Injury Report: Updates in Post #1: Crosby (jaw) | Martin (hand) 4-6 weeks | Letang (toe) 1 week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sutter16

Aug 17, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
I'm one of the most optimistic people here as far as a return date for Sid, and I think that's pushing him a little too much :laugh:

But really, April 17 is a perfect return date. Gives him 2 and a half weeks off, the team is coming off a 3 day break, it's a big home game against one of the top teams in the East, and he'll still get to play 6 more regular season games.

Yeah April 17th is when I see Sid coming back too.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
All depends on when he is cleared and how much pain he can play through in his mouth. I'd say being an inpatient for oral surgery isn't a good sign but we are talking about a jaw fracture.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Sarcasm? Hospitals are sanitary soul sucking wormholes of despair, and I question whether some of them are even all that sanitary. I don't think it's a bad sign that Sid is still in there but I wouldn't be surprised if he's tying bedsheets together and planning to escape out a window.

"Hospitals are sanitary". :laugh: Not sure where he got that one. Every door you touch, every everything is infected with something. Most ORs and certain other areas are sanitary but that's about as far as I'd take it. The halls, rooms, visiting areas are virulent pits of doom.

Let me introduce the world to my friend MRSA, found most commonly where? In hospitals and health clinics (gyms and lockerooms are also common hiding places).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methicillin-resistant_Staphylococcus_aureus

It's ebola for the 1st world.

Last edited:

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
i dont have to, as i stated i see it everyday i go to work. and bottom line these patients on these liquid diets have trouble maintaining their weight (liquid diets/feeding tubes etc etc). go into that nursing home and im sure you'll see while patients may be getting their nutrients they have trouble maintain weight.
plus its very difficult to maintain that caloric intake with just liquids?

back on topic with sid, it wont matter much cause his jaw isnt being wired shut. so he'll be able to eat softer foods from the start. i was more worried about it if he had to have it wired for a few weeks

Actually people are kept alive for years on feeding tubes, and maintain a stable weight and normal labs. The problem is, these people are usually bed-ridden, so the inactivity turns their muscle into fat. But I've had patients for years that consumed nothing but Ensure or Boost, and they were in perfect health.

The difference between an elderly patient, who probably needs 4-5 cans of Boost a day to meet their caloric needs, and Sid is, Sid would have to drink about 10-15 cans a day to meet his needs. Especially if he's still working out during recovery. So yeah, I would expect him to lose some weight. But since he should be able to eat soft foods, he should be ok. Since he has a fracture, his calorie and protein needs will be even higher, so the Dietitian will figure that out and make sure he's meeting his needs.

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
Actually people are kept alive for years on feeding tubes, and maintain a stable weight and normal labs. The problem is, these people are usually bed-ridden, so the inactivity turns their muscle into fat. But I've had patients for years that consumed nothing but Ensure or Boost, and they were in perfect health.

The difference between an elderly patient, who probably needs 4-5 cans of Boost a day to meet their caloric needs, and Sid is, Sid would have to drink about 10-15 cans a day to meet his needs. Especially if he's still working out during recovery. So yeah, I would expect him to lose some weight. But since he should be able to eat soft foods, he should be ok. Since he has a fracture, his calorie and protein needs will be even higher, so the Dietitian will figure that out and make sure he's meeting his needs.

People grossly underestimate just how much they snack. When you suddenly move to a liquid diet and are no longer snacking, it should be pretty obvious that you'll lose weight if you don't also account for those missed calories.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
People grossly underestimate just how much they snack. When you suddenly move to a liquid diet and are no longer snacking, it should be pretty obvious that you'll lose weight if you don't also account for those missed calories.

Very true

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
"Hospitals are sanitary". :laugh: Not sure where he got that one. Every door you touch, every everything is infected with something. Most ORs and certain other areas are sanitary but that's about as far as I'd take it. The halls, rooms, visiting areas are virulent pits of doom.

Let me introduce the world to my friend MRSA, found most commonly where? In hospitals and health clinics (gyms and lockerooms are also common hiding places).

C-Diff as well. We're convinced that being in the hospital is actually what killed my grandfather.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA

Sure they are. They have hand sanitizing dispensers around every corner. ;)

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Dr_Nick_Prescribing_280.jpg

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
The difference between an elderly patient, who probably needs 4-5 cans of Boost a day to meet their caloric needs, and Sid is, Sid would have to drink about 10-15 cans a day to meet his needs. .

correct, and its likely the reason i personally lost weight when on a liquid diet. plus you just get tired of constantly drinking them along with feeling bloated

Last edited:

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
C-Diff as well. We're convinced that being in the hospital is actually what killed my grandfather.
C-Diff is brutal. It can be hard to tell if it's the hospitalization itself that caused it or a reaction to the antibiotics though.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

On Vinyl

Oh Danny Boy
Jul 5, 2010
IAVDBTR
This looks promising: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories...681738/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

So he should be able to play without protection in 3-4 weeks? I would think that means that he could play with protection even sooner.

By the time Sid's career is over, he's going to be half robot.

Sounding like this injury isn't as bad as some of us had originally feared. This is great news!

Also, from the article:
Like Mr. Roethlisberger before him, Mr. Crosby will have to be on a soft-food diet -- mashed potatoes, scrambled eggs, high-protein and high-carbohydrate shakes and other foods -- for three to four weeks to help ensure that there is no movement of the fractured bones. If he follows the right diet, he should be able to keep his weight on.

Hope Martin can cook with a broken hand!

Get To Our Game

May 31, 2008
Pittsburgh
From that article:

Dr. Dattilo, who has done hundreds of similar "plating" surgeries like Mr. Crosby's, said Mr. Crosby could be back on the ice doing moderate workouts early this week.

But he would not advise end-to-end skating for a few days while swelling from both the puck and surgery heals.
If all goes well in three to four weeks, Dr. Dattilo said, Mr. Crosby won't even necessarily need special headgear to protect his jaw "because his jaw will be just as strong as before, and probably stronger because it will be metal-reinforced."

Heck, why stop at the jaw? Put him under a little longer and give him titanium everywhere. Somebody mentioned adamantium earlier, I like that idea too.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
This looks promising: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories...681738/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

So he should be able to play without protection in 3-4 weeks? I would think that means that he could play with protection even sooner.

By the time Sid's career is over, he's going to be half robot.

This is awesome.

Dr. Kellman said he repaired a Syracuse Crunch minor league hockey player's jaw using plates a couple of years ago, and the player was back on the ice a day later wearing a special modified helmet.

Surgeons typically can do the surgery from inside the mouth, cutting through the mucous membrane to get to the bone. The membrane quickly heals and the thin metal is almost unnoticeable within a few weeks.

The goal -- as it is with wiring the jaw shut -- is to get "rigid fixation" of the jaw. It will heal better and more quickly if the fractured jaw bone does not move at all, particularly during the first few weeks.

Improper alignment, or even micro-movements during healing, can cause a variety of problems down the road, including temporal mandibular joint, or TMJ issues, that can cause pain, earaches and headaches, Dr. Kellman said.

How soon a hockey player gets back on the ice and tries to compete is based on "choices that people make," Dr. Kellman said. "How much risk are they willing to take?"

Dr. Dattilo, who has done hundreds of similar "plating" surgeries like Mr. Crosby's, said Mr. Crosby could be back on the ice doing moderate workouts early this week.

It really sounds as if our proposed April 17th return can happen.

I also don't know why, but referring to him as "Mr. Crosby" makes me laugh.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The Pens are slowly turning Crosby into a cyborg. If his eyes start to glow red during interviews, I'm officially freaked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad