Useless Thread MDCCXCI: Piss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2008
i love how your response to anything that doesn't come easy to you is "it's dumb"

what would life be without challenges? we in tech/development deal with challenges all day, every day. that's the job
You're right but with math it's like they took away your computer and all your devops tools and forced you to calculate everything by hand. Do you think that is fair, ethical or right?

It would be like you being unable to use Linux at all. Like, how do you even operate without a computer or tools? No Chef. No Puppet. No software at all.

"Gotta get those college kids ready for the real world bro, take away all their tech"

Yes, it would be more challenging, but is it practical? What's the purpose? If you want people to get adjusted to DevOps, shouldn't they use the software more? Why take it away?

Sep 19, 2008
Understanding the fundamentals is just as important as getting a final result when it comes to interpreting those results and making critical decisions that may impact the health and safety of people.
Even in the NASA rover landing everybody had computer program on their screen for Mars landing outputting relevant data

where were the velocity equations and the math?

hint: IT'S ABSTRACTED

IT'S BEHIND THE SCENES

YOU DON'T SEE NO SIN(TAN(VECTOR A)) ON THE SCREEN

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Even in the NASA rover landing everybody had computer program on their screen for Mars landing outputting relevant data

where were the velocity equations and the math?

hint: IT'S ABSTRACTED

IT'S BEHIND THE SCENES

YOU DON'T SEE NO SIN(TAN(VECTOR A)) ON THE SCREEN
How do you think these programs were made

Sep 19, 2008
How do you think these programs were made
Because the scientists in front of the monitors wrote them...no they didn't

They USE the software

The developers script them and the client uses them. The scientist didn't make the program.

That would be like you saying you code your programs for work. No, I don't think you wrote anything for Microsoft Teams.

Sep 19, 2008
All the software is outsourced out of house now

Some other company writes it for them and they use it

They may have input into what they want in specific versions of the software if it isn't off the shelf but it isn't like the scientists actually write the program and code it

Sep 19, 2008
also since you don't understand because a computer can do it there is less chance for error

no matter how smart you are if you write it on pen and paper you will make a mistake

Sep 19, 2008
In the real world those scientists you saw their job is to manage the software and learn how to use it. There's very little math involved.

Sep 19, 2008
Not saying the software is perfect, sometimes there might be bugs in the code, but generally it is an acceptable substitute for writing shit out on hand. I mean you even said people whiteboard formulas in a workplace meeting lmao. This is not A BEAUTIFUL MIND there is no John Nash here. People are lazy. People use technology now to do their work.

Sep 19, 2008
iu

I don't see any formulas there. Do you?

iu

There's literally no DY/dx or ln. There are just numbers.

Sep 19, 2008
To be fair your mindset is "you need to understand how PDO is calculated before you can use the metric in analytics" which is stupid

do you need to know the formula for Corsi too

f*** out of here with your nerd shit nerd boy

Sep 19, 2008
I've been paid to write computer programs for about 30 years, and I can only remember using calculus at work twice. Both times, it was to solve a problem related to the domain data, not to actually perform the computations within my program. In other words, I just used calculus to examine and understand the data, then wrote the program without the calculus.

I think the last time I heavily used calculus was in a physics class during my undergraduate studies. After that, its all been algebra.

Sep 19, 2008
How important is calculus?
I think the clearest answer to this question is this fact: that the Industrial Revolution only began after calculus became widespread. Newton's De Quadrature Curvarum was published in 1676, and his Methodus Fluxionum in 1736; Savery's steam engine was produced in 1698 and Watt's in 1778. These machines were the fruit of a massive improvement in the understanding of physics that would have been impossible without calculus.
The same is true today. Engineering would be simply impossible without calculus. It is the foundation of any approach to optimisation, of any study of equilibrium states, and of all dynamical systems. It appears in all branches of engineering, whether civil, mechanical, electrical, electronic, nautical or aeronautical. It is used in game theory and economics and statistics. It is essential for quantum theory, without which we wouldn't have lasers or computers.

LMAO

FOH

Sep 19, 2008
Notice the dip after Fractions. Nobody uses calculus at all.

THe only math I do is ratios and fractions where I need to compare numbers and not even for work, for my season tickets.

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
You're right but with math it's like they took away your computer and all your devops tools and forced you to calculate everything by hand. Do you think that is fair, ethical or right?

I don't think that has anything to do with ethics? It would reduce efficiency, yes. But you're really conflating a few things here. I rarely use any math, and you're correct that I don't (and we really don't as an engineering team) use any super advanced math. That was more implemented to understand the structure of math, the language of math, and to further formulate problem solving ability more than the function of solving math for the sake of solving. The picture is wider than you're viewing it.

It would be like you being unable to use Linux at all. Like, how do you even operate without a computer or tools? No Chef. No Puppet. No software at all.

Again, not the same. Most of the core code was written off trial and error and solving problems one by one, until it's grown into what it is today. So, in effect, the pioneers didn't have a huge base to work with which they could take and use code at will. It was a much more manual process in the beginning. Math is solveable by the human brain on paper, you can't run a program without its core components. Again, I see your argument that learning stuff you never use is frustrating, but I think it has other value. I use far less history or biology than man in my day-to-day, so I'd say relative to applicable use, math was a far superior subject

"Gotta get those college kids ready for the real world bro, take away all their tech"

Unless whatever you're looking to do requires college and higher education, I don't think college prepares you for the real world job market - at least not in my case (though my college experience was different than "typical"). It's more about the networking and social aspects in most cases, I'd think.

Yes, it would be more challenging, but is it practical? What's the purpose? If you want people to get adjusted to DevOps, shouldn't they use the software more? Why take it away?

Again, you're conflating different ideas here, but you are correct that it would be easier and more efficient to not spend time learning something you won't use, and use other tools to compensate for that lack of internal knowledge. This is how the real world functions on a lot of levels.

Sep 19, 2008
in computers you can't do anything without a computer

in math you can't do anything without a calculator or aids

Sep 19, 2008
Your post assumes that anyone can just sit down with a pen and paper and expand upon sin(tan(csc(ln(e^4)))))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad