WC: USA at the 2010 World Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
I wonder how this affects the seedings for next year. With Slovakia also doing poorly, Canada likely out in the QF, and one of Switzerland and Germany making it to the SF, there could be some really lopsided groups.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I wonder how this affects the seedings for next year. With Slovakia also doing poorly, Canada likely out in the QF, and one of Switzerland and Germany making it to the SF, there could be some really lopsided groups.

I don't think it is likely that Canada loses. All they have to do is to start strong and get an early goal.

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA
So dissapointed with this tournament. I've been a big believer in the depth of US hockey as evidenced by the comparitively large number of NHL players and draft picks we produce but results like this really make me question that belief. There are always questions of chemistry in an event like this but, to me, it simply can't be an excuse for such a bad showing. If the Finns, Swedes and Czechs can have the showings they're having with rosters that appear to be so weak on paper, why the hell can't we?

For our success at the junior level to mean anything we have to become a force at all adult level tournaments. If the Finns, with a talent pool the size of Minnesota, can have as many medals at the adult level as they do, there's NO reason we can't.

I think you are a bit too hard on USA hockey and maybe the guys in the tournament.

It is hard to fly over the pond and play. Period. The rules aren't vastly different, but the interpretation can be, so it takes a bit of time to get into it. Also, I don't know if Team USA had any gatherings before the tournament. I know Sweden pulled together some guys (not all) but half the team or so for a couple of weekends and bonded before the WCH. In a short tournament like this, it matters. Just imagine if the USA team would have been as synched in the opening game vs. Germany as they were vs. Khazakstan.

Also had you not lost a hard fought and close game to Finland, they would have been in the relegation group, and you could very well have been going in as a #3-4 seed for the QF's. Wasn't it last year that Slovakia missed the qualification round?

It's a short tourney, and strange things can happen. It's sucks to be you this year, but it's great for global hockey that nations who never thought they would have a chance all of a sudden can pull out a win or two. Next year it's somebody else's lot to fight in the swamp. That is the blessing and the curse of the tourney.

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA

Aren't the WCHs groups based on world ranking? In such case, I have a feeling that the olympic results will balance out the affects this year's WCH results. Ic ould be wrong though.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

Seedings are based on world ranking. USA entered the tournament in 3rd after the Olympics, they'll likely fall to either 5th or 6th.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Why didn't Laliberte, Roach and Engelhardt, Hamilton or even Milley suit up for the US?

It seems all of them could've had an impact and brought offensive flair to the team.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Seedings are based on world ranking. USA entered the tournament in 3rd after the Olympics, they'll likely fall to either 5th or 6th.

If the Czechs beat Finland, they'll be 6th, otherwise 5th. If 5th, their group would be either Sweden or Finland, & the 12th & 13th seeds (could be Germany, Denmark, Latvia). If 6th, it's either Sweden or Finland, the 11th seed (Norway, Latvia, Germany or Denmark) & Austria.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
If the Czechs beat Finland, they'll be 6th, otherwise 5th. If 5th, their group would be either Sweden or Finland, & the 12th & 13th seeds (could be Germany, Denmark, Latvia). If 6th, it's either Sweden or Finland, the 11th seed (Norway, Latvia, Germany or Denmark) & Austria.

By my calculations, Switzerland can still pass the US if they win the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad