Use Burmi Or Trade Him

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Is Burmistrov actually working outside of the team parameters or is it starting to become one of those stereoptypes that we see more often because we're looking for it more often.

I've been tracking zone entries and Burmistrov isn't the worse at attempting to get in and getting stood up, nor is he dumping it the least when he needs to, nor is he losing it at our own blue line the most.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree that Kane is great as usual, and should get more ice, I was also saying this last year when Kane played 14 minutes per night. This is my point, what Noel is doing to Burmi this year he did to Kane last year. What did Kane do wrong last year? HE ONLY PICKS ON YOUNG PLAYERS! I really like Noel but this is my only beef with him, how many times have you seen him yell at someone on the bench, three times for me, on Kane, Burmi and Scheif. Don't you think Noel was pissed today when Buff gave up and let a guy walk in 3 on 1. Of course he was, but he will never yell at a vet. This is my frustration.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm a big Burmi guy, but I don't think he deserves more playing time.
Everyone on the team is committed to playing one way (dump the puck in, play a gritty game) and he STILL isn't on the same page. Burmi needs to buy into what the team is doing. Maybe he's just trying too hard to make something happen, but he's gotta start playing the same game as his teammates.

I don't know, he hasn't really been fooling around with the puck lately. To me it looks like he's playing much more of a north south game. I think Noel should give the kid some benefit here and play him on the third line where he belongs, enough with this sending a message garbage he's been clearly better than two of the three players on the third line.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Is Burmistrov actually working outside of the team parameters or is it starting to become one of those stereoptypes that we see more often because we're looking for it more often.

I've been tracking zone entries and Burmistrov isn't the worse at attempting to get in and getting stood up, nor is he dumping it the least when he needs to, nor is he losing it at our own blue line the most.

I only go by what I see (famously ignorant words around here), but I don't think Burmi has an issue entering the zone at all.
My issue is that he often stops up on the half boards and tries to operate from there. More often then not this seems to lead to a turn over.
I don't think what he's doing is bad or wrong, I just don't think our offensive system is designed to be ran that way.
It appears to me that our forwards crash the corners for puck support and create a cycle from there. If Burmi doesn't get the puck the areas his teammates expect (or the system expects) we're in trouble.

what, you want him to pass to thor or cormier?? :scared:

Cormier played something like 1 minute today. Kane was on that line the majority of the game.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I only go by what I see (famously ignorant words around here), but I don't think Burmi has an issue entering the zone at all.
My issue is that he often stops up on the half boards and tries to operate from there. More often then not this seems to lead to a turn over.
I don't think what he's doing is bad or wrong, I just don't think our offensive system is designed to be ran that way.
It appears to me that our forwards crash the corners for puck support and create a cycle from there. If Burmi doesn't get the puck the areas his teammates expect (or the system expects) we're in trouble.

I also track how many offensive chances arise from zone entries.
Those haven't been bad either :)
I see Kane and Wheeler turn at the half boards many times too when they are looking for support. The problem is, that Cormier and Thorburn aren't optimal support.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

Cormier played something like 1 minute today. Kane was on that line the majority of the game.

watch wheeler! he makes a lot of plays by hitting the blueline with speed and then holding up at the dots-then hitting ladd/little in the high-slot.

I also track how many offensive chances arise from zone entries.
Those haven't been bad either :)
I see Kane and Wheeler turn at the half boards many times too when they are looking for support. The problem is, that Cormier and Thorburn aren't optimal support.

Exactly what i was about to say.

I think burmis "doodling" gets overblown because A)we're looking for it and B)it happens because he doesn't have an option.

I see wheeler and kane make these plays at least once a game and its usually because
A)their linemates have gone for a change and wheels/kane didn't realise it (were waiting for support)
B)They're linemates are tied up/out of position
and the most frequent
c)they're not on the ice with their usual linemates.

Burmi gets stuck with guys who don't have the speed or ability to keep up with him, i see him look for the pass and rarely does he actually have an option.

It would be nice to get burmi on a line with someone who can skate with him and find the seams, that's the ideal person for burmi- a guy that can get to those open spots.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
watch wheeler! he makes a lot of plays by hitting the blueline with speed and then holding up at the dots-then hitting ladd/little in the high-slot.

Exactly what i was about to say.

I think burmis "doodling" gets overblown because A)we're looking for it and B)it happens because he doesn't have an option.

I see wheeler and kane make these plays at least once a game and its usually because
A)their linemates have gone for a change and wheels/kane didn't realise it (were waiting for support)
B)They're linemates are tied up/out of position
and the most frequent
c)they're not on the ice with their usual linemates.

Burmi gets stuck with guys who don't have the speed or ability to keep up with him, i see him look for the pass and rarely does he actually have an option.

It would be nice to get burmi on a line with someone who can skate with him and find the seams, that's the ideal person for burmi- a guy that can get to those open spots.

I'm really interested in seeing what a Kane-Scheifele-Burmistrov trio could do...

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I think Burmi really needs to start dumping it in when he hits opposition instead of trying deke his way in like he's Joe Sakic or something.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Burmi does not will not and can not play a north south game, you can post up all the lame stats you want does not change the fact that he does not fit here...... Trade him!

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
not true

many people, including myself know that he has amazing talent, and is just being misused
he still has amazing potential, find him a line, and it shouldnt surprise anyone when he starts lighting up the league
(look at the kadri situation)

Looking at the Kadri situation is a great idea.
Send Burmi to the minors until he matures and learns to play the system the coach wants played.
While I don't necessarily agree to have him in the AHL he needs to be given limited roles/minutes until he proves to the coaching staff that he can play in their system.

I'm a big believer in his future but he has to start performing. His production this season has been awful.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
For me, what is frustrating about Burmi is his affinity for perimeter play. He almost never takes the puck to the middle of the ice, and if he gets a pass in the middle, his immediate reaction is to spin to the outside. And when was the last time he went to the net, with or without the puck? Those are the reasons for his poor offensive production IMO. Quit playing like Filatov please!

To be clear, I'm talking mostly about after we've gained the offensive zone.

Edit: To add some further context to my opinion on Burmi, he started out early last year as one of my favourite players and has regressed to the point where he leaves me muttering to myself under my breath almost every shift. I REALLY hope he can figure it out.

Last edited:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Looking at the Kadri situation is a great idea.
Send Burmi to the minors until he matures and learns to play the system the coach wants played.
While I don't necessarily agree to have him in the AHL he needs to be given limited roles/minutes until he proves to the coaching staff that he can play in their system.

I'm a big believer in his future but he has to start performing. His production this season has been awful.

He has to clear waivers though now... no turning back now

Tdoe42

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Watching the limited minutes he has now on offence is painful enough.

For me his offensive game is a write off this season. I think he went to the net once this season with the puck and he even scored on that play. I am starting to think its a body size thing because dropping your shoulder and going to the net at 180 lbs probably doesn't work either. So for now we have to suffer with his perimeter game.

I do give him a tonne of credit that at least he has a good defensive game that still allows him to get decent ice time

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I hate weird stats like out scoring and out shooting opposition... seems so foreign

Like how he is ranked 113th among centers (his roster position) in point production and 264th among all forwards? or being ranked 250th among forwards in shots?

Or are we talking puck luck of chances that should of/may of went in and scoring chances that didnt score? :naughty:

Just buggin ya Garret! Unleash the beast!!

I think we should move Burmi up the roster and give him some good linemates and ample opportunity if we blow it in the next couple games as well. Obviously our top lines have been failing to put the puck in the net the past few outings so lets try something new if we start to collapse (which I hope to god we dont)

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Like how he is ranked 113th among centers (his roster position) in point production and 264th among all forwards? or being ranked 250th among forwards in shots?

Or are we talking puck luck of chances that should of/may of went in and scoring chances that didnt score? :naughty:

Just buggin ya Garret! Unleash the beast!!

I think we should move Burmi up the roster and give him some good linemates and ample opportunity if we blow it in the next couple games as well. Obviously our top lines have been failing to put the puck in the net the past few outings so lets try something new if we start to collapse (which I hope to god we dont)

Yes we should. We should try and go with:

LLW
Kane Jokinen Burmistrov
Tangradi Antropv Wellwood
Thorburn Cormier Miettinen

for the next 2-3 games and as long as Wright, Slater and Peluso are on IR.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB

LLW
Kane Jokinen Burmistrov

agree. We need some kind of spark at this moment. Something to turn this last few games around. If burmi can have a multi point night playing on the first line its a feel good moment for Burmi, the team and us the fans.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

LLW
Kane Jokinen Burmistrov

IMO that line would be brutal. Not a lot of complimentary skills there, 3 very similar players with not a lot of foot speed. They could probably get a cycle going, but I'd worry a lot about backchecking when the other team has the puck.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
IMO that line would be brutal. Not a lot of complimentary skills there, 3 very similar players with not a lot of foot speed. They could probably get a cycle going, but I'd worry a lot about backchecking when the other team has the puck.

Yet that line has been our best in several games in the past 2 weeks...

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I have this feeling that Burmistrov will be dealt at the draft and may of us will not be pleased with the return.

As to the Noel coaching strategy of being tough on the kids, I can just see Scheif being a regular on the 4th line.:shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad