Use Burmi Or Trade Him

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Jokinen is a good soldier. I don't think he's a very smart guy, but he will do whatever the coach says. I think he's definitely lost a step. I have no explanation why he's -17 though.

Maybe its because Olli plays a pretty soft game in the defensive zone.

On Nash's goal, he backed off far too much and simply let him walk in closer to shoot.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
We all have our favorites and least favorites, for whatever rational or irrational reasons. He doesn’t like Burmi and it doesn’t matter what anyone says, you won’t convince him otherwise. I don’t like Hainsey, and you’ll never convince me he’s a Top 4 D-man.

Actually, your post was not at all an accurate representation of what I said. I'm personally fairly ambivalent about the player; the Jets could either re-sign him or trade him today for all I care. I don't hate Burmistrov either but rather think that there are perhaps better options out there for the Jets versus continuing to attempt to make a player perform in a manner that he is maybe unwilling to.

That said, I'm leaning toward kind of hoping to see him traded now - given the blind faith exhibited by his most ardent group of fanboy-lawyers, just because the meltdown here will probably be legendary in scope if it happens. At the end of the day this isn't at all about Noel or management personally not liking the player, nor is it about the poor play of any other Jets, nor is it about fan or press critiques of his game, but rather it is about his own level of play dictating his lack of playing time. I think some are guilty of focusing on the sizzle versus the steak in this case; they see his obvious skills but ignore the fundamental deficiencies in his game, that he is for some reason either unable or unwilling to employ those skills in the manner in which the Jets have asked. That is all on Burmistrov.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Burmi does not will not and can not play a north south game, you can post up all the lame stats you want does not change the fact that he does not fit here...... Trade him!

Sounds like a well researched opinion regurgitated from the fine columns of Gary Lawless!

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Oh man, I can't believe how few people seem to be on Burmistrov's side. Sure, guys. Trade Burmistrov away. Probably one of the better assets on your team. I lol'd at the guy who said he has low value too.
I'm sure Chevaldayoff could get a handsome return, but a guy like Burmistrov is pretty irreplaceable. It's more indicative that the team needs to reconsider the tenure of Claude Noel than trading Burmistrov.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
What does that have to do with anything?

Are you implying that he doesnt know what to do about a player that doesnt want to listen to coaching, and doesnt do what is asked of him?

Yes.

A great comparison is Apple Maps.

Just because you're being given directions, doesn't make them right.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
Oh man, I can't believe how few people seem to be on Burmistrov's side. Sure, guys. Trade Burmistrov away. Probably one of the better assets on your team. I lol'd at the guy who said he has low value too.
I'm sure Chevaldayoff could get a handsome return, but a guy like Burmistrov is pretty irreplaceable. It's more indicative that the team needs to reconsider the tenure of Claude Noel than trading Burmistrov.

Really? Alex the Great is irreplaceable?

I like Burmi, but to say this about pretty much anybody on this team (including coaching) seems to me a little over the top. If we can get players or coaches in here that help us "win more games", then I am all for it :handclap:

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Yes.

Okay :laugh:

Yet the rest of the team follows directions, and does what is asked of them.

Last time I checked, even though they have been on a skid recently the jets are still leading their division.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Just curious what has our coach proven in NHL?

That he doesn't let an individual player dictate what system his team uses?

He's coached one full season in the NHL with a 4 point improvement on his teams previous year. He made the playoffs every year he was a head coach in the IHL/AHL and won the calder cup championship in the AHL.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Really? Alex the Great is irreplaceable?

I like Burmi, but to say this about pretty much anybody on this team (including coaching) seems to me a little over the top. If we can get players or coaches in here that help us "win more games", then I am all for it :handclap:

IMHO if you're a team on the outside looking in, just about no one is irreplaceable. They could trade just about this entire team and I probably wouldn't flinch too much. Not because of any dislike of the players. It's just that as far as the hockey world goes, not many, if any of them, are 'unique' talents. Sure there are some good hockey players on the team but there are good hockey players everywhere.

To me, 'irreplaceable' means that player possesses a set of skills or abilities that make him unique. The only one I might put that tag on is Kane, as having the most upside...possessing a rare combination of atheticism, drive, and skills. Him and maybe Buff, but there there good and bad sides to Buff's coin. But even still,
if Jarome Iginla and Rick Nash can get traded than anyone can.

fatschoonerrat

Jul 6, 2007
Charleston
hockeyfansunion.com
What does that have to do with anything?

Are you implying that he doesnt know what to do about a player that doesnt want to listen to coaching, and doesnt do what is asked of him?

I keep hearing about this. Let's call it the Great Assumption. Yeah, I see Burmi holding onto the puck too long, forcing things. But there seems to be this assumption that he's doing it willfully, like he's disobeying the coach. Any evidence for that?

Incidentally, I see Kane forcing plays all the time and never getting called out. Sure, he's fast and he pots some goals. Meanwhile, Burmi is +7 while Kane is -3. Not calling out Kane, but man does this board seem to have a double-standard against Burmistrov.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
I keep hearing about this. Let's call it the Great Assumption. Yeah, I see Burmi holding onto the puck too long, forcing things. But there seems to be this assumption that he's doing it willfully, like he's disobeying the coach. Any evidence for that?

Incidentally, I see Kane forcing plays all the time and never getting called out. Sure, he's fast and he pots some goals. Meanwhile, Burmi is +7 while Kane is -3. Not calling out Kane, but man does this board seem to have a double-standard against Burmistrov.

His 4 game press box warming is sure telling to me.

fatschoonerrat

Jul 6, 2007
Charleston
hockeyfansunion.com
To me, 'irreplaceable' means that player possesses a set of skills or abilities that make him unique. ...
if Jarome Iginla and Rick Nash can get traded than anyone can.

They were traded as UFAs and never would have been otherwise. Meanwhile, I would argue that Toby and Buff are both unique talents. Bogo, too.

Our forwards are pretty lackluster. I think, as far as talent goes, Kane and Burmistrov have potential to be better than anyone on the team. But will they be fostered to reach their potential? Ladd is an ideal checking line forward with offensive upside. Wheeler is getting better -- but is he really a top-line forward? Same with Little.

If I really step back and look, I think this team is completely miscast. Which helps me rationalize the inconsistency.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Maybe its because Olli plays a pretty soft game in the defensive zone.

On Nash's goal, he backed off far too much and simply let him walk in closer to shoot.

I very much noticed that. He wasn't sure what Enstrom was going to do, but the Rags player just tied up Enstrom and took him to the net.

jetsfan85*

It just seems the Jets will only trade for garabge players nobody wants. Every1 got mad when I said Ollie woudl suck, poni sucks, wellwood was dumb to re sign. Can we get somebody useful?

Thank you :)

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Yes.

SO, one player on the team has trouble following the coaching staff's instructions and assignments so you change out the coaching staff?

Some of you insinuating that a double standard exists for Burmi make's me laugh, what exactly has Burmi proven at the NHL (AHL) level? An inability to produce offensively at the PRO level is what I see.

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
SO, one player on the team has trouble following the coaching staff's instructions and assignments so you change out the coaching staff?

Worth noting that the Power Play has trouble doing anything of value with said instructions, despite, we assume, following them. :laugh:

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
They were traded as UFAs and never would have been otherwise. Meanwhile, I would argue that Toby and Buff are both unique talents. Bogo, too.

Our forwards are pretty lackluster. I think, as far as talent goes, Kane and Burmistrov have potential to be better than anyone on the team. But will they be fostered to reach their potential? Ladd is an ideal checking line forward with offensive upside. Wheeler is getting better -- but is he really a top-line forward? Same with Little.

If I really step back and look, I think this team is completely miscast. Which helps me rationalize the inconsistency.

Ladd and Wheeler have produced points on par with 1st-line forwards so they are 1st-line forwards. Again, not everyone can put up 80+ points a season, and the top 90 forwards of the NHL generally put up 50+ points.

Wheeler was drafted 5th overall. Ladd was drafted 4th overall, HF rating 8.0B. I would say they're peaking now and have neither disappointed nor excelled. I can't find Blake's original rating. Burmi by the way is an 8.0C.

In other words, dry as the desert as they have been in the last 4 games, Ladd and Wheels still don't get enough credit. Guess they don't dangle enough. Blinding speed isn't enough, and net presence isn't enough...

jetsfan8

Mar 13, 2013
im amazed how many fans hate burmistrov on here
really surprises me, kind of a knock makes this city look bad in terms of hockey knowledge

29 teams would pay very high prices to add burmi to their lineup, and im sure chevy is ignoring all offers

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
I think the threat of him going to the KHL might play a factor in what Chevy does with Burmi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->