Raptors Discussion: v53 | Raps' hostage-free FA signings | Joseph/Carroll presser Thu 9th @10am ET/7am PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
I am not a huge basketball fan but follow the raps. It seemed the team changed a bit after that trade? Didn't seem as co hesive? I know they had lots of wins etc but didn't seem as co hesive?

Am I way off on this thought?

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I am not a huge basketball fan but follow the raps. It seemed the team changed a bit after that trade? Didn't seem as co hesive? I know they had lots of wins etc but didn't seem as co hesive?

Not at all. It was just chucking, chucking, and more chucking.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Let him walk. I said it long ago Lou is going to get way more then toronto will or should be willing to spend on what he brings. Use his money on upgrading the starting lineup, because there's a lot of options for Toronto via trade or free agency.

I also wouldn't be suprised to see GV, traded and someone like lin brought in to backup kyle.

It's not going to be easy finding a legit starting sf or pf but there are options. Would love to steal offer sheet the rebounding machine. TT. And steal Harris away from the magic.

Val
Thompson
Harris
Demar
Kyle

That's a legit starting 5.

Not used to people calling Lowry by his 1st name. I was like who the hell is Kyle and where did he come from.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Three Low Key Unrestricted Free Agents That Could Help

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2015/06/18/three-low-key-unrestricted-free-agents-that-could-help/

Mike Dunleavy, 6’9”, 34 years old, Small Forward – $3M

Dunleavy is old and slow, yet retains a skill-set that any team can find a use for. A career 38% three-point shooter, he shot over 40% last year from downtown with the Bulls in Tom Thibodeau’s underrated offense. Dwane Casey allegedly has a desire to spread the floor, and if James Johnson isn’t cutting it, then Dunleavy certainly can. Defensively, Dunleavy has good 100.4 rating, and has historically been a disciplined defender. He doesn’t gamble, sticks to the plan (assuming there is one), and has a reputation of being a sturdy, professional and consistent presence.

The downside is that he’s 34 and giving him minutes would be counter to any youth movement the Raptors may be undertaking. The 15-year veteran doesn’t have the swagger or shot-making ability of Paul Pierce, but would provide a senior presence in the locker room, and a tangible threat on the court, both of which the Raptors could find room for. He could be used in a variety of offensive schemes because he’s a great cutter to the rim, spreads the court, and is an able passer with strong fundamentals (always looking up).

Dunleavy made $3M last season in 63 games, and all indications are that they Bulls are interested in retaining him. Giving Dunleavy a one or two year deal above his current rate could entice him away.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
predraftworkout-img-061815.gif
Raptors Pre-Draft Workout: June 18th

The Raptors have announced the following participants for the pre-draft workouts for June 18th at the Raptors practice court at Air Canada Centre:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

lou williams is expected to receive strong interest from teams that include the sacramento kings, los angeles lakers, new york knicks and brooklyn nets, providing a clear competition for the toronto raptors to retain the nba’s reigning sixth man of the year, league sources told realgm.

The raptors and williams have expressed a mutual interest, and there will be a window early in free agency for toronto to finalize an agreement that’s viable for the 6-foot-2 guard.

As one of the most potent scorers on the market, williams could scan league-wide possibilities of a three-year deal in the range of $27 million or four years for $35 million.

for the season, williams scored a career-best 15.5 points per game while averaging 25.2 minutes — a magnificent resurgence as a player after tearing his acl in 2013.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

The more interesting name in that list to me is Kosta Koufos. He's a big, strong interior-anchoring C who provides good defence and rebounding even without great offence. With Jonas still developing and Casey reluctant as ever to play him in late-game situations, Koufos would be a guy you could put in those positions to hold late leads or shut down a team's offence close to the basket.

He made $3m the last couple of years and given his career arc to date he's not likely to make big jumps in production/output. So he could probably be had for a reasonable raise. Give him a 2 year deal for a little over $8m and a 3rd year player option with the promise of playing on a playoff team and getting important defensive assignments alongside a fair amount of 2nd unit minutes. Only thing that really stands in the way at that point is some dumb team throwing $5-6m a season and a starter's job at him.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
The more interesting name in that list to me is Kosta Koufos. He's a big, strong interior-anchoring C who provides good defence and rebounding even without great offence. With Jonas still developing and Casey reluctant as ever to play him in late-game situations, Koufos would be a guy you could put in those positions to hold late leads or shut down a team's offence close to the basket.

He made $3m the last couple of years and given his career arc to date he's not likely to make big jumps in production/output. So he could probably be had for a reasonable raise. Give him a 2 year deal for a little over $8m and a 3rd year player option with the promise of playing on a playoff team and getting important defensive assignments alongside a fair amount of 2nd unit minutes. Only thing that really stands in the way at that point is some dumb team throwing $5-6m a season and a starter's job at him.

Ya he does look interesting and has a connection with Masai Ujiri

Kosta Koufos, 7’0â€, 26 years old, Center, $3M

Here’s Masai Ujiri’s Denver connection playing a part in this article. Koufos has carved himself a name as a reliable, unflashy, underrated backup center. Ujiri acquired Koufos as part of the Carmelo Anthony deal from Minnesota, and a year later signed him to a contract extension. Clearly, he thinks highly of the center who since then has only improved, and was a bargain at $3M.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
R.J. Hunter on Raptors' radar

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/06/18/rj-hunter-on-raptors-radar

R.J. Hunter has a skill every team in the NBA can use.

As a 6-foot-6 shooting guard, who is considered one of the best pure shooters in this class, has garnered plenty of attention.

He’s not considered an early pick in the upcoming draft but there’s little question his skill can transfer rather quickly from college to the NBA.

He’s not necessarily at a position of need for the Raptors (although where Terrence Ross eventually settles could change that) but picking 20th, the Raptors are not really in a position to draft for need.

They need to get the best player they can get at that spot regardless of position and Hunter is right in that wheelhouse.

Mock drafts — and yes, we will repeat, these are informed guesses at best, wild guesses at worst — have Hunter going anywhere from 17th to 30th, which is at least a gauge of where he ranks in this class.

If he’s still around when the Raptors pick comes up, he’ll definitely be a consideration.

But picking 20th, the Raptors aren’t going to get a complete player. There will be deficiency or at least some perceived warts on the guy they select.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Not Raptors related but Basketball Canada took a blow this week. Tristan Thompson declines representing Canada in Olympic Qualifying. He's citing his restricted free agency coming up. It's a fair reason but I hope Tristan didn't notify Team Canada of this just now. He's an extremely talented player but Tristan has to know the history with talented guys not playing for Canada. Hopefully Trey Lyles is given a shot if his new NBA team allows it.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Not Raptors related but Basketball Canada took a blow this week. Tristan Thompson declines representing Canada in Olympic Qualifying. He's citing his restricted free agency coming up. It's a fair reason but I hope Tristan didn't notify Team Canada of this just now. He's an extremely talented player but Tristan has to know the history with talented guys not playing for Canada. Hopefully Trey Lyles is given a shot if his new NBA team allows it.

TT has represented Canada often since he came into the league, I'll give him a pass on this one.

Any word on what the roster looks like? Any Wiggins?

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

I'll allow it since he just busted his ass off for 100+ games with a deep playoff run. He's probably dead tired.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I'll allow it since he just busted his ass off for 100+ games with a deep playoff run. He's probably dead tired.

I can understand that sentiment. I am just looking at it from the point of view this is the biggest tourney Canada has played in for some time. By that I mean a decent shot at qualifying for the Olympics. It's quite possible that if Canada doesn't qualify Thompson will have another 7 years to rest up if Canada doesn't make the last chance qualifier.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Toronto earned the 20th overall pick in this year’s draft after finishing the 2014-15 campaign with a team-record 49 wins. The 2015 NBA Draft will be held June 25 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn. Both rounds will be shown live on TSN2 and NBA TV Canada beginning at 7 p.m.

91Kadri91*

Honestly, **** Lou "chucker" Williams.

Stunts our offense out there. Just look how useless he was in the playoffs too.

Chucker? He had a .564 TS% this season. The Raptors also managed to score 7.3 more P/48 with Lou on the court, so he clearly didn't stunt their offense.

He did suck in the playoffs, though. Of course, all of the Raptors (excluding PPat) performed below expectations, and there were plenty who were worse than Lou.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton

which trade?

also is there a website for the NBA draft like eliteprospects or soemthing?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
If Lou wants to come back at a reasonable price, fine. But if some team is going to throw stupid money at him because he just won 6th man of the year, then he can walk. As a bench scorer he does his job well. And he was a surprisingly not-awful defender given his previous lack of commitment to that role, small size, and diminished athleticism. But I wouldn't miss his penchant for hero-ball shots late in games. Dude hits 1 out of every 10 of the ridiculous, asinine buzzer-beater shots he takes and he thinks that makes him "clutch" and entitles him to chuck it from wherever on the court he damn well pleases when there's less than 10 seconds left, even if the chance exists to get it to other open guys.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
That's kind of pathetic by TT.

Oh well...

See, I think NBA players (and NHL and MLB players as well) should concentrate on playing for their teams and not be off playing in these meaningless (in regards to the their league) international games.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Chucker? He had a .564 TS% this season. The Raptors also managed to score 7.3 more P/48 with Lou on the court, so he clearly didn't stunt their offense.

He did suck in the playoffs, though. Of course, all of the Raptors (excluding PPat) performed below expectations, and there were plenty who were worse than Lou.

I don't have numbers in front of me but I'm sure his FT % increased that TS% of his.

He takes so many stupid shots all the time so yes, I consider him a chucker, especially after that playoff performance.

Quite honestly with regards to the raptors roster the only player id keep is JV lol. The rest can gtfo for all I care cause we won't be winning **** all with Lowry and derozan as the 1 and 2 options.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
See, I think NBA players (and NHL and MLB players as well) should concentrate on playing for their teams and not be off playing in these meaningless (in regards to the their league) international games.

I don't know man, its a huge opportunity for Canada to qualify for the olympics. Would have hoped all our top guys would want to play.

Oh well.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Movin on up

Raps bringing in more prospects on the 23rd of June for workouts , does this mean their moving on up in the draft. :help:

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Five Things the Raptors Could do with the 20th Pick in the 2015 NBA Draft

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2015...ould-do-with-the-20th-pick-in-2015-nba-draft/

1. Find a role player

The best hope is that this pick might fetch you an established role player, and here I’m referencing guys like Mario Chalmers, Danilo Gallinari, or Jason Thompson. Even to get these guys, the 20th pick alone might not suffice and you’d have to throw in another player, unless you’re willing to eat a contract like, say, Trevor Ariza, who’s coming off a poor shooting year in Houston.

2. Draft a commodity, knowing they’ll never be great

The Raptors can pick a high-effort, NBA-readyish player who can contribute now. This generally means either drafting three-point shooting or rebounding/hustle. Here you’re looking for someone with college experience (so Kevin Looney’s out) who has a motor, works hard, has zero effort issues, and is willing to bust a gut (so, basically the opposite of Terrence Ross). Someone like Montrezl Harrel (projected 24th), who despite being undersized, could be a contributor at PF. He’s played three years in college hoping to inch his draft stock up to the first round, and appears to have done it. He can make defensive plays and isn’t just a brute-force player like Hansbrough, so he might be worth a look, or at least, his type could be considered. The problem here is that he can’t shoot, and if Casey’s bent on smaller lineups, that’s a necessity.

3. Upgrade your best player

Long shot here: try to package it along with whoever it takes to get someone better than DeRozan and Lowry, even if it means shipping one of the two. This is very hard difficult to accomplish because DeRozan and Lowry’s value isn’t high enough, and the 20th pick isn’t enough of a bait to entice someone to give up a ‘Tier 2’ NBA player. Realistically, you’d have to part with Jonas Valanciunas if you have a hope in getting someone like Ty Lawson (not that we’d want him, just saying that if you want to get a Lawson-caliber player, you’d have to part with a Valanciunas-caliber player).

4. Trade up

Trading into the lottery is easier said than done. This requires knowing exactly who you want, knowing what teams around you are going to do, and then striking a mutually beneficial deal between other clubs, hoping that your pick projections are accurate and you’re actually going to get the player you want. There’s too much coordination at play here for this to happen. There’s also the issue of assets that comes along, as the Raptors would have to part with someone actually useful to move up 6 spots, and I’m not talking about Vasquezish type players.

5. Swing for the fences…again

It’s hard seeing the Raptors pulling another Bruno Caboclo, though now with a D-League team to dump their prospects in, it’s not an impossibility. With free-agency looking like it’ll be competitive, it just doesn’t make sense to ‘waste’ a pick in the near-term, as it wouldn’t be the best utilization of resources. Perhaps if we were in tank-mode this would’ve been viable, but with the team looking to “build on the fly”, a draft-and-stash doesn’t compute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad