Olympics: USA Roster Discussion (Roster in post 1)

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
That's totally ridiculous.
Good 'beer league' teams would downright be curb-stomped by even Great Britain teams. Most players in GB are ex-CHL/NCAA guys who are currently ECHL level.

Did you read my previous post in this thread?
It doesn't seem like it, so I'll give you the run-down:

-Basically, another poster claimed that top beer league teams were better than european pros
- I responded, saying this was only true if by "beer league" he was referring to high level Senior AAA teams (teams like the Bentley Generals, etc. who regularly compete for the Allen Cup)
- AND that this was only true of lesser European leagues and obviously not the KHL, SHL, NLA.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
I can’t believe the Slovaks fell for it again. Secret must still be safe after you tried to spill the beans. I hope the US continues to refuse to play as if they’re the favorites to win the game.

You must have misread my posts, because what you're saying makes zero sense. With "inferior opponent", I was referring to Slovakia, and the trick you mention works against Slovakia who are now out of the tournament, so I have no idea what you're talking about. :huh:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
You must have misread my posts, because what you're saying makes zero sense. With "inferior opponent", I was referring to Slovakia, and the trick you mention works against Slovakia who are now out of the tournament, so I have no idea what you're talking about. :huh:

I know what you said. It was a ridiculous claim and hilarious how quickly you pivoted from “you tricked us!” to “good luck coming up with a new trick for this second matchup” to “yeah, well we suck, good luck against a better team.”

Yes, we know Slovakia isn’t good. No, the US didn’t beat Slovakia due to tricks. Yes, we know Team USA hasn’t proved they’re any good either. Yes, we know the Czechs are a bigger challenge than the Slovaks.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
I know what you said. It was a ridiculous claim and hilarious how quickly you pivoted from “you tricked us!” to “good luck coming up with a new trick for this second matchup” to “yeah, well we suck, good luck against a better team.”

Sorry, but you're arguing with a bunch of strawmen of your own imagination; I'm not aware of any "pivot". Why not directly ask what I mean, instead of misrepresenting me?

Even if the three statements you listed represented my views faithfully (which they don't), they don't contradict each other, and so no "pivot" is required, if anyone should subscribe to them.

Slovakia fell into the US "trap" (if you will) in the first game, and it fell in the same trap in the second game, too, despite claiming it was ready for it the next time around. So, this has nothing to do with me pivoting or not pivoting, but with the team's failure to execute their game plan.

Oh, and I never remotely suggested we didn't suck – not before the first game, not before the second, and not now, either.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
You guys will play the czechs right?

If their game against us is any indication you have a real test on your hands, they played real good team defense, were physical and their goalie was rock solid, he covers a lot of net. I think they actually have a shot at taking gold here from what I've seen of them.

That will be a tough game.

They're beatable. If we play like we did yesterday.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
We usually do okay against the czechs in the worlds in the last three years or so. Beat them in the shootout in St. Petersburg. Beat them in Bronze medal game in Prague. Lost in Minsk. so I think we should have a decent shot at this one.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
This Olympic team feels like the WJC team. One line offensively and a guaranteed bad goal against each game.

I agree with Milbury and Pierre. Those first 10 minutes were the best Zapolski had looked all tournament. He looked dialed in, and then wham, another awfully soft goal. That can't happen.

I guess yesterday's goal convinced Arcobello he's a sniper, but he's been the Czechs best penalty killer.

Greenway is steadily trending downward with each passing game. Enough with the dumb penalties.

Speaking of dumb penalties, what the hell is McCarthy doing?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
terrible penalty by McCarthy...Greenway is just over doing it...he just needs to use his body in the right areas and knock off the lazy stupid ones. Kid has made at least 5-6 sick passes over the past few games...just needs to stay out of the damn box.

overall good first period - I expected us to be tired with a back to back, we usually play better as the game goes on so lets hope for a better 2nd

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I usually avoid GDTs as they're typically too much trolling or low quality conversation.

oh I know, we battled for years in far too many USA/Canada WJC GDTs...
but,
they have been good, mainly US fans and no shit talking...it has been fun to see who comes out of the woodwork to comment..honestly I havent seen anyone say anything bad the past 2 games in there

Reactions: William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
It felt like the wheels were falling off that period with all the time on the PK, the lack of offensive zone pressure or shots, and the Czechs taking the lead. Our team looked like they were skating in mud, the effects of having played less than 24 hours before starting to show, especially as the Czechs don't lumber around the ice like the Slovaks.

Had the Czechs scored on that Arcobello penalty, it probably would have been over. Instead, O'Neill makes a great play on the PK with his speed to not only corral the loose puck, but break it out and find Slater streaking down the ice to tie it up. It wasn't just big because it evened the game, but it took back control of the game. We finished the period with the better of the play, and since we won't start the 3rd on the PK like we did the 2nd, we can hopefully start strong in the 3rd.

Let's go!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad