Tennis: US Open 2021

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Don't get me wrong, Medvedev is playing great but the usual Djokovic intensity isn't close to being where it usually is. I don't know if it's heavy legs from the grinds of the previous matches or nerves due to the gravity of the moment but he just doesn't seem like himself in the first 2 sets.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Medvedev sure felt almost no pressure in the first two sets, just played his strategically sophisticated game. Now he has two sets to waste. Hard to know what Novak can do to come back in this thing, but he is not the greatest player in history for nothing.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Don't get me wrong, Medvedev is playing great but the usual Djokovic intensity isn't close to being where it usually is. I don't know if it's heavy legs from the grinds of the previous matches or nerves due to the gravity of the moment but he just doesn't seem like himself in the first 2 sets.
Or Medvedev has prevented him from doing what he usually does. Credit to his opponent at least.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I give Medvedev the credit for that. He is just sailing along, playing his game and Nole hasn't found any way to make a significant dent.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Absolutely classic Medvedev and now the match is his to win.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

No, the haters are right, he’s just getting owned by the best hard court player in the world. :sarcasm:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
A couple years ago, medvedev took nadal to the limit in this final. I figured at that point that medvedev was on the cusp of a title once fed, nadal, and Novak subsided.

I'm not counting Novak out just yet but I'm not surprised to see medevev in this spot right now either.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
This isn't happening by chance or because Nole is having an off day. This is happening because Medvedev is relentlessly keeping on the pressure.

Last edited:
Reactions: AhosDatsyukian

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Medvedev is just so damn solid. Love watching this kid play, hope he avoids injuries and sticks around a long time. Djokovic is an incredible player and will still almost certainly wind up with the most grand slams but seems a calendar year grand slam isn't in his future.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
This is happening by chance or because Nole is having an off day. This is happening because Medvedev is relentlessly keeping on the pressure.

I think it's a bit of both. This is an usually bad match from Djokovic, but Medvedev certainly has a lot to do with it.

Reactions: Oilhawks

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
This is a bit crazy and not at all what I was expecting. Daniil is toying with him.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Or Medvedev has prevented him from doing what he usually does. Credit to his opponent at least.

For sure but Novak is definitely off a bit, there's no doubting that. There's no way a fresh and focused Djokovic goes down this meekly to anybody.
A poster mentioned it a few pages back that he'd be tired in this match and that Medvedev would pounce on that. I basically dismissed that opinion and I was very wrong.

With that said, Medvedev is a hell of a player and definitely earned what he's about to get.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Jeez, Medvedev really tightened up in that service game. The crowd certainly didn't help matters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad