USA WJC thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Highly unlikely. I'm all for Team USA and all, but after last season, I'm kind of glad Denver isn't going to lose anybody to the tournament this year.

how do you know Rhett Rakhshani won't get picked? he had a good summer camp(lead the team along with Kessel in scoring) coupled with decent stats this season as a freshman and the fact he played for the U18 team last year which has to get him bonus marks.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
how do you know Rhett Rakhshani won't get picked? he had a good summer camp(lead the team along with Kessel in scoring) coupled with decent stats this season as a freshman and the fact he played for the U18 team last year which has to get him bonus marks.

If he ever makes the team, I just don't think this year is it. He's a good prospect but there are much better options.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005

Rounder

Jan 23, 2005
I don't think "politics" is the issue with Ryan, as McKenzie rightly points out in this column. There are a lot of factors that could make Ryan's exclusion pretty understandable. I still think he'll be there when it's all said and done, but don't be surprised if he isn't.[/

Politics is absolutely an issue with the U.S.A hockey program. The same "politics that resulted in Sanguienetti not even being invited to camp are going to keep Ryan off of this years team. The program is absolutely biased towards college players and players that went thru their program. It would be refreshing if they had the guts to stand up and say so

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I don't think "politics" is the issue with Ryan, as McKenzie rightly points out in this column. There are a lot of factors that could make Ryan's exclusion pretty understandable. I still think he'll be there when it's all said and done, but don't be surprised if he isn't.[/

Politics is absolutely an issue with the U.S.A hockey program. The same "politics that resulted in Sanguienetti not even being invited to camp are going to keep Ryan off of this years team. The program is absolutely biased towards college players and players that went thru their program. It would be refreshing if they had the guts to stand up and say so

I never said politics isn't an issue where USA Hockey is concerned. I said I don't think that's the case with BOBBY RYAN, you know, the player who was on the WJC squad last year?

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
If they won't release him for the Canadians, why would they release him for the Americans? :help:

Read the quote again, Wilson is not talking about for this tourney, but in the future; until he plays for one country or the other, the possibility exists he could play for the Americans in the future; of course, who knows if Vlasic would even consider that option; simly a quote from Wilson.

Should be interesting to see which players are picked for the team; only a few hours until the speculation ends...

Rounder

Jan 23, 2005
I never said politics isn't an issue where USA Hockey is concerned. I said I don't think that's the case with BOBBY RYAN, you know, the player who was on the WJC squad last year?

Yeah, I know the player. If you can write me back after the selection process and tell me that U.S.A selected 12 forwards who r better I will concede politics is not the issue. I will go as far as to say the roster will have 6 forwards that will not have N.H.L careers, but they will play crash the boards college hockey which the coach is used to.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Read the quote again, Wilson is not talking about for this tourney, but in the future; until he plays for one country or the other, the possibility exists he could play for the Americans in the future; of course, who knows if Vlasic would even consider that option; simly a quote from Wilson.

Should be interesting to see which players are picked for the team; only a few hours until the speculation ends...

Oh, I get it, like when he tried plucking Hannan for the Olympics, or maybe it was the world cup.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
kane is a lock.

kane should be a lock based on common sense, but i'm not so sure about that based on past history. kane opted to play in CHL instead of going to college and past history says that equals snub. they kept schremp off the team cause of that, same with bobby ryan, sanguinetti didn't even get invited to camp because of it, etc...

the bs politics for usa hockey are a joke and atleast in recent years they have shown that they pick based on who plays for the NDTP and then goes to college from there NOT who would give them the best chance to win. because that is there way of blackmailing future talent into going thru the us system the way that THEY want them too.

there are gonna be guys playing in juniors that will get snubbed for no other reason than they aren't attending a us college...and if kane avoids that snub at 18 he'll be an exception to the rule...if it holds to the pattern of schremp, ryan, etc than he gets snubbed this year and makes it next.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
kane should be a lock based on common sense, but i'm not so sure about that based on past history. kane opted to play in CHL instead of going to college and past history says that equals snub. they kept schremp off the team cause of that, same with bobby ryan, sanguinetti didn't even get invited to camp because of it, etc...

the bs politics for usa hockey are a joke and atleast in recent years they have shown that they pick based on who plays for the NDTP and then goes to college from there NOT who would give them the best chance to win. because that is there way of blackmailing future talent into going thru the us system the way that THEY want them too.

there are gonna be guys playing in juniors that will get snubbed for no other reason than they aren't attending a us college...and if kane avoids that snub at 18 he'll be an exception to the rule...if it holds to the pattern of schremp, ryan, etc than he gets snubbed this year and makes it next.

Schremp, Ryan and Sanguinetti are different from Kane because the former all snubbed the NTDP. Ryan and Sanguinetti signed up for the team and then backed out to go to the OHL. Schremp used the program to gain leverage when he wanted a trade out of Mississauga. He played two games for the program and then bolted when he got his trade.

Kane fulfilled his commitment to the program by staying for two years. Mueller would have been a bigger target than Kane if what you argue about US college is true considering he could have stayed with the program another year if he chose. Instead he went to the WHL and still made the U20 team last year.

CHL versus college is NOT the issue in this instance. Where it could potentially become an issue is when they pick the "depth" players. USA hockey certainly seems to favor the NTDP and college players in these cases.

inferno98

Mar 22, 2006
I believe in Ryan and Sanguinetti's case they told the NTDP they were going then they opted for CHL, Ryan was on the team last year so i dont think theres much politics with him. Sanguinetti is a different story but USA has a good defensive core and I dont know where they would really put him.

As for Kane and Schremp didnt they both play at the NTDP for at least one year, i know Kane did. I see no politics that would really surround Kane coming from the CHL. Schremp is aged out so there is nothing there for this year.

Just my .02

inferno98

Mar 22, 2006
Schremp, Ryan and Sanguinetti are different from Kane because the former all snubbed the NTDP. Ryan and Sanguinetti signed up for the team and then backed out to go to the OHL. Schremp used the program to gain leverage when he wanted a trade out of Mississauga. He played two games for the program and then bolted when he got his trade.

Kane fulfilled his commitment to the program by staying for two years. Mueller would have been a bigger target than Kane if what you argue about US college is true considering he could have stayed with the program another year if he chose. Instead he went to the WHL and still made the U20 team last year.

CHL versus college is NOT the issue in this instance. Where it could potentially become an issue is when they pick the "depth" players. USA hockey certainly seems to favor the NTDP and college players in these cases.

you got in right before me on that post, lol

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
No Sanguinetti either.

The picks:
G--Frazee, Zatkoff

D--EJ, JJ, Lawson, Lee, McBain, Zimmerman, Chorney

The forwards will be announced during second intermission.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Sanguinetti was an obvious.

But Lawson and Zimmerman and McBain over better players such as Summers and Sauer is just boneheaded, to me. Unless they plan on playing Summers as a forward. But then you still leave off the 4th best defenseman out of all those guys in Sauer.

I don't get the USA brass at all.

****ing Pejorative Slured.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Told everyone that Frazee was a lock ;)

I think USA Hockey is may hold a bias towards kids who went to college. At least I will believe it if Trevor Lewis isn't on the team.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003

But Lawson and Zimmerman and McBain over better players such as Summers and Sauer is just boneheaded, to me. Unless they plan on playing Summers as a forward. But then you still leave off the 4th best defenseman out of all those guys in Sauer.

Summers has been struggling at Michigan this season so that may be the reason for not picking him. McBain has had good International success so I can see that pick. Lawson and Zimmerman I have to Question?

cnyhockey

Nov 28, 2004
That is just one mans opinion. IMO Sneep may have more potential but right now Strait is a better player. Only time will tell if either makes it to the NHL. There is a big match up this weekend if you want to see them go head to head. I`m sure the Pens brass will be their in full force.

That's easy when yer talkin about yer own kid being better than someone else.

X-SHARKIE

McBain has been tremendous all year for Wisconsin, and has been stronger than Summers IMO all year.... I also felt that way a year ago...just my opinion though.... IMO it was a smart decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad