Tennis: US Open 2023

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Felix is so disappointing. There is no killer instinct and no big weapon.
It's hard to watch. His game could always be a bit mechanical, but he's not even that right now. Little variety but without consistency. Can't rely on his serve. It's bad.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'd advise Felix to get a new coach. If he had a game plan tonight, I don't know what it was. At this stage, a new coach might be only a partial solution, but it might lead to a fresher perspective and better things.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Korda out in five to Fucsovics; Milos out in three to Tsitispas; and, more surprisingly, Musetti out to #171 ranked Frenchmen Titouan Droguet in five sets.

Last edited:

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Fun first day for me, humid, but the sun was rarely out.

Started at Wolf, he’s just your vintage US ball basher, I bailed at 2 sets down and double break in the third, was stunned he came all the way back, but still came up short in the end. Zheng, nice serve, not a terrible game overall, but definitely someone that gets nervous.

Watched end of Watanuki and Mannarino, this was a bad matchup for Watanuki. He loves going for broke, and that plays right into Adrian’s hands who can lull you to sleep, and has no problem waiting for you to make the error.

Watched first set of Korda, he’s just so blah. Credit to Fucsovics, seemed like it was a never ending match, and Korda again can’t close.

Tommy Paul was probably best player I saw today on the men’s side, he does a great job just never getting too high or low. I bailed on it after two sets, was surprised to see he lost a third set.

Young player that I knew nothing about, and was impressed with was 17 year old Jakub Mensik, really great all around game for his age, great win for him.

Didn’t see much women’s stuff until end of the day, watched pretty much all of Mertens and Bjorklund, was a fun one. Bjorklund probably won’t be able to sleep tonight after losing three match points, but she didn’t give them away, Elise had ice water in her veins saving those, and in the final set tiebreaker, the difference in ranking comes out. Shapo was out supporting Bjorklund, he looked more nervous watching then he probably ever has when playing. Always stayed positive for his fiancé though pumping her up.

Ended the night watching the younger Andreeva, she’s got all the tools, just some unreal shot making from her, good serve. Anything can happen, but she has all the makings of a future GS champ. However, like any 16 year old in life, her emotions can get the best of her. There were points where she’s just banging her hand against her head really hard. I just hope she had a good support team around her, could see her being overwhelmed on Ashe Wednesday night.

Random non match thought, just too many people on the grounds, it was impossible to get into FAA/McDonald. It was full for the entirety of Jenny Brady just so people could have seats for it.

Back on Thursday, hopefully rain isn’t bad next two days.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Tsitsipas looked great against Raonic. Returning very well on the backhand side even, rushing Raonic, taking advantage of Milos' less than gazelle-like movement, skittering all over the court to hit winners, Tsitsipas looked better than he has at any point in the last two years or so. More Badosa and less father, maybe.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Korda out in five to Fucsovics; Milos out in three to Tsitispas; and, more surprisingly, Musetti out to #171 ranked Frenchmen Titouan Droguet in five sets.
These young guys are continuously coming up short, Rune in addition.

Outside of The Big 2 and Medvedev (on hard courts), I don't know who is any good any more. I'd love to see a talent/personality like Tiafoe rise up but you never know what you're getting from him. Sinner too has the talent but the mental doesn't seem to be there yet.
Tsitsipas looked good againt Raonic so maybe him, hopefully. I'd like to see somebody challenge Djokovic before the final. Hurkacz is interesting if his ground game continues to look as good as it did against Alcaraz in Cincinnati.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Who is more disappointing, FAA or Korda?

Both need to do some searching for why they can’t convert their gifts for the game to being the level of Sinner or Rune (won’t even bring up Alcaraz) because those dudes don’t have more natural gifts for the game.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I had to look up the guy Medvedev is playing in round 1, on a PR, 34 years old, and has played 3 matches this year.

Losing 6-2 6-0
Losing 6-2 6-2
Losing 6-1 6-1

Protected ranking is stupid sometimes when players are just gaming the system to get checks.
My god, who is this guy? 6-1, 3-love at present for Daniil so far. I've seen the last five games, and I started to seriously wonder whether my 18-year-old self could have beaten this guy, at least the way he is playing now. I'm not delusional; I don't go around thinking, oh, I could take a game from Carballes Baena or somebody. But this guy--jesus, he is beyond awful. I feel for the humiliation he must be going through--the end cannot come too soon. This is like watching somebody else's nightmare.

For the record: final score 6-1, 6-1, 6-love.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17futurecap

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Jabeur is straight sets but Osorio really made her work for it, 5 and 6. I would say Ons' confidence level isn't quite what it needs to be yet.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
My god, who is this guy? 6-1, 3-love at present for Daniil so far. I've seen the last five games, and I started to seriously wonder whether my 18-year-old self could have beaten this guy, at least the way he is playing now. I'm not delusional; I don't go around thinking, oh, I could take a game from Carballes Baena or somebody. But this guy--jesus, he is beyond awful. I feel for the humiliation he must be going through--the end cannot come too soon. This is like watching somebody else's nightmare.

ESPN said Med would be going right back to the practice courts for a harder workout, harsh, but true.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Leylah suffers another typically heart-breaking loss, this time to Alexandrova, 6-7, 7-5, 4-6. It had all the features of a Fernandez wrenching loss--inability to take control of games and sets when the opportunities arose, and there were many of them; questionable shot selection and tactics on key points; inconsistency after establishing a lead; and a first serve that is never really up to the task of bailing her out of trouble when she needs it. She's a gamer with a big heart, but sometimes she is her own worst enemy.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Leylah suffers another typically heart-breaking loss, this time to Alexandrova, 6-7, 7-5, 4-6. It had all the features of a Fernandez wrenching loss--inability to take control of games and sets when the opportunities arose, and there were many of them; questionable shot selection and tactics on key points; inconsistency after establishing a lead; and a first serve that is never really up to the task of bailing her out of trouble when she needs it. She's a gamer with a big heart, but sometimes she is her own worst enemy.
Felix should take note of Leylah's fight.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Amongst the small pleasures of life I'll never get bored of, but that I sadly don't have much longer for : Watching Stanislav Wawrinka play tennis.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Banner day from the USTA putting that guy Med played on Ashe, and now Venus in the night session.

Enough with the wildcards for Venus, she’s cooked. Let her get in on her ranking.

Reactions: Elvis P and MsMeow

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Listening to the announcers talk about what Venus has to do to get into a match where she's getting totally smoked is hilarious. She is 43 years old and is playing like a 43 year old. Standing closer to the baseline is not going to help her win.

Reactions: Elvis P and kihei

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Not that he was going to win, but what a shame for Koepfer to twist your ankle two minutes into the match.

He’s a perfectly fine top 100 player that would have won some games in each set tonight.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Amongst the small pleasures of life I'll never get bored of, but that I sadly don't have much longer for : Watching Stanislav Wawrinka play tennis.
...or Monfils either who just closed out a highly entertaining and well played four set win over Daniel. Daniel always seems so non-threatening but he can absorb pace and redirect the ball as good as anyone. Love to see Gael make a run here.

Reactions: Elvis P

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Short night for Carlos as Koepfer retires after five games of the second set.

Reactions: Elvis P

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Jabeur is straight sets but Osorio really made her work for it, 5 and 6. I would say Ons' confidence level isn't quite what it needs to be yet.
She was playing with a virus. Kind of a mini miracle that she was able to pull that off in straights considering the circumstance.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Impressive two matches for Borna Gojo after coming through qualies.

Jeez, ice water in her veins again from Mertens, saving multiple match points again to win.

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The pretender Tsitsipas is out. He feels like the least threatening top 6/7 seed every time these slams take place. There’s never any real chance he’ll beat the big guns when it matters, and he’s also a threat to get knocked out early occasionally. He games the rankings by winning a million meaningless matches during the year, and can’t win big matches against the best players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad