Tennis: US Open 2021

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
https://www.usopen.org/index.html

Qualifying starts this week. There was no qualifying last year, but back this time.

History awaits Djokovic...he has a chance to win all 4 Grand Slams in a calendar year AND become the all time leader in slams with 21. Currently Djokovic, Federer and Nadal are all tied with 20. Thiem, the defending champ is out along with Nadal and Federer.

Osaka is a defending champ on the Women's side but who knows where her head is. Barty looking strong right now, might be my pick.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Marino cruises through her first round of qualifying.

Polansky up a little later.

Schnur and Diez not playing today.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Looks like a four horse race on the men's side: Djokovic, Medvedev, Zverev, and Tsitsipas with Barty a clear favourite on the women's side despite the amazing volitility among the seeded women at majors lately.

Reactions: CupofOil and Tuggy

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It's like that entire generation of superstars is crashing out at once.

About 5 years later than we thought they would. I still think Nadal has some gas left in the tank though.

On another note, I haven't seen much of him until now but as far as future stars are concerned, look out for Carlos Alcaraz. He's only 18 but he has a lot of weapons, pretty decent serve (has some kick to it), power from both sides and can move very well plus he has some flair to his game which is much needed in tennis right now. Of course it'll all come down to the mental game as is always does in tennis but this kid has that "It" factor from a skill standpoint.

Anyway, as @kihei pointed out, there seems to be a bit of separation with a top tier of favorites in the U.S. Open with Djokovic, Medvedev, Zverev and Tsitipas although I'd still put Djokovic at the top of the list despite him not playing any of the warm up tournaments with Medvedev slightly below him and the other two slightly below Medvedev. Would like to see a surprise this year but I don't see anybody outside of those 4 who is a real threat.

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei and Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Pretty even draws on the men's side; maybe a tad softer for Medvedev than Djokovic:

Nole

Qualifier
Struff
Nishikori/Goffin
Karatzev
Hurkacz/Berrettini
Zverev/PCB/Opelka/Sinner
Tsitsipas/Medvedev

Daniil

Gasquet
Koepfer
Cilic
Dimitrov
Ruud
Tsitsipas/Rublev
Nole/Zverev

Quarters

Nole/Hurkacz
Zverev/PCB

Tsitsipas/Rublev
Medvedev/Ruud

Semis

Nole/PCB
Medvedev/Tsitsipas

Final

Medvedev over Nole

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuggy

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Damn. Hard to root for Tsitsipas, Djokovic and Zverev these days.

Goooo Medvedev??

Actually... go Sinner!

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Reactions: PanniniClaus

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
All the injuries and Novak going for the slam make should make for a fascinating tournament.

If Djokovic crumbles under the pressure someone new could break out with their first slam (I'd love to see it be Medvedev) or we see him pull off the impossible and clinch the GOAT title.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
All the injuries and Novak going for the slam make should make for a fascinating tournament.

If Djokovic crumbles under the pressure someone new could break out with their first slam (I'd love to see it be Medvedev) or we see him pull off the impossible and clinch the GOAT title.
I'm hoping for Medvedev as well.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Great for Marino. Watching her play this week, I kept wondering why she wasn't in the top 50 and then she would shank an easy putaway three feet wide or slam a soft second serve into the middle of the net. Hope she is "on" enough to win a round or two, though. She deserves a reward for her play lately.

Reactions: MsMeow and Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Man, Felix is lucky to get to a breaker in the third set against this Russian career-long tomato can. In two tiebreakers, FAA has lost one point total. But I wouldn't say the match is exactly in the bag yet.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rublev is straight sets of Karlovic who is not the player he once was. Still, that's gotta be a bit of a real confidence builder for Rublev early in the tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad