WJC: USA WJC Team Prediction 2013-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Here's my updated roster prediction (using only players still at camp):

Forwards (x13):

Nic Kerdiles* - Danny O'Regan* - Riley Barber* (A)
Ryan Hartman* - Quentin Shore* - Adam Erne*
Stefan Matteau - J.T. Compher - Michael McCarron
Thomas Di Pauli - Andrew Copp - Hudson Fasching
Taylor Cammarata

Defense (x7):

Matt Grzelyck* - Steven Santini*
Patrick Sieloff* (C) - Connor Carrick* (A)
Ian McCoshen - Brady Skjei
Will Butcher

Goalies (x3):

Jon Gillies*
Anthony Stolarz
Thatcher Demko

Notes:
  • The players with an asterik (*) are the ones I would consider locks right now. I'd say Shore, O'Regan, and Erne are the only ones I have that are not 100% but I'd be shocked if they're not on the team.
  • I think you could likely add a few guys to the "almost locks" category. Guys like Skjei, McCoshen, and McCarron are all probably in place for their spots now but Skjei, with his awful season last year, and the Mc's as two '95s, still have to prove themselves further.
  • I think it may be one year too early for Cammarata to make a real impact on this team. But USAH brass was vocal about their regrets having cut Gaudreau two years ago and given that Cammy is the closest thing they have to that, and on a team with less top talent, I would think he's there regardless. However, I think it may be possible he starts as the extra forward until, or if, he proves he can handle a regular shift.
  • I just don't see how Samuelsson fits into this team. His skating doesn't fit in with what Team USA likes and Lucia is on record saying that if he is going to contribute to this team it would be offensively. Given his skating woes and his second straight no-show at this camp, I think Samuelsson watches from home again unless he just rips apart the WHL and has a much improved December camp.
  • I'm not a big fan of Fasching's game but he supposedly had a really good camp and looked strong on the "grind" line. But I think USAH likes to have their "grind" line in place early and I think Fasching is the most vulnerable of that group as he's the weakest skater of the three.
  • Normally I'd opt for a more defensive guy in the 7th d-man role, like a Pesce, but with the potential offensive woes, it makes more sense to bring along a guy like Butcher that is good on the PP and can chip in offensively. He's probably not ready for a ton of minutes 5-on-5 but I think he could make an impact in limited minutes.
  • Barring a underwhelming start to his U18 season, this team screams to have Jack Eichel on it. Bring him on as the extra forward and see how he does. If he doesn't make an impact, that's not unexpected because he would be 17. But with his size, speed, and skill, I think he's as likely to make an impact as anyone else in play for that potential role. And as a player that will likely be the star of the team the following two years, it's never a bad idea to get him acclimated.
  • It should be interesting to see who wasn't involved in this camp that gets in play. As I said earlier, I think usually they have the majority of their roster picked after this camp and that allows them to bring in some fresh faces to compete for the few remaining spots at the December camp. However, with this year's forward group I don't think they have as many spots nailed down as normal but I don't think they have the same depth to bring in a ton of new faces to compete for those spots. Obviously I mentioned Eichel as one but Jimmy Lodge is another. A guy like Connor Hurley has the tools but he'd have to dominate the USHL to get in play so that's probably not likely. Anyone else that could get in play?

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I just watched the U.S./Canada game on demand. The U.S. couldn't really get much going 5on5, and I think that trend will continue at the actual tournament. It will be a blue collar affair up front with the defense once again kick-starting the offense. Honestly, I think the team will look very similar to last year's squad. I think Gillies is a touch below Gibson, but will still be rock solid. He's pretty refined for a big guy and can make the spectacular save when called upon. Likely no Jones and Trouba, but I think the defense will be very solid. Some very good skaters and puck-movers.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Forwards (x13):

Taylor Cammarata

Defense (x7):

Will Butcher

Goalies (x3):

Jon Gillies*
Anthony Stolarz
Thatcher Demko

Notes:
  • The players with an asterik (*) are the ones I would consider locks right now. I'd say Shore, O'Regan, and Erne are the only ones I have that are not 100% but I'd be shocked if they're not on the team.
  • I think you could likely add a few guys to the "almost locks" category. Guys like Skjei, McCoshen, and McCarron are all probably in place for their spots now but Skjei, with his awful season last year, and the Mc's as two '95s, still have to prove themselves further.
  • I think it may be one year too early for Cammarata to make a real impact on this team. But USAH brass was vocal about their regrets having cut Gaudreau two years ago and given that Cammy is the closest thing they have to that, and on a team with less top talent, I would think he's there regardless. However, I think it may be possible he starts as the extra forward until, or if, he proves he can handle a regular shift.
  • I just don't see how Samuelsson fits into this team. His skating doesn't fit in with what Team USA likes and Lucia is on record saying that if he is going to contribute to this team it would be offensively. Given his skating woes and his second straight no-show at this camp, I think Samuelsson watches from home again unless he just rips apart the WHL and has a much improved December camp.
  • I'm not a big fan of Fasching's game but he supposedly had a really good camp and looked strong on the "grind" line. But I think USAH likes to have their "grind" line in place early and I think Fasching is the most vulnerable of that group as he's the weakest skater of the three.
  • Normally I'd opt for a more defensive guy in the 7th d-man role, like a Pesce, but with the potential offensive woes, it makes more sense to bring along a guy like Butcher that is good on the PP and can chip in offensively. He's probably not ready for a ton of minutes 5-on-5 but I think he could make an impact in limited minutes.
  • Barring a underwhelming start to his U18 season, this team screams to have Jack Eichel on it. Bring him on as the extra forward and see how he does. If he doesn't make an impact, that's not unexpected because he would be 17. But with his size, speed, and skill, I think he's as likely to make an impact as anyone else in play for that potential role. And as a player that will likely be the star of the team the following two years, it's never a bad idea to get him acclimated.
  • It should be interesting to see who wasn't involved in this camp that gets in play. As I said earlier, I think usually they have the majority of their roster picked after this camp and that allows them to bring in some fresh faces to compete for the few remaining spots at the December camp. However, with this year's forward group I don't think they have as many spots nailed down as normal but I don't think they have the same depth to bring in a ton of new faces to compete for those spots. Obviously I mentioned Eichel as one but Jimmy Lodge is another. A guy like Connor Hurley has the tools but he'd have to dominate the USHL to get in play so that's probably not likely. Anyone else that could get in play?

Nice post. I think you have all of the bases covered. Personally, I think the U.S. brass desperately wanted to see Samuelsson step up but I think he once again falls short. The guy who I think will make a nice impact is Matteau. He's got enough skill to hang in the top six and gain some space for some smaller, skilled line mates. I don't see a ton of outside threats to make this roster. Lodge and Eichel are two good choices. Two more possibilities: Schmaltz and maybe a Paul Bittner.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Ate some big crow with that win vs Canada but still. I fell that forward group might have some problems when the big tourny comes around

It will be scoring by committee. Ultimately, I think this is going to be a team that will struggle to score at even strength but will have a good PP and will be able to exert physical dominance on the opposition.

Bardof425*

Forwards (x13):

Taylor Cammarata

Defense (x7):

Will Butcher

Goalies (x3):

Jon Gillies*
Anthony Stolarz
Thatcher Demko

Notes:

Skjei was far from awful last season. Should we take anything you say seriously?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Skjei was far from awful last season. Should we take anything you say seriously?

Awful was too harsh but given your status as a Rangers fan should I take anything you say about their prospects seriously? He had a sub-par freshman season - but use whatever adjective you'd like. He wasn't good at either WJC camp and he had a very up-and-down season at Minnesota last year. It's not a good year for someone with his size and skating ability to take a step backwards offensively and to not take a step forwards in any other regard.

I don't expect that to last though as Skjei should get more opportunity this year with Minnesota and won't need to adjust to the college game. He had a strong WJC camp and will be on the team barring a disastrous season. But that doesn't change the fact that he didn't have a good year last season.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Looks like a couple of locks for the team (Carrick and Sieloff) are going to be in the AHL this year and not back with their OHL teams. It's hard to say how this will effect their play but it certainly has a potential to be a boost to have 2 of its top 4 d-men used to playing against grown men. It can also backfire as well though.

The good thing is there shouldn't be any issues with their availability though.

EDIT: Looks like Matteau will also be in the AHL this year instead of the QMJHL.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
interesting start to the year.

it is going to be interesting to see if team USA will get the services of Connor Carrick, Stefan Matteau, and Pat Sieloff.

Carrick looks to be the one that could be the most troublesome as he is playing in the NHL right now. Who knows what the next few months will bring and if Sieloff or Matteau makes the jump up as well, but this could be a crushing blow to an already hard hit team that will be playing without Galchenyuk, Trouba, and Jones already.

there just isn't any logical reason why team USA can leave off Anthony DeAngelo this year. His play has been amazing, his offensive skills have been through the roof, and his defensive game has improved as well. With this team lacking pure offensive weapons, leaving this kid behind (they seem to have some issues with him) would be a crime.

DeAngelo could be that kid who got cut in the summer camp only to make the team in December.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I'm hoping Lodge and Copp both play for you guys this year, but Lodge is having a tough start with injuries.

If Jets keep drafting like this, I'll have to keep on cheering for you guys (like last season with Trouba haha)

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
What are the chances that nedeljkovic can take demkos spot as the underage goalie? Anyone else really in the running?

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Skjei has been much improved this year, he should be a lock at this point.

Cammarata has made a nice impact for a freshman but Fasching has been downright fantastic so far. He would be a great asset for this team, he's a much better skater than I was expecting for a kid his size.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Skjei has been much improved this year, he should be a lock at this point.

Cammarata has made a nice impact for a freshman but Fasching has been downright fantastic so far. He would be a great asset for this team, he's a much better skater than I was expecting for a kid his size.

Cammarata has been solid so far. No complaints at all as this Minny team is stacked and minutes are hard to come by.

But I am also very happy for Fasching as I said it last year, this kid is a big family man, he needs to be closer to his family at this point in his life. You knew something was off for him the two years at the USNDP, and I always figured being away from his family made his hockey life very difficult to concentrate on. This was the best decision for him to go to Minnesota and with him being closer to home, you can see a completely different player here. This could be the rise of something special here with Fasching. The kid just needed to be closer to his family to concentrate more on the game. Good for him.

What a stacked team the Gophers have. Top to bottom just loaded with talent.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Cammarata has been solid so far. No complaints at all as this Minny team is stacked and minutes are hard to come by.

But I am also very happy for Fasching as I said it last year, this kid is a big family man, he needs to be closer to his family at this point in his life. You knew something was off for him the two years at the USNDP, and I always figured being away from his family made his hockey life very difficult to concentrate on. This was the best decision for him to go to Minnesota and with him being closer to home, you can see a completely different player here. This could be the rise of something special here with Fasching. The kid just needed to be closer to his family to concentrate more on the game. Good for him.

What a stacked team the Gophers have. Top to bottom just loaded with talent.

Indeed, I went to the 6-1 shellacking of BC on Sunday and as impressed as I've been watching them on TV this year, they're even more impressive in person. I can't definitively say they're the best team in the country yet but they have to be the most entertaining.

Also couldn't be happier for Fasching, he's absolutely thriving on that line with Rau and Warning. It's scary to think he's only going to get better as the season goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad