USA WJC thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Being a good leader doesen't mean they get it done on the ice. Yeah he is a steady player, but to pick someone solely because they are a good leader is the wrong reason. They will have plenty of leaders on the team regardless in the likes of J. Johnson, E. Johnson, Ryan, etc. The d group is so deep it is rediculous, and the forwards are very good to. I think the weakness will be between the pipes.

And being a good player does not mean they are a good leader. JJ, EJ, and Ryan are great players but I would be very shocked if they were made Captains. Kessel was a very poor choice for an A last year. To win a short Tournament like that you have to have a group of talanted players that will play specific roles on the team and not take upon themselves to do more than they are asked. A team full of ego driven all stars will not win a Gold. Hopefully they will have learned something from last years team!

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
I'm not sure if Natahan Davis is too old or anything but his play certainly warrents him being considered. (he has 30 points in 16 gp)

Last edited:

Chuck Schwartz

Dec 11, 2004
Wisconsin
www.buckyhockey.com
I disagree with that statement. McBain was very good last year at the U18s and has been very good internationally from what I have gone by. He would be much more valued then Strait at the world jrs. If it came down between Summers, McBain, and Strait I would give the nod to McBain. Then I would take Summers because of his skating ability and versatility and ability to play forward if needed. Who does everyone think the captains of this team will be? Ryan, EJ, JJ, Gerbe, Kessel(if he comes)?

I think you mis-understood me. I meant that Strait would be the one to go as in the one I wouldnt pick. McBain is a lock in my opinion with his play in the U-18 championships and his solid play so far this season.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
What role do you guys think Chorney will play on the team? It looks like he might be #4 on the depth chart. Is this accurate? Also will he play with Lee?

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
Minnesota's possible contributions are EJ, Okposo, Stoa, Frazee, Barriball and Carman (he had a great game against MI with two amazing shorthanded goals).

As a result, MN's coach Lucia said the WJC team 'may not get everyone they want'. It could very well be a bluff and he's just hoping they limit their selection themselves...rather than the fact that he may deny and players the opportunity to play.

6 Gophers would not be able to be replaced. They dont even have enough players!

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Any chance of Petry getting onto the team??? He has been very good in the USHL this season.

Chuck Schwartz

Dec 11, 2004
Wisconsin
www.buckyhockey.com
Minnesota's possible contributions are EJ, Okposo, Stoa, Frazee, Barriball and Carman (he had a great game against MI with two amazing shorthanded goals).

As a result, MN's coach Lucia said the WJC team 'may not get everyone they want'. It could very well be a bluff and he's just hoping they limit their selection themselves...rather than the fact that he may deny and players the opportunity to play.

Luciapet is funny...:clap:

Randall Graves*

What role do you guys think Chorney will play on the team? It looks like he might be #4 on the depth chart. Is this accurate? Also will he play with Lee?
It depends, I don't think he and Lee should play together, they'll both be on the 2nd PP most likely but I'd have 1 on the 2nd d pairing and 1 on the other.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Because World Jrs. are being held in Europe this year do you think officiating will penalize the more physical style that NA players bring? Therefore this may play a factor in player selection? IE players that take alot of penalties will not be considered as highly as someone who takes fewer penalties?

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
kane is a lock. petry has no shot. if they were going to take any players from the ushl it would probably be either lapointe or petrecki, but both will probably have to wait till next year. i dont see either really having a shot this year. im not sold on frazee either. john murray is having a very good year in kitchener, but he'll probably be overlooked. i think zatkoff should be a lock. palmer hasnt been incredible this year either.

i doubt kessel will be on the team. the captain will likely be an 87 or returnee. if jimmy fraser makes the team, he could be considered, but hes on the bubble imo. others would be nick foligno, jack johnson, erik johnson, and peter mueller.

i think kane is gonna have a great tournament and be one of the top scorers. i think this will solidify him as a top 10 pick.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
kane is a lock. petry has no shot. if they were going to take any players from the ushl it would probably be either lapointe or petrecki, but both will probably have to wait till next year. i dont see either really having a shot this year. im not sold on frazee either. john murray is having a very good year in kitchener, but he'll probably be overlooked. i think zatkoff should be a lock. palmer hasnt been incredible this year either.

i doubt kessel will be on the team. the captain will likely be an 87 or returnee. if jimmy fraser makes the team, he could be considered, but hes on the bubble imo. others would be nick foligno, jack johnson, erik johnson, and peter mueller.

i think kane is gonna have a great tournament and be one of the top scorers. i think this will solidify him as a top 10 pick.

Good thoughts. I think defense will be the strongest part of the team and will have the fewest surprises. I see five, maybe six guys as virtual locks:

Jack Johnson
Erik Johnson
Brian Lee
Mark Mitera
Taylor Chorney
Jamie McBain

That leaves one or two spots.

I can see a few surprises at forward, depending on what kind of identity Ron Rolston and the coaching staff wants to have. In that sense, a guy like Jimmy Fraser or Jason Lawrence could make the team. I expect a lot of Gophers, regardless of what Don Lucia wants. Whatever the case, the forward group will be very deep and talented.

The biggest mystery is in net. I agree that Zatkoff should be a shoo-in, but after that it's a toss-up. Personally, I think Frazee has played well enough to return, but he's a flake. A guy like Palmer has the pedigree, but hasn't lit the world on fire. You also have guys like Alex Stalock and Billy Sauer, not to mention the OHL guys (Murray, Smith, Conway, and McCollum).

Last edited:

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
I just realized something... I don't know who was on the ice at the time, but so far tiny Ryan Lasch from SCSU has tallied 3g 4a in 4 games against UND and UMN teams featuring likely WJC defenders Erik Johnson, Taylor Chorney, Brian Lee, and Jeff Frazee. Do you think he might be qualified to play for the US of A? ;)

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
I just realized something... I don't know who was on the ice at the time, but so far tiny Ryan Lasch from SCSU has tallied 3g 4a in 4 games against UND and UMN teams featuring likely WJC defenders Erik Johnson, Taylor Chorney, Brian Lee, and Jeff Frazee. Do you think he might be qualified to play for the US of A? ;)

no. theres alot of guys that have decent point totals in different leagues. 3/4 of the forwards are/will be 1st or 2nd round nhl picks, the others are known commodities in usa circles. he has no shot.

i'd take 12 forwards and 8 defensemen using summers wherever he is needed, as i stated before. this team has plenty of puck-movers, i really think they need a shutdown, physical defenseman, that has some speed to round out the group. heres my team, if i was picking, assuming kessel is not there and sanguinetti will be overlooked anyway.

bobby ryan
jack skille
nate gerbe
jimmy fraser
nick foligno
trevor lewis
ryan stoa
peter mueller
pat kane
kyle okposo
billy sweatt
james van reimsdyk

erik johnson
jack johnson
brian lee
mark mitera
taylor chorney
chris summers
jamie mcbain
michael sauer

jeff zatkoff
john murray

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
no. theres alot of guys that have decent point totals in different leagues. 3/4 of the forwards are/will be 1st or 2nd round nhl picks, the others are known commodities in usa circles. he has no shot.

i'd take 12 forwards and 8 defensemen using summers wherever he is needed, as i stated before. this team has plenty of puck-movers, i really think they need a shutdown, physical defenseman, that has some speed to round out the group. heres my team, if i was picking, assuming kessel is not there and sanguinetti will be overlooked anyway.

bobby ryan
jack skille
nate gerbe
jimmy fraser
nick foligno
trevor lewis
ryan stoa
peter mueller
pat kane
kyle okposo
billy sweatt
james van reimsdyk

erik johnson
jack johnson
brian lee
mark mitera
taylor chorney
chris summers
jamie mcbain
michael sauer

jeff zatkoff
john murray

Looks good. I'd like to get your take on Sweatt, Sauer, and Murray since they would be less likely to be selected than some other players.

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
I didn't ask if he had a shot, even I know he won't make it! I was just saying that this kid has PROVEN that he can play well against WJC caliber players.

In fact, he leads EVERY player in D1 hockey in scoring against 2006 WJC players. Matt Niskanen, Erik Johnson, Jeff Frazee, Brian Lee, Taylor Chorney, T.J. Oshie, Paukovich, and Blake Wheeler have all seen Lasch put the biscuit in the basket to the tune of 6 goals in 7 assists in 8 games. The next closest (Wheeler/Okposo/Dingle) have 6 points total.

You're right that he's not well known, having come from California, playing in an obscure Canadian junior league last year (though he led every scorer on planet Earth with 2.52 ppg), and not being a member of Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, or Boston College. That, and being listed as a generous 5'9" 175 puts him ahead of few on the US team's radar. So no, he won't make it, but he wouldn't embarass himself if he did.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
sweatt can really fly, and in this tournament with larger ice it will come at a premium. he has scoring ability, but he could really find a niche on this team as a burner who gets in there hard on the forecheck and creates some turnovers. could be valuable on the penalty kill, but mostly as an energizer.

sauer has played the past few years in the tough whl, and could add some edge to the backline. although thats not necessarily what hes known for he could add that aspect. he has a good combination of toughness, and is excellent with the puck and finding the open man. they could really use a good 2 way dman that can skate, and make tape to tape outlets.

murray has exceeded many expectations this season, and has put up really good numbers in the ohl. i think hes going to be a really good goalie. probably wont get a long enough look for this team, even though he has the talent to make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad