USA WJC thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayLeeCharles

Aug 31, 2005
WaSt
Can someone fill me in on Zimmerman please. He wasn't even listed on the roster for the summer evaluation camp, but made the team anyway ahead of Sauer, Mitera, Strait, Summers, and Ratchuk. I guess if the coach uses the D like last year the 5th and 6th d-men won't see the ice anyway.
Very physically strong, true defensive D-man. Good postitionally and very rarely makes mistakes that takes him out of the play. One of the tops in the WHL in terms of his style(defensive D-men). He did attend the summer camp I believe as an injury replacement or something like that. Im a little surprised he made it over Sauer, but then again Zimmerman never stands out but always exceeds, ie signing with NJ and making team USA.

RayLeeCharles

Aug 31, 2005
WaSt
Abdelkader, Carman, Fraser are those 3 good skating, gritty players. There inclusion to the team could just mean the US wanted a 4th line with speed and grit.

NeverGoingToWin

Jul 24, 2004
G--Frazee, Zatkoff

D--EJ, JJ, Lawson, Lee, McBain, Zimmerman, Chorney

Forwards

Abdelkader
Carman
Fraser
Geoffrion
Gerbe
Skille
Stoa
Sweatt
Van Riemsdyk
Kane
Lewis
Mueller
Okposo

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Obviously it is be surprising for darkhorse (if you can even call him that) like Zimmerman to make the team, but from everything I've read about him at the very least he won't be a liability. He's one of the best defensive d-man in a historically very physical league and I don't really see how that can be a bad thing, even if there were more "talented" players who were supposedly ahead of him.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
No he did not make it (and he is yet another choice who is better than Zimmerman in my eyes).

Coach Lucia asked Team USA not to take Fischer if he's going to be a 7th defensemen, since it would leave Minnesota with 1 RD. I didn't expect him to make the team as he hasn't been lighting it up and I figured the top 6 to be locked up, although one of the guys I thought would be a lock didn't make the team in Mitera, since he was there last year.

Bégin is the bestest*

http://www.thehockeynews.com/en/news/news.asp?idNews=22511

"And as far as Sharks coach Ron Wilson is concerned, that just gives him more time to convince Vlasic to play for the Americans in international hockey. Vlasic’s father is American, meaning Vlasic could suit up for USA if he chose to do so."

does that means that Paul Stastny could have played for Slovakia last year if he had chosed to? he's also born in Québec and could play for Québec at the olympics games when Québec will separates from Canada. :D

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
G--Frazee, Zatkoff

D--EJ, JJ, Lawson, Lee, McBain, Zimmerman, Chorney

Forwards

Abdelkader
Carman
Fraser
Geoffrion
Gerbe
Skille
Stoa
Sweatt
Van Riemsdyk
Kane
Lewis
Mueller
Okposo

Damn, would have loved to see Foligno on there.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'm not sure what to think about this team yet. I think it's very clear that not only is Ron Rolston's stamp all over this team, but Phil Housley's as well. Housley has been closely involved with USA Hockey for awhile now and will be an assistant coach on the team. I recall him making some very pointed comments about more than a few of the players that aren't on this roster. There's also the issue of familiarity. It's no surprise that 15 of the players on the team are USNTDP alums, and it should be noted that several of these players have had tremendous international success-at least at the U18 level. Here's my thoughts on the team (broken down by position):

Goaltender:

Frazee is a big questionmark. He's been average this year for the Gophers and wasn't very good for the U.S. last year. He does however have a good overall resume when it comes to international hockey and has been more composed this year than last. I'm not sold on him as the starter. Zatkoff has been very good for Miami this year, and was the best goaltender at the evaluation camp. I look for him to win the starting job. Goaltending is the big question mark for the U.S. and in reality there wasn't a lot to choose from this year. Palmer hasn't been great, Stalock was probably under heavy consideration, Sauer's play has been uneven at this point, and the OHL guys (like Smith, Murray, and McCollum) are probably unknown to the U.S. brass.

Defensemen:

Let's get one thing out of the way: The two Johnsons, Lee, and Chorney are going to get the bulk of the minutes. The other defensemen will probably be used sparingly, which is why the U.S. brass went with two guys they know well in Lawson and McBain. McBain has come on of late at Wisconsin and has excelled on the international stage. Lawson is a Rolston favorite, has played well for Notre Dame, and had an exceptional camp (especially offensively). Zimmerman is the headscratcher here, although he'll probably be the 7th guy and won't be a liability at all. I'm surprised Mitera and Summers aren't there, but perhaps there was some behind the scenes goings on from the Michigan coaching staff? Big Red step in? I heard rumblings of Jack Johnson not exactly enamored with going to the WJC's this year, so perhaps there had to be tradeoff to get him on the team? The big omission I see is Mike Sauer. Not sure why he was excluded. Will it kill the team? Doubt it.

Forwards:

I'm not sure why so many people are shocked Bobby Ryan was left on the team. He wasn't very good last year, had an average camp, and has been pretty indifferant in the OHL this year. His skating is also a liability, especially on the international ice. His exclusion doesn't take away from a forward group that is still very explosive (on paper). You also have a lot of players that are very familiar with each other as well as those players that won't mind accepting a "role." For example, I can easily see a checking line of Fraser, Sweatt, and Geoffrion. Van Riemsdyk is the proverbial 13th forward, but I wouldn't be surprised if he has a much more prominent role.

IMO, this team is going to boom or bust based on the goaltending and the ability of the top four defensemen to control the game. I think scoring will be fine, and I like the grit and leadership that is present throughout the line-up.

Last edited:

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Shocked to see no Foligno with the way he's been ripping up the OHL.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure what to think about this team yet. I think it's very clear that not only is Ron Rolston's stamp all over this team, but Phil Housley's as well. Housley has been closely involved with USA Hockey for awhile now and will be an assistant coach on the team. I recall him making some very pointed comments about more than a few of the players that aren't on this roster. There's also the issue of familiarity. It's no surprise that 15 of the players on the team are USNTDP alums, and it should be noted that several of these players have had tremendous international success-at least at the U18 level. Here's my thoughts on the team (broken down by position):

Goaltender:

Frazee is a big questionmark. He's been average this year for the Gophers and wasn't very good for the U.S. last year. He does however have a good overall resume when it comes to international hockey and has been more composed this year than last. I'm not sold on him as the starter. Zatkoff has been very good for Miami this year, and was the best goaltender at the evaluation camp. I look for him to win the starting job. Goaltending is the big question mark for the U.S. and in reality there wasn't a lot to choose from this year. Palmer hasn't been great, Stalock was probably under heavy consideration, Sauer's play's uneven at this point, and the OHL guys (like Smith, Murray, and McCollum) are probably unknown to the U.S. brass.

Defensemen:

Let's get one thing out of the way: The two Johnsons, Lee, and Chorney are going to get the bulk of the minutes. The other defensemen will probably be used sparingly, which is why the U.S. brass went with two guys they know well in Lawson and McBain. McBain has come on of late at Wisconsin and has excelled on the international stage. Lawson is a Rolston favorite and had an exceptional camp (especially offensively). Zimmerman is the headscratcher here, although he'll probably be the 7th guy and won't be a liability at all. I'm surprised Mitera and Smmers aren't there, but perhaps there was some behind the scenes goings on from the Michigan coaching staff? Big Red step in? I heard rumblings of Jack Johnson not exactly enamored with going to the WJC's this year, so perhaps there had to be tradeoff to get him on the team? The big omission I see is Mike Sauer. Not sure why he was excluded. Will it kill the team> Doubt it.

Forwards:

I'm not sure why so many people are shocked Bobby Ryan was left on the team. He wasn't very good last year, had an average camp, and has been pretty indifferant in the OHL this year. His skating is also a liability, especially on the international ice. His exclusion doesn't take away from a forward group that is still very explosive (on paper). You also have a lot of players that are very familiar with each other as well as those players that won't mind accepting a "role." For example, I can easily see a checking line of Fraser, Sweatt, and Geoffrion. Van Riemsdyk is the proverbial 13th forward, but I wouldn't be surprised if he has a much more prominent role.

IMO, this team is going to boom or bust based on the goaltending and the ability of the top four defensemen to control the game. I think scoring will be fine, and I like the grit and leadership that is present throughout the line-up.

Rabid, I'll add one more thing about Lawson. He's having a great year at Notre Dame right now too.

Bam Beet*

What line do you think Ryan Stoa will be on? What kind of impact do you think he'll have?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Rabbid -- I think what you'll see happen is JVR start OFF with a small amount of minutes. He will most likely earn more minutes as the tourny moves on. Though he should be playing more than Sweatt, I would think.

Sakic -- No idea what LINE Stoa will be on, but if he actually shows up to play he could do well. I hate his inconsistency, but I can't knock his talent when he shows up and wants to play.

Bam Beet*

Rabbid -- I think what you'll see happen is JVR start OFF with a small amount of minutes. He will most likely earn more minutes as the tourny moves on. Though he should be playing more than Sweatt, I would think.

Sakic -- No idea what LINE Stoa will be on, but if he actually shows up to play he could do well. I hate his inconsistency, but I can't knock his talent when he shows up and wants to play.

Don't Stoa and Okposo play together on Minnesotta? If they do they will probably put them together i would imagine.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
What line do you think Ryan Stoa will be on? What kind of impact do you think he'll have?

I see the top forwards (in terms of offensive punch) as:

Mueller
Kane
Okposo
Skille
Lewis
Stoa

I think you'll probably see Stoa on a line with Okposo and Lewis (Lewis played with Okposo in the USHL and Okposo has played with Stoa on the Gophers).

It should be noted that Stoa's play this year has been vastly improved over last season. Much more commited and is using his size more (along with his skill). I see him as a key contributor on this team.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Agreed on JVR. As for Stoa, I think he's been much more consistent this year than last, which is why he made the team.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
And he would've been a great checking line player for USA.

Another large omission that I didn't even think about.

The MORE I look at this team, the more I absolutely hate it.

I think the question you have to ask yourself where players like Foligno are concerned is: Is he that much better (if at all) than a player I'm (the U.S. coaching staff) more familiar or comfortable with? For example-is Nick Foligno that much better than Justin Abdelkader-at least at this level? I would say the answer to that is no. Foligno is also a bit of a hothead, and that probably played a role as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad