WJC: USA WJC Team Prediction 2013-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Have been thinking about this recently, since this years gold medal team was well constructed, is there the possibility to mirror it next WJC? Obviously guys are tough to replace, so Ill do my best to find a comparable. Ill assume Trouba, Jones and Galchenyuk will be in the NHL, these guys really won't have a comparable, but Ill do my best.

Goalies

Jon Gillies - John Gibson
Tough to duplicate Gibson's success, but Gillies seems the heir apparent.

Thatcher Demko - Jon Gillies
The best 95 goalie backs up for experience.

Devin Williams - Garret Sparks
A solid OHL goalie replaces another.

Defense

Pat Seiloff - Pat Seiloff

Steve Santini - Jake Trouba
Probably not the same impact, but he can play physical and chip in offensively.

Brady Skjei - Seth Jones
Can skate and is big like Jones. A first rounder, maybe he finds more consistency.

Will Butcher - Jake McCabe
Not as big, but can do a bit of everything.

Ian McCoshen - Connor Murphy
Big, stay at home defenseman.

Matt Gryzlyck - Mike Reiley
Almost made the team this year in a similar role.

Anthony DeAngelo - Shayne Gostisbehere
Will need a dynamic defenseman, and some PP help.

Forwards

Riley Barber - Riley Barber

Ryan Hartman - Ryan Hartman

Henrik Samuelsson - JT Miller
Big, forward that uses his body, and can chip in offensively

Taylor Cammarata - Johnny Gaudreau
Only player in US system that can compare to Gaudreau's skill set.

Adam Erne - Alex Galchenyuk
Not as dynamic, but could have a big tourney

Nic Kerdiles - Jim Vesey
Probably an upgrade here. Bigger with more skill

Brady Vail - Vince Trocheck
Can do a bit of everything, in any role

Stefan Matteau - Tyler Biggs
Was last cut this year for similar role

JT Compher - Rocco Grimaldi
Hustler with speed who can chip in offensively, lots of energy

Tyler Motte/Ryan Fitzgerald - Sean Kuraly
Either would be an upgrade at center here

Boo Nieves/Jimmy Lodge/Jack Eichel/etc - Mario Lucia
All three have some height, and can real handle the puck. Could play 13th forward

Cole Bardreau and Blake Pietila could have numerous replacements

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Boo Nieves has contributed offensively for Michigan this year as a freshman. He needs to fill out though.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
I really doubt USA will go with 2 95's as backups. I'm thinking Collin Olson gets a spot due to past U18 performance.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Hopefully Nieves can make the team, he looked really good for the USA at the Ivan Hlinka a couple years back.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Hopefully Nieves can make the team, he looked really good for the USA at the Ivan Hlinka a couple years back.

I hope so as well. Hopefully the US moves past their issues with him from the past and realize that he could be one of the guys most counted on offensively for us next year as there really isnt going to be those dynamic players like Galchenyuk and Gaudreau agan..

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
The core group off the top of my head.

Kerdiles- Galchenyuk- Barber
Matteau- Vail - Erne
Hartman-O'Regan- Samuelsson
Nieves-Compher-Fasching
Eichel

Sieloff-Trouba
Skjei-Jones
Grzelcyk-Schmaltz
McCoshen

Gillies
Stolarz
Demko

I think Galchenyuk is almost certainly gone. I'd bet Trouba is back and Jones is probably gone.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
there is a good group of wild card type players that I think could have a lot of upside and could really add a lot of depth to our team.

I hope these kids develope nicely and all fight for a spot on this team next year : Chris Calnan, Mackenzie MacEachern, Sam Kurker, Ben Johnson, Zach Stepan, Dominic Toninato, Daniel O'Regan, and Cody Payne are off the top of my head as kids that could have an impact to make this team. This group has some size as a number of these kids are 6'2 and above.. It wont be highend skill, but some of these kids can easily fill roles that we will need filled next year.

Defensively a kid like Connor Carrick definitely needs to be in the running here as well...kid is having a great start to his CHL career. Him and Dylan Blujus should be top names for the camp this summer on the backend. Nick Ebert as well could get a final chance to make camp though he really hasnt improved away from the puck this year...same with Anthony DeAngelo...

I think our 95's are going to be relied upon pretty heavy next year as well as a possible few 96's making the cut as well...

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
The core group off the top of my head.

Kerdiles- Galchenyuk- Barber
Matteau- Vail - Erne
Hartman-O'Regan- Samuelsson
Nieves-Compher-Fasching
Eichel

Sieloff-Trouba
Skjei-Jones
Grzelcyk-Schmaltz
McCoshen

Gillies
Stolarz
Demko

I think Galchenyuk is almost certainly gone. I'd bet Trouba is back and Jones is probably gone.

Schmaltz is too old. he is a late 93.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I would also imagine that depending upon where Trouba and Jones play next year that Keaton Thompson will make this team as the USA Hockey brass usually takes 4-5 of their dmen from the USNDP....either current or alumni. And if both Jones and Trouba are gone, I can easily see them putting Thompson in that role, and the same for Steve Santini who has the size and skill to do just fine here.

I think the trio of Carrick, Santini, and Thompson will be major players for the US depending upon if Trouba and Jones come back... and Santini and Thompson look like first round picks, so the skill and talent is there..

also keep an eye on Evan Allen, John Hayden, and Michael McCarron...depending on how their freshman years go, all 3 kids could be possibilities as well as we know how much the US brass loves their USNDP kids!

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Oh well even if Jones is gone we'd have close to four returning players. I know Skjei and Grzelcyk didn't make the team but they still got a bit of a taste of it.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
what about connor hurley? isnt he a 1st/2nd round talent this year?

yes he is, and is another name to add to the list. he could be the first American forward taken depending upon where Erne goes, but many consider him pretty highend so I would imagine he will be here in some capacity..

Erne, Hurley, Compher, Hartman, Motte, and Fasching all have first round possibility at this point, so hopefully we have a solid draft forward wise.

Also keep an eye out for Tyler Hill...kid is 6'6 225lb playing for the Mission...a complete wildcard here as he has only played a few games so far, but you can see the talent he posses and will be a name to keep an eye out for at the draft

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
They need to take Cammarata and have a major role for him. 17 years olds just don't put up 2 pts per game in the USHL. He's on of the few eligible players that when the puck is on his stick, you know he's not giving it away. His offense will be needed.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Do you think there's an outside shot for Mackenzie MacEachern to make the team?

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
They need to take Cammarata and have a major role for him. 17 years olds just don't put up 2 pts per game in the USHL. He's on of the few eligible players that when the puck is on his stick, you know he's not giving it away. His offense will be needed.

ud think after seeing another short player with high end skill score 7 goals in this tournament that they would realize a player like cammarata can be very effective in this tournament.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Oh well even if Jones is gone we'd have close to four returning players. I know Skjei and Grzelcyk didn't make the team but they still got a bit of a taste of it.

I think its likely Skjei will make the final team, but both of them are going to have some competition in their way, especially Grzelcyk who will likely have to battle with Connor Carrick and Anthony DeAngelo for that offensive dman spot... but with both being USNDP alum, and both almost making the team this year, I am sure they will be involved somehow next year...hopefully Skjei improves a bunch by then.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Do you think there's an outside shot for Mackenzie MacEachern to make the team?

who knows, just throwing him out there for a grinder role as he could do that well...he has looked good for the Steel so far this year, though not tearing it up, but depending how his freshman year goes, he could be a Jimmy Vesey type player that surprises if given the chance. he is actually a better playmaker then scorer like Vesey is as well..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad