when does one player make a championship?

Thanks

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
Why does mark Cuban etc think one player Deandre is the end of the world and the Dallas franchise going forward? I don't get it? Since when does one player make a championship?

Thanks

It doesn't make a championship, but it can make a team exponentially better. The Mavs with DeAndre are likely a playoff team. In addition, it would help lure other free agents or players through trades. I doubt any player would want to come to Dallas now.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
It doesn't make a championship, but it can make a team exponentially better. The Mavs with DeAndre are likely a playoff team. In addition, it would help lure other free agents or players through trades. I doubt any player would want to come to Dallas now.

Thanks. :) I do follow NBA just not religiously thus all my personnel questions from time to time.

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
$70M for Enes Kanter....

Makes me curious what Jonas is going to get on his next contract.

With DeAndre going back to LAC, Wes Matthews will get the same contract from Dallas. Yes, Wes Matthews will be making $17.5 million for the next 4 seasons. :laugh:

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
With DeAndre going back to LAC, Wes Matthews will get the same contract from Dallas. Yes, Wes Matthews will be making $17.5 million for the next 4 seasons. :laugh:

What are gm's thinking giving these kind of contracts out? I understand salaries going up with revenues etc but the money they are shelling out is nuts.

How many league max players are there going to be after next season. The league is headed for a major wakeup call and they have no one left to blame but them selves.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
And dates please, and how many games will we be able to see. :help:

3 guaranteed games:

Friday Jul 10th @ 6:30pm et/3:30pm pt vs Sacramento
Sunday Jul 12th @ 6pm et/3pm pt vs Chicago
Monday Jul 13th @ 10pm et/7pm pt vs Houston

after that there's the elimination tourney where the time and games are tba.

The roster:

Centres
Dallin Bachynski*
Jordan Bachynski*
Lucas Nogueira#

Forwards
Bruno Caboclo#
DeAndre Daniels#
Michale Kyser
Ronald Roberts
Mitchell Watt
Axel Toupane

Guards
Delon Wright#
Norman Powell#
Drew Crawford
Phil Greene IV
Gary Talton
Philip Scrubb*

*Canadian
#On Raptors roster/rights held by Raptors.

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2015/07/09/raptors-summer-league-schedule-kings-bulls-and-rockets/

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
3 guaranteed games:

Friday Jul 10th @ 6:30pm et/3:30pm pt vs Sacramento
Sunday Jul 12th @ 6pm et/3pm pt vs Chicago
Monday Jul 13th @ 10pm et/7pm pt vs Houston

after that there's the elimination tourney where the time and games are tba.

The roster:

Centres
Dallin Bachynski*
Jordan Bachynski*
Lucas Nogueira#

Forwards
Bruno Caboclo#
DeAndre Daniels#
Michale Kyser
Ronald Roberts
Mitchell Watt
Axel Toupane

Guards
Delon Wright#
Norman Powell#
Drew Crawford
Phil Greene IV
Gary Talton
Philip Scrubb*

*Canadian
#On Raptors roster/rights held by Raptors.

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2015/07/09/raptors-summer-league-schedule-kings-bulls-and-rockets/

Is he the 7'2 250 pound guy from Arizona State that I'm thinking of?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Is he the 7'2 250 pound guy from Arizona State that I'm thinking of?

yessir. His brother is 7'0 265 as well and played his college ball with Delon Wright.

EDIT: Also I should've noted that I think sometimes those game start times are approximate. For the Orlando Summer League at least when one game ended, the next started almost right away. Can't remember if they do it the same in Vegas, but that could make for earlier starts possibly. Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad