USA Hockey Considering Ban on Fighting

Bring Back GLR

Commit to the Indian
Nov 8, 2006
Blackhawkville
Having John Scott didnt seem to deter Torres from destroying Seabrook at all in the Nucks series nor did having Bollig when Torres got us again when he tagged Hossa. For starters Torres can handle himself in a fight and even if John Scott had a chance to tune him up, Torres would still do it again.

The "answering the bell" part doesn't deter cheap shots. The NHL with fighting in or fighting out is still gonna have players like this. You either cheap shot em back or the league has to start longer suspensions. My opinion you might as well just drop fighting altogether and enforce the rules harder.

RomersWorld*

Chara, Thornton, Campbell, Lucic, McQuaid, ect....Bruins might be the toughest team in the NHL.

Yet Eriksson has been concussed twice this year, Horton was knocked out in the SCF by a dirty hit, Neal kneed a Bruin in the head, ect ect ect

Dirty hits lead to more dirty hits. Bruins play on an edge and they get cheapshotted as much as anyone else despite being so tough and scary! How could this be?

How come the Hawks are getting less injured and get less dirty hits than when we had hulking John Scott? He really makes a difference since enforcers aren't on the ice the same time as stars anyways.

Bring Back GLR

Commit to the Indian
Nov 8, 2006
Blackhawkville
Fighting is an antiquated dinosaur method of dealing with things as it is, players don't police themselves as they keep saying in countless interviews. Let the league deal with it just like any other professional sport.

I would like to add that I love players who like to mix it up and stir the pot as I don't want to see that taken away. A guy like Ott or Torres minus the cheap shots can easily play in today's game over guys like John Scott whose role is just utterly useless.

Last edited:

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Having John Scott didnt seem to deter Torres from destroying Seabrook at all in the Nucks series nor did having Bollig when Torres got us again when he tagged Hossa. For starters Torres can handle himself in a fight and even if John Scott had a chance to tune him up, Torres would still do it again.

The "answering the bell" part doesn't deter cheap shots. The NHL with fighting in or fighting out is still gonna have players like this. You either cheap shot em back or the league has to start longer suspensions. My opinion you might as well just drop fighting altogether and enforce the rules harder.

That's exactly what would happen, and exactly what no one wants.... and please no comparing hockey to football or soccer or any other sport. These guys are skating around at 20+ mph with weapons in their hands. Better to fight then use those weapons more than they already do. In fact as I said previously, it is the stick infractions that need to be clamped down on ... and hard. Start issuing fines and suspensions for blatant infractions of the stick, not just the high sticks either.

EDIT: and I should have added get rid of the instigator ruling. The instigator should be the one administering the cheap shot. That's what starts most fights.

Last edited:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Chara, Thornton, Campbell, Lucic, McQuaid, ect....Bruins might be the toughest team in the NHL.

Yet Eriksson has been concussed twice this year, Horton was knocked out in the SCF by a dirty hit, Neal kneed a Bruin in the head, ect ect ect

Dirty hits lead to more dirty hits. Bruins play on an edge and they get cheapshotted as much as anyone else despite being so tough and scary! How could this be?

How come the Hawks are getting less injured and get less dirty hits than when we had hulking John Scott? He really makes a difference since enforcers aren't on the ice the same time as stars anyways.

Also, team fights doesn't have anything to do with which teams do best in the standings are who get cheapshotted the most

http://www.hockeyfights.com/leaders/teams/1/reg2014

Fighting is an antiquated dinosaur method of dealing with things as it is, players don't police themselves as they keep saying in countless interviews. Let the league deal with it just like any other professional sport.

I would like to add that I love players who like to mix it up and stir the pot as I don't want to see that taken away. A guy like Ott or Torres minus the cheap shots can easily play in today's game over guys like John Scott whose role is just utterly useless.

I agree with this.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I've said it before, I'll say it again.... I like fighting in pro hockey. I hope that they never get rid of it, would be upset it if they did, but it wouldn't be nearly enough to turn me away from the game. And, truth be told, I fully expect the simple liability factor of it to eventually kill fighting in the pro game.

The more I think about it, the more I'm okay with having it banned entirely until you reach the pro level, too. Even at the USHL level, you're still talking about 16- and 17-year olds making up a sizable portion of the rosters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad