Utica Comets enter 10 year affiliation with the New Jersey Devils

CanadianCoyote

Oct 11, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Man, the Devils burn through their AHL affiliates like very few teams do. They've run the gambit all the way back to their very first affiliate.

I assume this means Vancouver's likely going to be looking for an affiliate somewhere close to home now that it seems like the Comets will be becoming the new Utica Devils; maybe we see the return of Abbotsford to the AHL? The Canucks have had interest in using the arena in Abbotsford for their AHL team...

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Man, the Devils burn through affiliates like nothing, christ. I assume this means Vancouver's likely going to be looking for an affiliate somewhere close to home; maybe we see the return of Abbotsford to the AHL?
nope....

the city blocked the Flames, why would the Canucks return home with the affiliate knowing the scenario they're in right now... No other league has even approached Abbotsford since the Flames/Heat were cancelled in BC.... THERE is still no contract past 2022 if the Heat were returned to Stockton.

Abbotsford was tried it didn't work same with Newfoundland (aka St. John's) until Edmonton tried playing in the Leafs backyard.... which is why the Marlies left Newfoundland for Toronto, CC....

CSE would need an operator like what Esche/Mitchell did/are to create the Comets and/or operate a franchise... which is clearly the minority opinion the way the AHL is operated in the last decade or so....

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
For us Bingo folks, the only option is pretty much ECHL, right? I remember when the Devils first moved here there were rumors about possibly the Rangers, but I haven’t kept up to date on it. Seems like we’re running out of possible dance partners.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
For us Bingo folks, the only option is pretty much ECHL, right? I remember when the Devils first moved here there were rumors about possibly the Rangers, but I haven’t kept up to date on it. Seems like we’re running out of possible dance partners.
the Rangers likely aren't going anywhere as long as Hartford has Spectra and Portland combined running both franchises in both leagues whether it's the total control of the operation or the business end and XL Center likely isn't going anywhere either as long as Spectra controls that... Spectra also operates the arena in Binghamton as well last I checked.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Whether the Canucks would simply switch affiliations to Binghamton, which is about two hours south of Utica, isn’t known and a comment from the Canucks wasn’t yet available.

Canucks ownership has expressed interest in using the Abbotsford Centre, which was formerly home to the AHL’s Abbotsford Heat, as a base for their AHL team in the past. A number of NHL teams, including the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers, have moved their AHL teams to California in recent years.

Vancouver Canucks' AHL affiliate may move from Utica | The Province

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I don't know St.Louis used to have there AHL affliate in Peoria Illinois for years then just left went to chicago, then San Antonio now there with the Springfield Thunderbirds but are sharing Utica with the canucks right now
The difference is St. Louis sold the Peoria franchise to Vancouver, the Canucks then moved them to Utica.

After that St. Louis affiliated with the Wolves, that relationship soured as the Wolves like to do their own thing rather than cater to the NHL affiliate which is why many teams have problems with them, they shared with Vegas when the Golden Knights started. When Colorado bought the Eagles AHL membership, the Blues then took the now available San Antonio affiliation, and it was a very good partnership as the Blues could control the hockey ops while the Spurs handled the business side, nobody really expected Vegas to then buy the Rampage which left St. Louis to search again and they didn't want to go back with the Wolves so they affiliated with Springfield, who then shut down this season for Covid.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
(WBNG) -- Binghamton Devils Executive Vice President of Operations Tom Mitchell said the New Jersey Devils informed him earlier this week the AHL team will be relocated.

Mitchell said he received formal notice Wednesday.

"This is devastating news to us, to the community," said Mitchell. "The demands [the New Jersey Devils] were putting on us were absolutely impossible and we just couldn't comply with them. So it looks like we're going to part ways, and just try to move on."
Mitchell would not get into the details of the demands made by the Devils.

He said he had no indication of the B-Devils leaving prior to this week, and added the Devils did not tell him where they planned on moving the team.

Mitchell said they are looking at all options ahead of next season.

NJ Devils inform Binghamton ownership AHL team will be relocated

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
The difference is St. Louis sold the Peoria franchise to Vancouver, the Canucks then moved them to Utica.

After that St. Louis affiliated with the Wolves, that relationship soured as the Wolves like to do their own thing rather than cater to the NHL affiliate which is why many teams have problems with them, they shared with Vegas when the Golden Knights started. When Colorado bought the Eagles AHL membership, the Blues then took the now available San Antonio affiliation, and it was a very good partnership as the Blues could control the hockey ops while the Spurs handled the business side, nobody really expected Vegas to then buy the Rampage which left St. Louis to search again and they didn't want to go back with the Wolves so they affiliated with Springfield, who then shut down this season for Covid.
which was started ironically as the Springfield Indians, mk... Roy Boe, like Esche, became that liason between the parent club and the affiliate, then it was moved to Worcester, and that's when the Blues got involved after the league outlawed the right to operate as an independent... when the deal to Peoria was announced it didn't sit well with any fanbase the way they went about it, either...

remember, the AHL Offices are also in Springfield, so it seems they've been looked at as a favortism on how a franchise was granted to them... the side deal which allowed the Indians to become the Ice Cats, while the Falcons were created to continue that legacy... and then the deal 8 years ago now that Arizona bought the Falcons to place them in Tucson... different ownership in Springfield in 2015, same result, they 'stole' THE franchise from Portland unbeknowst to that fanbase or the then affiliate Florida Panthers, who weren't told of that agreement.

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
Whether the Canucks would simply switch affiliations to Binghamton, which is about two hours south of Utica, isn’t known and a comment from the Canucks wasn’t yet available.

Canucks ownership has expressed interest in using the Abbotsford Centre, which was formerly home to the AHL’s Abbotsford Heat, as a base for their AHL team in the past. A number of NHL teams, including the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers, have moved their AHL teams to California in recent years.

Vancouver Canucks' AHL affiliate may move from Utica | The Province
Unfortunately I don’t think Vancouver would pull out of Utica just to go to Binghamton - I think there’s a bigger plan in place that involves a move west.

Which goes back to my question earlier in the thread...looking at the current AHL landscape, is there even one possible team that could occupy Binghamton? I feel like we’re basically a lock for the ECHL at this point.

Reactions: bleedblue94

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
nope....

the city blocked the Flames, why would the Canucks return home with the affiliate knowing the scenario they're in right now... No other league has even approached Abbotsford since the Flames/Heat were cancelled in BC.... THERE is still no contract past 2022 if the Heat were returned to Stockton.

Abbotsford was tried it didn't work same with Newfoundland (aka St. John's) until Edmonton tried playing in the Leafs backyard.... which is why the Marlies left Newfoundland for Toronto, CC....

CSE would need an operator like what Esche/Mitchell did/are to create the Comets and/or operate a franchise... which is clearly the minority opinion the way the AHL is operated in the last decade or so....

At least you’re reliably wrong.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Unfortunately I don’t think Vancouver would pull out of Utica just to go to Binghamton - I think there’s a bigger plan in place that involves a move west.

Which goes back to my question earlier in the thread...looking at the current AHL landscape, is there even one possible team that could occupy Binghamton? I feel like we’re basically a lock for the ECHL at this point.

how familiar are u with the ECHL , ek, because there are a lot of hoops to travel to get there, but realistically, it might be more than an year to get acclimated to pursuing a franchise and convincing an affiliation that isn't already spoken for.... and with at least 2 new teams coming in 2022, maybe 3, when Savannah came totally out of nowhere to land an franchise to a previously untapped market.... I'm just not sure how committed Tom Mitchell will be landing a 3rd franchise/affiliation in almost 5 years time.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
At least you’re reliably wrong.
who says it was Abbotsford, though, PCS.

CSE would need what the Flames did with Fraser Valley Sports/Entertainment when they operated the Flames affiliate in BC... just as Calgary did with Saint John, all the way back to 2003.... Omaha, and the tribal sidebar of the Ak-Sar-Ben (Nebraska backwards, btw) then the incursion into Quad City by cancelling the Mallards out of that market before the Abbotsford debacle. I don't see the Aquillini's having enough power to focus on both the Canucks and the affiliation in the same market, nevermind the same province post pandemic.

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
how familiar are u with the ECHL , ek, because there are a lot of hoops to travel to get there, but realistically, it might be more than an year to get acclimated to pursuing a franchise and convincing an affiliation that isn't already spoken for.... and with at least 2 new teams coming in 2022, maybe 3, when Savannah came totally out of nowhere to land an franchise to a previously untapped market.... I'm just not sure how committed Tom Mitchell will be landing a 3rd franchise/affiliation in almost 5 years time.
Admittedly I’m not very familiar at all with the ECHL, but I do remember hearing that they’re trying to equal the number of teams in the AHL/NHL, so at least in my mind it seems like a good fit for both sides.

That being said, Binghamton is in a great spot geographically for the AHL, but I think we might be SOL.

I think Tom Mitchell will do anything he can to keep high level pro hockey in Binghamton, regardless of level. Will be interesting to see what happens.

The fans here deserve better than what NJ is doing, but sadly, they have a history of it. Hope the fans in Utica get better than what we got. They have an awesome fan base and deserve it.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
who says it was Abbotsford, though, PCS.

CSE would need what the Flames did with Fraser Valley Sports/Entertainment when they operated the Flames affiliate in BC... just as Calgary did with Saint John, all the way back to 2003.... Omaha, and the tribal sidebar of the Ak-Sar-Ben (Nebraska backwards, btw) then the incursion into Quad City by cancelling the Mallards out of that market before the Abbotsford debacle. I don't see the Aquillini's having enough power to focus on both the Canucks and the affiliation in the same market, nevermind the same province post pandemic.

Have you commuted from Vancouver to Abbotsford? Or vice versa?

Certainly the same TV market, but we’re reaching Inland Empire-to-downtown LA levels of WTF here.

Besides, name me an “elsewhere in BC” that doesn’t already have WHL? The answer to that question falls within the commuting distance parameters.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Admittedly I’m not very familiar at all with the ECHL, but I do remember hearing that they’re trying to equal the number of teams in the AHL/NHL, so at least in my mind it seems like a good fit for both sides.

That being said, Binghamton is in a great spot geographically for the AHL, but I think we might be SOL.

I think Tom Mitchell will do anything he can to keep high level pro hockey in Binghamton, regardless of level. Will be interesting to see what happens.

The fans here deserve better than what NJ is doing, but sadly, they have a history of it. Hope the fans in Utica get better than what we got, they have an awesome fan base and deserve it.
we're currently at 26 teams.... 14 of those are still active in this pandemic season, Fort Wayne was the last to start their season...the remaining 13 opted out due to the pandemic as the season progressed.... Brampton collapsed after attempting to justify a 3rd season among lease and or other issues and elected to cease operations at the end of this season even though they had opted out.... ECHL accepted their application to cease operations which leaves Ottawa and Belleville available should that become an option... all indications are those who opted out except Brampton will return to full membership status.... T/R, Coralville, Iowa and Savannah will be added within the next two seasons to bring it up to 29, maybe 30.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Have you commuted from Vancouver to Abbotsford? Or vice versa?

Certainly the same TV market, but we’re reaching Inland Empire-to-downtown LA levels of WTF here.

Besides, name me an “elsewhere in BC” that doesn’t already have WHL? The answer to that question falls within the commuting distance parameters.
that's more a question for the Canucks isn't it, though....PCS... Abbotsford may want nothing to do with pro or junior hockey based off what transpired with Stockton....

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
that's more a question for the Canucks isn't it, though....PCS... Abbotsford may want nothing to do with pro or junior hockey based off what transpired with Stockton....

We’ve spent a fair amount of time comparing the Devils and Calgary in this discussion for reasons. Somehow I doubt the city of Abbotsford will include Stockton in their calculus.

I expect back and forth in negotiations, perhaps even some acrimony, but you’d first need to establish that the Canucks were awful to Utica before this line of reasoning continues.

The real curiosity here is what Robert Esche is thinking.

EDIT- funny thing is that Stockton is probably the other main option for Vancouver.

SECOND EDIT- Always look for the funny thing.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
We’ve spent a fair amount of time comparing the Devils and Calgary in this discussion for reasons. Somehow I doubt the city of Abbotsford will include Stockton in their calculus.

I expect back and forth in negotiations, perhaps even some acrimony, but you’d first need to establish that the Canucks were awful to Utica before this line of reasoning continues.

The real curiosity here is what Robert Esche is thinking.
it's not the Canucks, PCS.... IT'S Esche., which I agree there, 2) what is the issue specifically that the County has with the Devils, that the arena liason says they're a 3rd party to... because originally we thought it was Mitchell who had the dispute with the County which is why the Devils informed him they were leaving at the end of 21.

my point is County trustee boards should stay out of arena management disputes, whether it's there in Binghamton, or what transpired here in the midst of Portland's renovation of Cross Arena in 2012-14, with no assistance from Arizona.... leaving the franchise out to dry for an agreement that was in principle agreed to at the end of 2013.... that is why Portland junked the County involvement when Cross came aboard to sponsor the arena, that's why Lewiston's Colisee was employed along with the expansion of team territory to Central Maine, not just Portland....

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
if Vancouver's AHL moves west where will it end up. I can't see pacific division teams being happy to have to travel by charter just for a divisional game.

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto
Trois-Rivieres and Coralville are starting up in fall of 2021.

Reactions: Atlantian

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto
it's not the Canucks, PCS.... IT'S Esche., which I agree there, 2) what is the issue specifically that the County has with the Devils, that the arena liason says they're a 3rd party to... because originally we thought it was Mitchell who had the dispute with the County which is why the Devils informed him they were leaving at the end of 21.

my point is County trustee boards should stay out of arena management disputes, whether it's there in Binghamton, or what transpired here in the midst of Portland's renovation of Cross Arena in 2012-14, with no assistance from Arizona.... leaving the franchise out to dry for an agreement that was in principle agreed to at the end of 2013.... that is why Portland junked the County involvement when Cross came aboard to sponsor the arena, that's why Lewiston's Colisee was employed along with the expansion of team territory to Central Maine, not just Portland....
The dispute appears to be between the Devils and Mitchell, with no involvement from the arena board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad