Tennis: US Open 2023

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Fritz beats Stricker in straight sets and it's 3 American men in the final 8. When was the last time that happened? Djokovic is likely coming out of that half, but still it's good for American mens tennis.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Stricker acquitted himself well, but Fritz continued his excellent play with a three set win. Likely motivated by his miserable first-round exit last year to an old chum from juniors, he is playing with a lot of grit and determination right now.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Solid, efficient, rather subdued win for Nole in three over Gojo. Not an opponent for Nole to get too excited about, and he didn't.

Reactions: Filppula

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Fritz beats Stricker in straight sets and it's 3 American men in the final 8. When was the last time that happened? Djokovic is likely coming out of that half, but still it's good for American mens tennis.
That's a good question. I had to look it up, but it was 2005--Agassi, Blake and Ginepri.

Reactions: Filppula

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
If the USTA is smart, Novak - Fritz would play during the day, not night. Higher chance of Novak losing in the sun / heat, IMO.

It's going to be a good one!

Reactions: MsMeow

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nervous second set from Swiatek as Jelena evens the match at a set apiece. She is 3-0 lifetime against Swiatek, and Iga is definitely feeling the pressure at the moment.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Swiatek completely falls apart as Ostapenko feasts on second serves, 6-1. What an embarrassing performance? I must watch all the wrong Swiatek matches because I have never quite gotten the mystique. Yes, she has been #1 for 76 weeks, but it seems like most of the times that I have seen her her emotions crack like eggshells.

Full points to Ostapenko--she knew the right buttons to press.

Reactions: Ben Grimm

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Swiatek completely falls apart as Ostapenko feasts on second serves, 6-1. What an embarrassing performance? I must watch all the wrong Swiatek matches because I have never quite gotten the mystique. Yes, she has been #1 for 76 weeks, but it seems like most of the times that I have seen her her emotions crack like eggshells.

Full points to Ostapenko--she knew the right buttons to press.

She folded like a cheap tent.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I went to bed after the first set and figured Iga would have won. The last 2 were so lopsided! Ostapenko is taking her tennis seriously, she has lost weight and added muscle.

Reactions: kihei

Ben Grimm

Blue collar cool 🛒
Dec 10, 2007
Lower E. Side
distrokid.com
1693839228216.png

Agreed with you, guys. Another thing that amazes me is that if you look at the image Ostapenko is not fit. I doubt she'll go all the way despite her draw.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Agreed with you, guys. Another thing that amazes me is that if you look at the image Ostapenko is not fit. I doubt she'll go all the way despite her draw.
Maybe not as fit as she needs to be, but she has lost significant weight over the past few months. She seemed surprisingly agile last night. That being said, I am liking Coco's chances more and more to win this tournament.

On another note, this time concerning Vondrousova, how dumb do you have to be to let some talentless amateur practice his non-existent tattooing skills on your body and then not have him stop after the first awful attempt?

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Do you think Peyton Stearns' father is a big football fan and really wanted a boy? Ohio is not far from Indiana--he easily could have been a Colts fan.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Keys defeated Pegula so fast (1 and 3) that I missed it. It being the later of the two morning matches, I thought I would switch over after Vondrousova's rather laborious three set win, but it was already over. Madison's hat is now definitely in the ring.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Five Americans in the quarterfinals and they are all very likable people as is Tommy Paul who I thought would be there. I could root for any of them.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I can't think of any player who is both exciting and great as Alcaraz is. He is so athletic and creative.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rublev outguns Draper in four sets. Andrey was really on and Jack played well, too, but needs work on his return game. On the evidence of today, Rublev looks like a serious threat to go beyond the quarterfinals for the first time in a Slam.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
.....and Zheng is off to a hell of a start, 4-1 with two service breaks in like 15 minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad