Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Connor Green 7 IP complete game shutout, 7 K, 4 hits, 2 walks

That's really good to see the K's come back. I''m still not sold on his upside but it's definitely a positive step that he generated a lot of ground balls and strikeouts.

I still wouldn't hesitate to move him for a shut down lefty like Will Smith though (or in a package for a good starter with control).

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Look at Benoit's norms for ERA+. The three years previous were 158, 228, 207. I'm going to say this small 2016 sample size is not indicative of some steep decline, all completely out of the blue.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
So... Will Benoit be available to pitch tomorrow? :laugh: Will probably need him! Seriously though, low risk swap to get rid of Storen.

Hopefully the Padres are completely deflated for tomorrow afternoon's game and the Jays can get the sweep. And hopefully this win really gets the team going! The offense needs to bust out of this slump they're in.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
It's as if you're looked at like you're a fool for thinking a 39 year old at the end of his career might be done. It's even funnier when you consider they dealt Drew Storen for the guy. That should tell you how he's been pitching. But no no, you gotta have those pom-poms out and love everything the team does. How dare anyone have realistic expectations. :laugh:

They made a trade that could help them and has virtually no downside. What is there to be negative about?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Hopefully Benoit can benefit from a change of scenery and can perform well in low leverage situations to start with.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I'm either going to be a genius or wrong, but I'm predicting the Jays go on a huge streak after this win. That's the kind of win that bands the boys together and give that belief that you're never down regardless of the circumstances.

This team is fun.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
They made a trade that could help them and has virtually no downside. What is there to be negative about?

Did you not bother reading what I was responding to? Everyone has the pom poms out and is convinced that this will work out. I'm simply stating it's unrealistic to expect Benoit to turn it around all of a sudden. Not negative, realistic.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I don't mind the Benoit deal at all. Storen wasn't working, so try someone else. At worst, Benoit is as bad as Storen was.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Did you not bother reading what I was responding to? Everyone has the pom poms out and is convinced that this will work out. I'm simply stating it's unrealistic to expect Benoit to turn it around all of a sudden. Not negative, realistic.

No, people believe he could be another Grilli type arm. You're saying not to believe it. It's not that it will work out, it's that it can. Just like it could work out for the Mariners as well.

This is a classic challenge trade. Both teams could remain with the same suckage, one could come out on top, both could end up being happy.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
No, people believe he could be another Grilli type arm. You're saying not to believe it. It's not that it will work out, it's that it can. Just like it could work out for the Mariners as well.

This is a classic challenge trade. Both teams could remain with the same suckage, one could come out on top, both could end up being happy.

It's really just a matter of trying something new. At worst, Benoit is as ****** as Storen was. Big woop if that happens.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
People were worried about Storen when we acquired him,some of these same people don't have the same concerns with Benoit.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
So after that beast performance I think Travis may have pushed me towards his side for buying his jersey.

He countered Sanchez and his solid outing the other day, so I'm really stumped now.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
It's really just a matter of trying something new. At worst, Benoit is as ****** as Storen was. Big woop if that happens.

No its not just a big whoop, this management group is trying to patch together our bullpen with duct tape an chewing gum. We only have a few more days until the trade deadline and if it doesn't work out we're ****ed.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
No its not just a big whoop, this management group is trying to patch together our bullpen with duct tape an chewing gum. We only have a few more days until the trade deadline and if it doesn't work out we're ****ed.

You can start freaking out when the deadline is over. Now is not the time for it.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I'm a Toronto sports fan. It is always freaking out time.

Haha, fair enough man.

But the Jays management even said themselves after the Upton deal that pitching help is the main focus. They know it's an issue and are willing to address it.

All depends on the market now and until the deadline is passed, then I'll choose whether to freak out or not.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
Does Marcus remind anyone else of Brett Lawrie? Smallish dude, tons of gumption but a little too high strung? Hot start, huge expectations, hopefully he can put it together down the stretch with a bit more zip to his pitches.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site

you know what most successful bullpens have in common? they are patched together with duct tape and chewing gum. Grilli was acquired for a role of duck tape and Biagini was picked up for a box of hubba bubba.

RP are so unpredictable outside of the very elite arms. Nobody really knows what Benoit will do in Toronto. Sometimes you throw **** against the wall and it sticks.

You also need to relax since the trade deadline isn't over and there's plenty of bullpen arms on the market.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Does Marcus remind anyone else of Brett Lawrie? Smallish dude, tons of gumption but a little too high strung? Hot start, huge expectations, hopefully he can put it together down the stretch with a bit more zip to his pitches.

I thought he was great tonight. He made one mistake that im sure he's love to have back but had some good swing and miss action going.

I still view this as a positive sign. The Oakland start was the only start where he looked bad. He's been spinning the ball well otherwise and generating a lot of ground balls.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada

That's a terrible attitude and not even rational. The bullpen needs a little help, but with Sanchez and Osuna as the set up man and closer and Grilli and Cecil as the right and left handed middle men, they really only need 1 or 2 more and Benoit can't do worse than Storen. The real worry is the need for another starter once Sanchez is gone, to fill a spot which is now a Cy Young contender is hard and there aren't many options, not too many teams are going to give up their ace for prospects, Sale is the only one that comes to mind, but I think with him there comes a lot of baggage.

Road Rage

May 21, 2010
I don't know for Stroman. I still think that it's just a " Sophomore Slump " and next year everything will be all right for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad