OT: USA Olympic Camp Invitees Announced

Btown

Oct 1, 2011
Sorry ... I will take that back, I guess I'm just in the 95% as Mike stated.

It's all good, I was under the notion that it was 95% the other way but I was clearly wrong my friends and I are a rare breed.
I still stand strong on my belief but I will learn to quite my voice down as to not offend....

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Sorry to say (as a huge fan of the Olympics in the past), but the "everyone gets a medal, even if we have to invent a sport to do it" trend in the Olympics has soured me on it. Synchronized swimmers/divers, ice dancers, and little girls who twirl ribbons and hoops can win Olympic gold. It's like they make up derivative sports just for people who stink at the original sport.

Only hockey players can win the Stanley Cup.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'd probably go with the 80 Olympic gold over the 79 too-man-men-on-the-ice Stanley Cup year (although it was against Montreal only one notch below the Soviets:naughty:)....I wonder what Mike Milbury would take? That was his one chance at the Cup and he was directly involved.

if I had a crystal ball and knew what life would be like 30 years later I would rather have the Cup- lets face it Rocky beating Ivan Drago was probably even a bigger upset than the 1980 Olympic game; and Mike Eurzione has sold the stick and other memorabilia from that game....also who doesn't like Pavel Datsuk.

Serpico4ever

Jul 4, 2010
Brighton, MA
I guess I'm not a true hockey fan.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Relax man, you can care about both, and loving one or the other more isn't the defining test as to your level of love for country or sport. For me its whichever is happening at the exact moment!:laugh: Vancouver reminded me of being a teenager in the nineties when hockey was really blowing up in the States, and the Olympics were a national bonding type of event. You don't get that in basketball, or soccer, or any other team sport in the Olympics.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Oh good lord.

You can be a fan and still fall into this arbitrary and unable to be proven 5th percentile of people that grew up wanting to score the gold medal winner.

I started playing hockey in Minneapolis in 1979. Going forward, Me and every other boy and girl with sticks and skates 10 years on either side of my age were all about playing for one legendary Herb Brooks in the Olympics and scoring the winning goal wearing red, white and blue.

If that makes me 5% so be it. I like being edgy anyway.

Add to that, Since a ridiculous number of Minnesotans play hockey at all levels of the game, I'm gonna blow that arbitrary 95% number out of the water.

Do what you wanna do, score on the Russians in Sochi or score against your most hated goalie in G7 of the Cup finals. Who the **** cares :laugh:

unifiedtheory

Twitter: @ut_pez
Jun 18, 2007
Burnaby, B.C.
39 years is a long time to wait, I know....
Imagine Canada hadn't won it in that long? Think of how craZy that would have been.....
The gold medal in Salt Lake was Canada's first gold in 50 years.

I cheered, I was happy and it was a cool moment.

Canada winning in 2010 in Vancouver was special. I cheered, it was a cool moment.

The Bruins winning in 2011 was the greatest sports ride I've ever been on. It was 2 months. I celebrated almost every Bruin goal in the 2011 playoffs more than celebrated Crosby's golden goal.

I have rewatched the full length game (of the wins) from 2011 at least twice. I've watched dafoomie's highlight packs (of the wins) from 2011 at least a dozen times each.

Olympics are cool, it's fun and I care but in my opinion, NOTHING matches a Bruins Cup victory.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
Parise - Kesler - Kane
Ryan - Stepan - Kessel
Pacioretty - Pavelski - Callahan
Stastny - Backes - Brown
JVR/Okposo

Suter - Yandle
Mcdonaugh - Shatty
J. Johnson - Carlson/Orpik/Bogo

Quick
Miller
Howard

:yo:

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
I am gonna have a hard time rooting for the US if Pacioretty is on the team, just one of those guys I truly loathe. I know most people will disagree with me taking that stance based on one player being on the team but I do not want that piece of scum to win anything in his career whether it's the Olympics or NHL.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I am gonna have a hard time rooting for the US if Pacioretty is on the team, just one of those guys I truly loathe. I know most people will disagree with me taking that stance based on one player being on the team but I do not want that piece of scum to win anything in his career whether it's the Olympics or NHL.

If it helps, I am sure there is someone on every team you hate.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
It's too bad Couturier played for Canada in Juniors. He could have been useful in the 3C shutdown role.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
If it helps, I am sure there is someone on every team you hate.

Sure, but with Pacioretty it's kind of personal (I know it sounds silly). I have a lot of friends who grew up with him in New Canaan and still keep in contact with him. The ****storm that I had to deal with post-Chara hit was ridiculous as if I had put a bounty on his head before the game. It basically played out like hf thread between Bruins and Habs fans discussing the hit but with more personal attacks. They're friends, but they live up to the whiny overprivileged Fairfield County stereotype, and I see those characteristics every time Patches makes a comment.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
Solid lineup, not sure how well they'll fair against some of the more talented squads but still a solid lineup.

Not surprised Thomas didn't get an invite. Had he played last season, I believe he gets the call over Schneider.

Maybe the conspiracy theorists can start spinning his refusal to visit the white house lead to this exclusion.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Resurrecting:

Bill Guerin and Chris Drury with the new USA Olympic jerseys unveiled today. Not sure why they couldn't get a camera on the other side of the net....

HigwJAJ.png

Eh. I dunno. Might warm up to them.

member 96824

I just hope Backes goes on a canadian beat down streak like he did in 2010 leading up to the Olympics

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Carlson if he makes it, he's from Natick I believe.

Born in Natick, moved to NJ when he was very young. I believe he has a lot of family in the area tho.

Schneider, Yandle, Patches, Shattenkirk and Quick are native New Englanders. Schneider and Yandle are the only MA born players.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
I just hope Backes goes on a canadian beat down streak like he did in 2010 leading up to the Olympics

The B's 2nd to last game before the olympic break is against the Blues. If Backes is doing his act again I wonder if Lucic might not get that last forward spot....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad