Speculation: V. 2014 Stars Offseason Thread: Spezza to the Rescue

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
not much reason to trade a guy on minimum salary.

How about you take Gonchar too and we can start talking?

We have our own Gonchar, called Scuderi. And while I'm not sure at what level Gonchar is playing hockey right now, Scuderi can be a lot better than he was at the end of last season. We're also at the cap, so there's no way we could afford to take a cap dump.

Does Dallas need help on the blueline? I know Robidas is gone, and looking over your D (while admitting I'm not hugely knowledgeable about your D) it seems a little thin...

Fair enough on not rushing out to trade someone who hasn't proven anything and is on a cheap contract.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
now that you mentioned it, we will gladly trade Määttä for Sceviour

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Question for you guys... what would you want for Colton Sceviour ?

Literally nothing ... and I"m not talking about because he's amazing or irreplaceable. I'm for sure not fishing for an even Gretzky can be traded comment.

What I mean is he's the classic more value to the team than any asset any other team would likely realistically offer.

He's fit in perfectly for Dallas and is close to league minimum. Those pieces are invaluable and tough to give up when you're playing near the cap. Dallas will be with Eakin and Dillon eventually signed.

He's a Rich Peverley starter kit IMO, and there's no one behind him that's close to pushing him out. You'd essentially have to come up with a player that has a similar cap hit but is a better fit for Dallas, and I just can't think of a scenario where that happens.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Does Dallas need help on the blueline? I know Robidas is gone, and looking over your D (while admitting I'm not hugely knowledgeable about your D) it seems a little thin...

Many Dallas fans would agree with you, but management does not. They're committed at this point to allowing Nemeth, Oleksiak, Klingberg, and Jokipakka earn a spot on the team. That's why the only move they made on D this summer was to buyout Rome.

Check back in a few weeks if those four fail to impress, but IMO one or two of them will easily meet or exceed Nill's expectations and prove him right for not making any moves.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
He's fit in perfectly for Dallas and is close to league minimum. Those pieces are invaluable and tough to give up when you're playing near the cap. Dallas will be with Eakin and Dillon eventually signed.

He's a Rich Peverley starter kit IMO, and there's no one behind him that's close to pushing him out. You'd essentially have to come up with a player that has a similar cap hit but is a better fit for Dallas, and I just can't think of a scenario where that happens.

Would you consider a young depth D (who's NHL ready) for him? Someone like Bortuzzo or Samuelsson. I know neither are sexy names, both both are on cheap comparable contracts and are NHL players (or in Sammy's case looked good when he was up last year).

Edit,
Many Dallas fans would agree with you, but management does not. They're committed at this point to allowing Nemeth, Oleksiak, Klingberg, and Jokipakka earn a spot on the team. That's why the only move they made on D this summer was to buyout Rome.

Check back in a few weeks if those four fail to impress, but IMO one or two of them will easily meet or exceed Nill's expectations and prove him right for not making any moves.

Fair enough.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Would you consider a young depth D (who's NHL ready) for him? Someone like Bortuzzo or Samuelsson. I know neither are sexy names, both both are on cheap comparable contracts and are NHL players (or in Sammy's case looked good when he was up last year).

I saw your edit, but Samuelsson is one guy I was wondering what PIT would do with him since he'll require waivers.

Hopefully he'll clear so you can have him for depth.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I saw your edit, but Samuelsson is one guy I was wondering what PIT would do with him since he'll require waivers.

Hopefully he'll clear so you can have him for depth.

I don't see us sending him down - because realistically none of the Pen fans believe he'd clear. I see us carrying 8D. Right now Maatta is still recovering from surgery that he had in late May that's expected to keep him out 4-6 weeks. So in the short term we don't believe it'll be an issue. However if he comes back sooner than expected (which is what it's starting to look like), it'll make things interesting. Ideally we move Scuderi, but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Is there a website that tracks zone time for certain players?

I was thinking about a quote from Tippett. I know it was him, but I can't remember when he said it. Something along the lines that he had this defender that everyone considered one of the best defensive D in the game. When he really started looking at his game though, he couldn't make a single pass so he spent all of his time in his own zone defending. He had another guy on the same team that wasn't great in his own zone, but he was a good offensive defender. Plus, he only spent about 20% of the time in the offensive zone. He ended with saying he traded the defensive defender.

I'd like to see a website that actually tracked zone time. I'd really be interested to see how much Daley and Goligoski improved from the beginning of the year to where they were at the end. Sort of a quantifiable picture of how well they played in terms of tilting the rink. I know Crosi and Fenwick tell a similar story with stats, but the percentage breakdown would be interesting.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Here's the exact quote FWIW:

His approach changed in the mid-1990s, when he served as head coach and general manager in the IHL, when he had to justify his payroll decisions. He was searching for a new way to evaluate the game, to understand "exactly what was happening on the ice."

"I'll give you an example," he said. "We had a player that was supposed to be a great, shut-down defenseman. He was supposedly the be-all, end-all of defensemen. But when you did a 10-game analysis of him, you found out he was defending all the time because he can't move the puck.

"Then we had another guy, who supposedly couldn't defend a lick. Well, he was defending only 20 percent of the time because he's making good plays out of our end. He may not be the strongest defender, but he's only doing it 20 percent of the time. So the equation works out better the other way. I ended up trading the other defenseman."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad