Tennis: US Open 2023

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Djokovic is epic. What he's doing at this age is unprecedented not only in tennis but in all of sports, it's hard to put into words really.
I do think he was fortunate to not draw Alcaraz and he had a really easy draw headed into the finals but what can you say, he's the best of all time and he still has plenty of gas left in the tank so the winning isn't stopping here.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
GOAT. No questions about it otherwise you're just in denial (and that's ok too).

I'd like to see #25 and anything after that is just gravy. Hopefully, he will play at AO in 2025 as I'm planning to attend that.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Another fairly mind-boggling statistic in which Djokovic is in a class by himself: Nole has now won 12 Grand Slam titles since turning 30 years of age, Serena won 10 and Rafa 8, with Federer, Laver and Rosewall each winning four.

Reactions: Primary Assist

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Federer will always be my favorite, but Joker is the best. One of the rare athletes who excels at playing both the hero and the villain

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
GOAT. No questions about it otherwise you're just in denial (and that's ok too).

I'd like to see #25 and anything after that is just gravy. Hopefully, he will play at AO in 2025 as I'm planning to attend that.
There really hasn't been any question about it since Nole tied Rafa in GS titles. But now the difference is emphatic.

Updated best reasons why Nole is the GOAT. With one noted exception, these are all stand alone records, many by a wide margin:

24 Grand Slam titles
390 weeks at #1
Highest career win percentage: 83.6%
Triple career Grand Slam winner
39 masters level titles (i.e. 1000 level titles)
Only player to win all nine 1000-level titles and he not only has done it twice, he is one win (Monte Carlo) away from doing it three times
Career winning record over both Nadal and Federer
7 year-end #1 ranking
12 different years ranked #1 at some point
Most GS titles after 30 years of age: 12
Most GS finals: 36
Has made the finals of each Grand Slam tournament at least 6 times
Minimum 88 match wins in all four Grand Slams
ATP finals champion: 6 times (tied with Roger)
Most wins against top ten players: 251
15 straight finals in one season, 2015
Most #1 ranking points ever accumulated: 16,950 (2015)
Youngest player to reach all Four Grand Slam semifinals
Oldest winner of two Grand Slams (French and US): 36

Last edited:

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
There really hasn't been any question about it since Nole tied Rafa in GS titles. But now the difference is emphatic.

Updated best reasons why Nole is the GOAT. With one noted exception, these are all stand alone records, many by a wide margin:

24 Grand Slam titles
390 weeks at #1
Highest career win percentage: 83.6%
Triple career Grand Slam winner
39 masters level titles (i.e. 1000 level titles)
Only player to win all nine 1000-level titles and he not only has done it twice, he is one win (Monte Carlo) away from doing it three times
Career winning record over both Nadal and Federer
7 year-end #1 ranking
12 different years ranked #1 at some point
Most GS titles after 30 years of age: 12
Most GS finals: 36
Has made the finals of each Grand Slam tournament at least 6 times
Minimum 88 match wins in all four Grand Slams
ATP finals champion: 6 times (tied with Roger)
Most wins against top ten players: 251
15 straight finals in one season, 2015
Most #1 ranking points ever accumulated: 16,950 (2015)
Youngest player to reach all Four Grand Slam semifinals
Oldest winner of two Grand Slams (French and US): 36

When Rafa broke the record there was a serious amount of gushing in news articles calling him the greatest of all time.

It all seemed a bit silly to me considering Nole was still a force and most likely to overtake Rafa in Grand slam totals. Grand slams are not the only measurement of course. But your post actually emphasises that even if Nole had somehow finished one slam behind Rafa, I would still consider Nole the greatest of all time.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
When Rafa broke the record there was a serious amount of gushing in news articles calling him the greatest of all time.

It all seemed a bit silly to me considering Nole was still a force and most likely to overtake Rafa in Grand slam totals. Grand slams are not the only measurement of course. But your post actually emphasises that even if Nole had somehow finished one slam behind Rafa, I would still consider Nole the greatest of all time.
I mean, same thing... Roger was the GOAT when he reached 14. With Novak, they keep saying "one more", the bias in the media is very apparent. I found it funny how Margaret Court's titles have popped up so many times when it comes to what Novak is doing. It was never a factor when declaring Roger or Rafa as "GOAT".

Reactions: I am not exposed

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
So we pumping the brakes on the "Carlitos eras has started!" rhetoric ? lol
Told ya'll

btw, I'm a Rafa and Carlitos fan, not a Nole fan at all actually. But at this point, he's the goat.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I mean, same thing... Roger was the GOAT when he reached 14. With Novak, they keep saying "one more", the bias in the media is very apparent. I found it funny how Margaret Court titles have popped up so many times when it comes to what Novak is doing. It was never a factor when declaring Roger or Rafa as "GOAT".

Yes, I've noticed that as well. You didn't hear a peep from the media about Margaret Court's record when Roger and Rafa were breaking records. Now I can't escape it when reading about Nole.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto

I actually think that his being one Monte Carlo championship short of winning all the nine 1000-level tournaments three times when no one else has done it once is more impressive than his 24 Grand Slam titles, which obviously is a monumentally impressive feat.

Reactions: Filppula

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad