WC: USA at the 2010 World Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Ok so what happens now for USA? They play one of the 3 other teams and loser is out?

The 4 teams (USA, Italy, France, Kazakhstan) all play one another. Afterward, the top 2 stay in the top division and the bottom 2 are relegated.

Here's their remaining schedule:

Date Opponent Time (EDT) / Result

May 15 Kazakhstan 10:15 a.m.
May 16 France 6:15 a.m.
May 18 Italy 6:15 a.m.

Geric

Apr 9, 2010
France is the only team that has shown a little bit of life, and they have several decent players playing in the Swiss and Swedish leagues. Plus, Da Costa is a good prospect.

But the Americans really shouldn't have any trouble with any of the teams. It wasn't expected to be that way, but in hindsight the Americans were in the most difficult group.

Denmark has clearly over-achieved, and Germany can be a better team than they have been over the last few years, so it isn't too disastrous that the Americans struggled. And Finland was always going to be troublesome.

But if the US can't deal with Italy, France, and Kazakhstan, then there really is a huge problem.

I think France has a good chance of avoiding relegation, the Italians and the Kazakhs are going to have to focus on good goal differentials against the Americans in case there is a three-way tie between the Italians, the French, and the Kazakhs.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
France is the only team that has shown a little bit of life, and they have several decent players playing in the Swiss and Swedish leagues. Plus, Da Costa is a good prospect.

But the Americans really shouldn't have any trouble with any of the teams. It wasn't expected to be that way, but in hindsight the Americans were in the most difficult group.

Denmark has clearly over-achieved, and Germany can be a better team than they have been over the last few years, so it isn't too disastrous that the Americans struggled. And Finland was always going to be troublesome.

But if the US can't deal with Italy, France, and Kazakhstan, then there really is a huge problem.

I think France has a good chance of avoiding relegation, the Italians and the Kazakhs are going to have to focus on good goal differentials against the Americans in case there is a three-way tie between the Italians, the French, and the Kazakhs.

Actually, in a three way tie results against the Americans aren't considered. The tiebreak would be points followed by goal differential (and then goals scored) in games against the other two tied teams. It only matters if they are still tied after that (unlikely).

And technically, the US hasn't clinched yet. But in order for them to be relegated, France must win against Kazakhstan in regulation and Italy must beat the US by 8 goals. This would cause a three way tie between the US, Italy, and France, and the teams would be tied on points against the other two (3 points each), and this would leave the goal differential in games against the other 2 as Italy +7, France -3, and USA -4. However, if USA loses to Italy by 8 or more goals...they'd deserve to be relegated. That just should not happen.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Aside from the overall disappointing result of the tournament, Kyle Okposo has to be the single most disappointing player. Two years in a row where underwhelming is being polite when describing his performance.

Ilyeu

Jan 10, 2010
Dubinsky leads the tournament in scoring. I just thought I had to point that out. Come on guys, you have to think that's funny. :laugh:

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Yea Kyle played great last year.. i remember he scored against Russia. Well atleast American fans know that there will be a next year!

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Yea Kyle played great last year.. i remember he scored against Russia. Well atleast American fans know that there will be a next year!

He was better last year because he at least had some high points but he's too inconsistent, and not just in the scoring department. There were so many golden scoring chances he flubbed last year. It was like Colin Wilson at the WJC all over again.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
So dissapointed with this tournament. I've been a big believer in the depth of US hockey as evidenced by the comparitively large number of NHL players and draft picks we produce but results like this really make me question that belief. There are always questions of chemistry in an event like this but, to me, it simply can't be an excuse for such a bad showing. If the Finns, Swedes and Czechs can have the showings they're having with rosters that appear to be so weak on paper, why the hell can't we?

For our success at the junior level to mean anything we have to become a force at all adult level tournaments. If the Finns, with a talent pool the size of Minnesota, can have as many medals at the adult level as they do, there's NO reason we can't.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I think the biggest problem for the USA and Canada was not knowing how to play on the bigger ice. It is such a different game on the bigger ice.

Most of the US players played on big ice in college. They should know the differences.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Its sad to see this at the bottom of the forums. Hopefully, American players will see these results and feel obligated to play next year

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
So dissapointed with this tournament. I've been a big believer in the depth of US hockey as evidenced by the comparitively large number of NHL players and draft picks we produce but results like this really make me question that belief. There are always questions of chemistry in an event like this but, to me, it simply can't be an excuse for such a bad showing. If the Finns, Swedes and Czechs can have the showings they're having with rosters that appear to be so weak on paper, why the hell can't we?

For our success at the junior level to mean anything we have to become a force at all adult level tournaments. If the Finns, with a talent pool the size of Minnesota, can have as many medals at the adult level as they do, there's NO reason we can't.

While I'm disappointed by the showing, I can't say it's all that surprising given the youth, inexperience, and lack of consistency on the roster. There's some good talent on this roster, but they're not prime-time players yet-and it showed. There's also a ton of parity in this tournament, as demonstrated by the struggles of several quality teams. Look at Canada, they're doing slighly better than the U.S., but also (more thank likely) won't leave with a medal.

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
I think the biggest problem for the USA and Canada was not knowing how to play on the bigger ice. It is such a different game on the bigger ice.

I just don't know how much I agree with that. The 2002 Olympics were on the big ice and USA-Canada made the finals. I actually think it's more of an issue of USA and Canada having trouble playing outside North America.

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
While I'm disappointed by the showing, I can't say it's all that surprising given the youth, inexperience, and lack of consistency on the roster. There's some good talent on this roster, but they're not prime-time players yet-and it showed. There's also a ton of parity in this tournament, as demonstrated by the struggles of several quality teams. Look at Canada, they're doing slighly better than the U.S., but also (more thank likely) won't leave with a medal.

Looking at the USA's roster, I'm not surprised they didn't medal, but I am shocked and disappointed they ended up in the relegation round. Even a team of 20 Taylor Chorney's and Jack Hillen's should be able to advance from a group containing Finland, Germany, and Denmark.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Looking at the USA's roster, I'm not surprised they didn't medal, but I am shocked and disappointed they ended up in the relegation round. Even a team of 20 Taylor Chorney's and Jack Hillen's should be able to advance from a group containing Finland, Germany, and Denmark.

Easier said than done. Germany's the home team feeding off a ton of energy, Denmark is one of the surprises of this tourney, and Finland is always tough-in any tournament. The U.S. lost all three games (two in OT) by one goal. Honestly, none of this should be a shock given the inexperience and inconsistency of the roster.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Only a handful of colleges play on olympic ice that I can think of off the top of my head: UNH, CC, Minny.

The mindset looks more european when watching university hockey IMO. But then again I've only seen a couple more than a handful games in the early 00s..

Sayuri

Dec 30, 2006
Alberta, Canada
I think the American players tend to play very well when they are heavily motivated. Something like the Olympics and how badly they wanted to be able to beat Canada at home, it brought out the best in all their players and that was a damn good team.

Perhaps the WHC taking place in Germany just didn't provide the right type of motivation?

The US team doesn't experience the type of pressure from their home country that many other teams do, they know that most people back home don't follow the WHC and won't really care if they don't perform well. The same applies to other tournaments but in certain situations they experience pressure internally to be able to take something away from a rival.

Maybe the motivation just wasn't there for this particular tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad