Speculation: V. 2014 Stars Offseason Thread: Spezza to the Rescue

bug

Jun 27, 2012
Would you guys be interested in moving Eakin + one of the 4 D kids (Oleksiak, Klingberg, Jokipaka or Nemeth) for Bogosian?

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Would you guys be interested in moving Eakin + one of the 4 D kids (Oleksiak, Klingberg, Jokipaka or Nemeth) for Bogosian?

Not really. Dallas has so much time to simmer these guys and see where they will end up. I dont really know if I would move any of them specifically for Bogo alone (but I have my Dallas bias glasses on as well). Bogo just never really impressed me.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX

yes without a doubt. rather it not be klingberg (righty) or Nemeth but Ollie or Jokipakka + Eakin would be an acceptable price to upgrade the blueline right now.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Not really. Dallas has so much time to simmer these guys and see where they will end up. I dont really know if I would move any of them specifically for Bogo alone (but I have my Dallas bias glasses on as well). Bogo just never really impressed me.

bogo is better than any prospect we have and suffered last year with a terrible noel for a coach. Big, righty, with a good first pass and above average skating. he'd fit our system to a tee.

I like Eakin but think he gets moved sooner or later. Regardless this is an upgrade for Dallas in the next two years at least, because Fiddler or someone can fill in for Eakin.

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
bogo is better than any prospect we have and suffered last year with a terrible noel for a coach. Big, righty, with a good first pass and above average skating. he'd fit our system to a tee.

I like Eakin but think he gets moved sooner or later. Regardless this is an upgrade for Dallas in the next two years at least, because Fiddler or someone can fill in for Eakin.

Does Bogosian have injury issues? Doesnt seem like he can play a full season for what ever reason. I think it just be my own idea that we dont need to rush our defensemen right now as our window is just opening now.

Also, I think Eakin is the kind of guy you want in your bottom 6 on a cup team. I know lots of people say hes future trade bate, but Im not so sure.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Does Bogosian have injury issues? Doesnt seem like he can play a full season for what ever reason. I think it just be my own idea that we dont need to rush our defensemen right now as our window is just opening now.

How is that rushing? by definition you're pushing out the kids because bogo has taken one of those spots. ideally he'd make daley available in a year when whichever of the other prospects are nhl ready.

bug

Jun 27, 2012
Might need to include Mr. Gonchar to make the money work, oh darn. Send them Connuton also to help clear out the logjam.

Eakin
Gonchar
Jokipaka
Connauton

Dillon/Bogo
Daley/Goose
Nemeth/Benn

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
How is that rushing? by definition you're pushing out the kids because bogo has taken one of those spots. ideally he'd make daley available in a year when whichever of the other prospects are nhl ready.

Oh, I worded that weird. I meant that I dont think its urgent right now to change our defense. While it is the glaring hole in our current roster, Bogosian wont turn us into much more than we are now and Im not sure I want to move any of those guys and Eakin for him. Id prefer to let them develop and see where each of them go. Im sentimental though so Im bad with asset management anyways. If it were someone better than Bogosian then I would probably do it, but hes only hit 30pts once and has never played a full season. I havent seen him enough to know if his defensive game is any better, if thats the case then Im the wrong person to be talking about this.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I hope this is just Eklund being Eklund. I don't want Kane.

I have never bought into the message board rumors that Kane is some sort of locker room problem.
I do think his development has stalled. It's been about three seasons since his thirty goal season.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Oh, I worded that weird. I meant that I dont think its urgent right now to change our defense. While it is the glaring hole in our current roster, Bogosian wont turn us into much more than we are now and Im not sure I want to move any of those guys and Eakin for him. Id prefer to let them develop and see where each of them go. Im sentimental though so Im bad with asset management anyways. If it were someone better than Bogosian then I would probably do it, but hes only hit 30pts once and has never played a full season. I havent seen him enough to know if his defensive game is any better, if thats the case then Im the wrong person to be talking about this.

I don't think it's urgent either but I'm higher on Bogosian's potential than I am on Eakin or Oleksiak/Jokipakka. He also speeds up the timetable a year or so which isn't a bad thing. He's suffered the same thing E. Kane has, stagnation under a poor coach regime. We'll see what Laviolette does for him this year.

I think the inability to dump Cole/Gonchar is going to hold this team up this year but hopefully the handful of guys competing for spots will get opportunities either through injury or rotation to get their feet wet in the NHL and be ultra ready starting the following season.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
I'm definetely not very high on Bogosian if the cost is Eakin plus a good prospect. His offensive abilities are not great as evidenced by his lackluster scoring numbers, and he has not been depended upon by either of the Winnipeg coaches to play the really tough minutes on the back end - Trouba and Mark Stuart got the call over him most times.

If there's a quality top pairing defenceman (Byfuglien) being offered I wouldn't mind the Stars overpaying. Not for a guy who doesn't really do anything well and seems to be floating along mostly justified on the hype of a high draft selection.

**I mean the main argument here seems to be "oh well his coach who got fired didn't use him properly". Well if he has any real talent I'd expect him to show something whether he's being used in the perfect scenario or not. What if (for whatever reason) Ruff can't give him exactly the right useage? Who's to say he's going to be any better in our system than he is in Winnipeg's. No thank you.

Last edited:

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
**I mean the main argument here seems to be "oh well his coach who got fired didn't use him properly". Well if he has any real talent I'd expect him to show something whether he's being used in the perfect scenario or not. What if (for whatever reason) Ruff can't give him exactly the right useage? Who's to say he's going to be any better in our system than he is in Winnipeg's. No thank you.

I don't think it's fair to expect any player to excel in every situation. The list is long of players who struggled in one system and thrived in another. There's plenty of reason to believe he would fit in with the other smart, big, fast players Nill seems to be collecting.

Primetimey*

If Eakin isn't signed by the start of the season, would you rather Faksa or Morin gets the call up and replace him?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
If Eakin isn't signed by the start of the season, would you rather Faksa or Morin gets the call up and replace him?

Faksa is the easy choice IMO.

You're trying to replace his defensive game not his offense.

IMO though they'll just play Fiddler and Horcoff at center. I don't think they'd call either up.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
Keep them both down and roll with Fiddler and Horcoff. This could be a chance to break into the lineup for Glennie, McKenzie, Ritchie, and I am sure I am still missing someone.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I remember Fiddler doing well with Garbutt and Roussell last year. I'd move him up to 3rd and have Horcoff centering the 4th line. It's too bad about Ritchie's injury because this could have been a great time to try him on the 2nd line with Cole down on the 4th taking Horcoff's spot. If he's recovered by the time the season starts and Eakin is still out then that's what I'd most like to see happen. I think the real competition for training camp will be which defenseman would be replacing Dillon

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I think the real competition for training camp will be which defenseman would be replacing Dillon

To me that's easy too. Nemeth replaced him in the playoffs picking up bigger minutes. My guess is he's the one that would pick up the bigger assignment here as well.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
To me that's easy too. Nemeth replaced him in the playoffs picking up bigger minutes. My guess is he's the one that would pick up the bigger assignment here as well.

Yes I agree. But I'm curious who will be filling the free spot on the bottom pairing/7th defenseman. Ideally I'd like to see us dress 7 defenseman with limited minutes for Gonchar so there's an opportunity for Oleksiak or Klingberg to make the jump and play on a pair with Connauton

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Yes I agree. But I'm curious who will be filling the free spot on the bottom pairing/7th defenseman. Ideally I'd like to see us dress 7 defenseman with limited minutes for Gonchar so there's an opportunity for Oleksiak or Klingberg to make the jump and play on a pair with Connauton

Why would you not just sit Gonchar and play them? That's the only way it's going to happen. Playing 7 D is not a long term option, and I'd say Dallas is one of the least likely teams to do that. They role 4 lines as consistently as anyone in the league.

I'd like to believe the playoffs were an indication that Ruff is going to be comfortable benching vets moving forward. If he's not, so be it. It's not worth changing the identity of the team over. Playing all 4 lines is one of the things I like best about Ruff.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
This is a mixture of AHL and NHL question, but it's mostly NHL ....

Knowing the veteran situation down in Texas with the Henderson news today, is Nic Blanchard here on a PTO to try and earn an NHL contract as a 13th/14th forward?

If the answer is no, there's no reason for him to be here. Texas isn't going to the rotating veteran mess in Texas again I would assume. They specifically traded for Henderson last year to fix that mess.

So if the answer is no ... that would mean Dallas might believe he could be NHL depth. Hopefully they'll make a comment about what both sides are looking for in this arrangement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad