WC: USA Roster

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Canada v USA Gold Medal Game incoming. It will be a beautiful thing. Make it happen, McDavid. too bad Matthews decided not to partake.

JTD

Apr 7, 2016
USA
meh...he played pretty poorly against the Jets...we need center help so I will take it, damn just wished Pavelski would have come!
He’s an upgrade on having White in the top 6. Slide Larkin up with Atkinson and Kane and have Bonino play with Lee and Gaudreau and they’ll be fine. Would have been nice to have Guentzel or Pavelski but from what was available, this is a decent consolation

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
He’s an upgrade on having White in the top 6. Slide Larkin up with Atkinson and Kane and have Bonino play with Lee and Gaudreau and they’ll be fine. Would have been nice to have Guentzel or Pavelski but from what was available, this is a decent consolation
oh I agree, sorry if I came off as knocking him, he is a good player, just watched the whole Jets/Preds playoffs and he was hardly noticeable. After getting news of McAvoy I should have immediately lowered expectations as lightning doesn't strike twice in a row lol!!!

He will help here and as you said bump one of those centers out which now gives us a legit top 6 - full 2 lines of NHL talent...I have high hopes for this team, hopefully they beat Finland and run the table here and get the top seed.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Dude Bonino is huge. I never expected a player like him to come. Perfect compliment. A center who can play in all three zones. Honestly if we win gold I’m never going to another worlds again since I skipped this one. I’ll take it for the team guys!

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

The Great Dame

Goose will be loose
Jan 3, 2008
NJ
Yeah Bonino is a pretty mediocre addition, would've preferred Pavelski or LaBanc or Guentzel but definitely better than nothing I guess.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Dude Bonino is huge. I never expected a player like him to come. Perfect compliment. A center who can play in all three zones. Honestly if we win gold I’m never going to another worlds again since I skipped this one. I’ll take it for the team guys!
he will definitely be better than Coleman at center between Kane and DeBrincat, so that is nice. and Coleman has been fine, just nowhere near on the same talent level as many of our wingers.

DeBrincat - Bonino - Kane
Lee - Larkin - Atkinson
Gaudreau - Coleman - Kreider
Milano - White - Ryan
Thompson/Gibbons

That is how I would like to see the offense...not too f'n shabby!!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I may be in the minority but gold or bust !!
this is a mobile/fast team...as long as they win out, they should have a nice road to get there...they have the talent to be in the Gold medal game, only Canada has more talent overall than we do...Finland has 2 real good lines, but nothing much after that and their defense is well worse than ours...Sweden looks good, but nothing spectacular, they are still transitioning from all their legends aging out. Czechs could be the pure wild card team that wins this thing...I am with you though, Gold or bust for this group should be the case with the amount of talent we have here.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
this is a mobile/fast team...as long as they win out, they should have a nice road to get there...they have the talent to be in the Gold medal game, only Canada has more talent overall than we do...Finland has 2 real good lines, but nothing much after that and their defense is well worse than ours...Sweden looks good, but nothing spectacular, they are still transitioning from all their legends aging out. Czechs could be the pure wild card team that wins this thing...I am with you though, Gold or bust for this group should be the case with the amount of talent we have here.

lol nothing spectaculoa. So with our nashville star players it isnt enough?Our legends did retire quite long ago, lidstrom, forsberg, alfredsson, sundin. 5-10 years ago.

Last edited:

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Played with CapFriendly and calculated the cap hit of the USA team after Bonino (minues Hughes, who isn't signed): Team USA IIHF WC 2018 Roster Cap calculation - Armchair-GM - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

This is the first USA team in recent memory at the Worlds that is actually a Cap floor team. This is also likely one of the only USA rosters on the Worlds that matches the cap hit of an actual NHL team - Assuming Hughes would be a league minimum signing, it should put the team above the Coyotes and near the Hurricanes in cap hit.

Progress, I say.

Reactions: Xokkeu

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Played with CapFriendly and calculated the cap hit of the USA team after Bonino (minues Hughes, who isn't signed): Team USA IIHF WC 2018 Roster Cap calculation - Armchair-GM - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

This is the first USA team in recent memory at the Worlds that is actually a Cap floor team. This is also likely one of the only USA rosters on the Worlds that matches the cap hit of an actual NHL team - Assuming Hughes would be a league minimum signing, it should put the team above the Coyotes and near the Hurricanes in cap hit.

Progress, I say.
Dylan Larkin hasn't signed his 5.5-6x8 yet.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yeah Bonino is a pretty mediocre addition, would've preferred Pavelski or LaBanc or Guentzel but definitely better than nothing I guess.
He'll be better than every one at C not named Larkin. I am a Sens fan routing for White but .. he would be better lower.. He probably goes back to 4c.

Reactions: topshelf15

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
I'm a little worried as more American players are joining and a lot of Canadian superstars are choosing not to...
The only thing we should be worried about is our goaltending. Kuemper is terrible and McE has played mediocre teams so far, looking to see how he does against Finland but not getting Jones or Murray in net has put a dent in net for this squad.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
Haven't watched US games much. How has Kane looked? Seems to me he's matured off and on the ice. Not as explosive but more reliable.

Also, although Swedish, a part of me really would like to see a US gold medal for some reason. You guys just deserve it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad