USHL 2021-2022 Thread

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Can anyone explain what in the world is going on with the Lancers? Is this all just trying to cut corners to make an extra buck?

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
DeLuca put on "administrative leave" ... first sensible League action taken in this Lancers mess, hopefully with more to follow ...

kij

Jan 31, 2016
Have to think that playing out the COVID year instead of taking it off, with limited attendance while bills stayed the same play a part in the Omaha debacle. Good on the league for stepping in, honestly hope that Cassidy gets brought back in as he had the ship sailing straight without proper funding, imagine what he could do with a full budget.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Spot on ...
Stakeholders in the USHL have expressed concern over the damage to the league’s brand that this ordeal has done, which puts a lot of pressure on the league to get this investigation right. The hockey world will be watching closely.

Reactions: mk80

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Putting Gary Graham in as coach reeks of cronyism given his ties to everyone involved in the Lancers (as well as having ownership stake) and that he was coaching Josh Mervis's son with the Indy Jr. Fuel, given Mervis is overseeing the investigation.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Putting Gary Graham in as coach reeks of cronyism given his ties to everyone involved in the Lancers (as well as having ownership stake) and that he was coaching Josh Mervis's son with the Indy Jr. Fuel, given Mervis is overseeing the investigation.
I would expect nothing less, considering the organizational dynamics of junior hockey. :scared::scared::scared:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I think as far as the on ice side of things firing and replacing him would add more instability. At least the players can get back to practicing and playing, plus his minor league coaching resume seems sufficient enough. Obviously bringing the Cassidy staff back would be better, but the question is would Cassidy and others want to return?

But the league should have put someone without existing ties to the Lancers in charge to oversee things rather than Mervis, of the two I think that's the bigger issue with the moves. But it is all still a gongshow at this point

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Time for the monthly look at the League standings ...

USHL Standings (1 Dec 2021).jpg

A few observations, from my perspective of not following the USHL closely since attending the season-opening Fall Classic in Pittsburgh ...
  • No surprise to see Chicago leading by a safe margin in the East, with another strong lineup this year including 4 of the top 10 point-getters so far.
  • The Fighting Saints & the Capitols competing near the top of the Eastern Conference are pleasant surprises, though that might just be my Midwest bias showing.
  • Youngstown has climbed into early contention for a future playoff spot, after a rough start.
  • Tri-City's dominance of a very strong Western Conference (9 wins in their last 10 games) indicates their 2020-21 regular season success was not a one-off.
  • Happy to see the Lancers keeping pace in the West, in the bright lights of their organizational mess.
  • The Lincoln Stars are looking good lately as well, with first-year goalie & Northeastern commit Cameron Whitehead logging impressive stats.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
That mess in Omaha reminds me of what happened with the Flint Firebirds in their inaugural Ontario Hockey League season after relocating from Plymouth.

Reactions: JMCx4

kij

Jan 31, 2016
That mess in Omaha reminds me of what happened with the Flint Firebirds in their inaugural Ontario Hockey League season after relocating from Plymouth.
But we don't have the owner's kid siding with his teammates and against his own father...or do we?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad