Tennis: US Open 2021

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I'm so happy.

I lied when I said I'd be happy as long as it was a good match, so so happy Medvedev won. The Djoker is human after all. But Medvedev won this match much more than Novak lost it, he just had no answers.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Personally I'm glad Medvedev won but I think Novak has handled himself very well through all this. The pressure had to be immense. Especially if he kept seeing Laver in the stands.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Novak has a lot of class. Very respectful individual.

Federer and nadal laid a benchmark of off court class that Novak has followed, although it didn't come to him right away.

Honestly though, I wouldn't mind a villain near the top..... Maybe the Greek toilet can fill that void.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I kinda feel bad now to see Novak holding back tears.

Wouldn't be surprised for this to fuel him and get the calendar slam next year lol

As we've seen these last couple of weeks this is hard. There's a reason nobody's done it since 1969 (spare me the whole Aussie Open was incidental in the '70's and '80's argument, it's still a good thirty years and Joker was the only male that got the first three at all). If Nadal's upright next summer he's still the favorite at the French, being able to beat him at Paris really set Joker up nicely but I'm not sure he gets that repeat next year.

Maybe he didn't help himself going for the Olympic gold as well, but whatever the case he clearly wasn't all there - dropping sets to people he wouldn't normally drop sets to. It shows his greatness he was able to bull his way to to the Final anyway, but it showed Medvedev's mettle that he put the clamps down with the whole world watching and never let Joker up. Plus he was dominant throughout the whole tournament - only lost one set total.

I was kinda sorta hoping for Djoker to win before the match but once Medvedev lost his serve in the third set because of those idiots screaming to try to get him off his game I really didn't want him to blow it at that point.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I kinda feel bad now to see Novak holding back tears.

Wouldn't be surprised for this to fuel him and get the calendar slam next year lol
Don't like the odds at all. This is something that happens, like, every 50 years, plus the Next Gen will be a year older (and so will Novak) and then you got all those hotshot kids coming up and maybe Thiem coming back. Plus, you have whatever psychological damage that will accrue from coming this close, giving it your absolute all, and failing. He'll get 21 next year, but that is as much as I would ask.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Federer and nadal laid a benchmark of off court class that Novak has followed, although it didn't come to him right away.

Honestly though, I wouldn't mind a villain near the top..... Maybe the Greek toilet can fill that void.
Oh, I think Zverev has inherited that role big time. Of course, no reason that we can't have two. But, damn, it has been a long time. McEnroe???

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I think it is just kind of satisfying and fun to see Daniil get his first GS title. It was a treat realizing two or three years ago, that, geez, he really is the best of the Next Gen. I have been waiting for him to win a Slam ever since. Now that is taken care of.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I think it is just kind of satisfying and fun to see Daniil get his first GS title. It was a treat realizing two or three years ago, that, geez, he really is the best of the Next Gen. I have been waiting for him to win a Slam ever since. Now that is taken care of.
Same. He became my favourite player to watch after the way he attacked and then later got the New York crowd to love him all in one tournament. The bullshit Russian is the best.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Oh, I think Zverev has inherited that role big time. Of course, no reason that we can't have two. But, damn, it has been a long time. McEnroe???

McEnEnroe behaved badly on the court, but off the court he was pretty classy. No matter how the match went he always stopped to give an interview afterwards and he was gracious to his opponents (as best as I can recall). Connors was the real jerk. One of the most unlikeable athletes I’ve ever seen in any sport.

Reactions: MsMeow and kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The US Open was Emma Raducanu's fifth professional tournament at the WTA level, all this year.

Nottingham: (Wimbledon warm-up): Lost in first round to Harriet Dart # 144
Wimbledon (Emma ranked # 338): Round of 16 (retired: nerves)--Lost to Ajla Tomljanovic # 50
Silicon Valley: Lost in first round to Shuai Zhang # 49
Chicago: Lost in finals to Clara Tauson #70
US Open: won Championship

Career record (counting all WTA tournaments participated in) : 13-4 (career non-Grand Slam record: 4-3)

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Another record for Nole coming up: He will be ranked #1 at the end of the year for the 7th time, breaking a tie with Pete Sampras in the process.

Reactions: Beau Knows

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Did anyone catch medevev's comments about his on court celebration after the final point?

I think he may have made a Fifa 21 reference, lol.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Fame travels awfully fast these days:

emma-raducanu-1-1631602867.jpg

Emma Raducanu at the Met Gala.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad