Injury Report: Updates In 1st Post | Letang Out vs CBJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

ZAR and Malkin skating before practice for those with no load tweets.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm not a fan of the lack of discipline the team has shown this season. I much preferred the previous seasons when they played with heart but didn't engage in any bull****.

Geno was head first in on a 180 with the bull**** during the cup years. Fighting Wheeler. Other scraps. Hell, he probably was our de facto tough guy. He never got out of control, like the Bylsma years (it was more like semi restrained trouble making moments, a la Horny), but let's not pretend that he didn't fight or exchange slaps.

Because it’s Malkin...

I get they he is emotional, but he has to be better than that and let that crap roll of his back. Injuring himself in a pointless fight is not good, not good at all.

This reminds me of the stupid 'why did Malkin fight Bergeron in the playoffs' idiocy. He could've gotten injured. He took himself out of the game. And if he'd walked away when Stamkos dropped, you'd have whined when the refs held him being a chicken against him. But that's the beauty of what you do, isn't it?

It was Stamkos. Stamkos wanna fight, Geno's gotta go....

Yeah, kind of surprised at @BHD's take here. I mean, you never want the injury to happen, but there are times even stars gotta go (like Geno did during the cup years in 'meaningless fights'). @BHD, were you upset when Geno fought Wheeler during the 2016-2017 regular season?

Reactions: BillPrep

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yeah, kind of surprised at @BHD's take here. I mean, you never want the injury to happen, but there are times even stars gotta go (like Geno did during the cup years in 'meaningless fights'). @BHD, were you upset when Geno fought Wheeler during the 2016-2017 regular season?

I have no issue with Geno fighting Stamkos there, but it certainly wasn't necessary. Pens were winning, Lightning aren't in division. I guess there are always message sendings during a season and I like when Geno is passionate. Just hope that isn't the cause of the injury.

Reactions: KIRK

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Wasn’t the wheeler fight some stupid code bullshit? The vast majority of fights are stupid and the ones that actually might do something shouldn’t happen either. Stamkos was stupidly trying to fire his team up, Malkin stupidly obliged and is now hurt because of it. Great, the passion has him missing time because of a stupid fight.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Wasn’t the wheeler fight some stupid code bull****? The vast majority of fights are stupid and the ones that actually might do something shouldn’t happen either. Stamkos was stupidly trying to fire his team up, Malkin stupidly obliged and is now hurt because of it. Great, the passion has him missing time because of a stupid fight.
maybe a few day's off will do him good in the long run.

Reactions: Turin and KIRK

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
maybe a few day's off will do him good in the long run.

Maybe, but he’s getting time off right after an 8 day break and playing 2 games. He’s getting time off after an extended struggle and having a great game.

It’s crazy to me that players are expected to play all 82 games in a meat grinder of a league only to have to play 16-28 more games in the Meat Grinder in a best case scenario. Even a 42 year old Cullen doesn’t seem to have a planned lighter load.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Wasn’t the wheeler fight some stupid code bull****? The vast majority of fights are stupid and the ones that actually might do something shouldn’t happen either. Stamkos was stupidly trying to fire his team up, Malkin stupidly obliged and is now hurt because of it. Great, the passion has him missing time because of a stupid fight.

A little yeah on Wheeler. Malkin had leveled him with a headshot in the prior meeting, Wheeler took exception and wanted revenge the next game, he offered a fight pretty much the first time the two of them were on the ice (at a face off) and Malkin said "Game on". If anything that one took the needle out of the evening.

Maybe, but he’s getting time off right after an 8 day break and playing 2 games. He’s getting time off after an extended struggle and having a great game.

It’s crazy to me that players are expected to play all 82 games in a meat grinder of a league only to have to play 16-28 more games in the Meat Grinder in a best case scenario. Even a 42 year old Cullen doesn’t seem to have a planned lighter load.

Cullen complained about getting sat for rest games at Minnesota last year. This aspect of hockey culture is crazy to me.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
A little yeah on Wheeler. Malkin had leveled him with a headshot in the prior meeting, Wheeler took exception and wanted revenge the next game, he offered a fight pretty much the first time the two of them were on the ice (at a face off) and Malkin said "Game on". If anything that one took the needle out of the evening.

I don’t remember that game but the penalty summary doesn’t read like a game where things had been diffused. Wheeler could have broken his hand or gotten a concussion getting his revenge. Malkin could have been hurt letting him. Part of it is how inept the league is but it’s ridiculous.

Cullen complained about getting sat for rest games at Minnesota last year. This aspect of hockey culture is crazy to me.

I know and it’s insane. He’s also looked better this season after returning from injury and the break. I can’t believe there wasn’t a talk and plan about resting the man who could be the father of a decent number of players in the league. Not in a 16 and pregnant way.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don’t remember that game but the penalty summary doesn’t read like a game where things had been diffused. Wheeler could have broken his hand or gotten a concussion getting his revenge. Malkin could have been hurt letting him. Part of it is how inept the league is but it’s ridiculous.

Compared to the game where Malkin hit Wheeler and they were boarding players left right and centre (think Schultz may have picked up a concussion), it was practically a pre-season friendly. I think Reaves picked a fight for no particular reason and there was a decent amount of penalties, but it had gone from a foreboding sense of unfinished business to just another hockey game.

Incidentally, I think that first Winnipeg game was probably one of the reasons why Sid and Geno wanted an enforcer. Watching the team get ragdolled by Winnipeg with only Geno really a player who could step up and hand it back was pretty sobering.

I know and it’s insane. He’s also looked better this season after returning from injury and the break. I can’t believe there wasn’t a talk and plan about resting the man who could be the father of a decent number of players in the league. Not in a 16 and pregnant way.

Tbh I thought he'd turned the corner before the injury after getting put back at C, but there's no doubting that with a fully fit team I'd love to give him a week off about now.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Compared to the game where Malkin hit Wheeler and they were boarding players left right and centre (think Schultz may have picked up a concussion), it was practically a pre-season friendly. I think Reaves picked a fight for no particular reason and there was a decent amount of penalties, but it had gone from a foreboding sense of unfinished business to just another hockey game.

That 1st game was a straight up bloodbath. Concussed Schultz, broke Maatta’s hand (no penalty on either, iirc) and tried to end some others. Both injuries occurred well before Malkin got Wheeler. It was Winnipeg trying to kill the Pens and eventually Malkin snapped. It was pre-Reaves, though. Sestito got in a fight 2 seconds after Malkin did in the 2nd game. They brought up an enforcer for the rematch and Sestito got evicted later. I think the refs may have actively tried to manage that game compared to the 1st one but I wouldn’t call 2 fights and 2 game misconducts anything but bad. It just wasn’t trying to kill a team and may have seen the refs not being a huge problem.

Incidentally, I think that first Winnipeg game was probably one of the reasons why Sid and Geno wanted an enforcer. Watching the team get ragdolled by Winnipeg with only Geno really a player who could step up and hand it back was pretty sobering.

Winnipeg usually abuses this team and Reaves didn’t do much as a deterrent in his time here either. It’s a cultural thing but typically ineffective. A major part of the back to back team culture was skating away and an enforcer doesn’t fit with that. Cole could have responded or others could have thrown a dirty ass hit in retaliation, tbh. There was a pretty clear choice to stay out of things.

I think they did want an enforcer and JR had to notice the games where the team got brutalized, but it only makes players feel better. It doesn’t actually fix anything and the team had a bad season while feeling safer.

Tbh I thought he'd turned the corner before the injury after getting put back at C, but there's no doubting that with a fully fit team I'd love to give him a week off about now.

He may have. I’ve found that he has more pep and flies for awhile after some time off. I think the quality is still there but he really needs a limited workload to be at his best.

Reactions: Peat

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I wish resting players was more of a thing. Sitting Cullen would do wonders for him. Give Sid a night or two off as well, not like theyre in the running for the Ross or anything.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Winnipeg usually abuses this team and Reaves didn’t do much as a deterrent in his time here either. It’s a cultural thing but typically ineffective. A major part of the back to back team culture was skating away and an enforcer doesn’t fit with that. Cole could have responded or others could have thrown a dirty ass hit in retaliation, tbh. There was a pretty clear choice to stay out of things.

I am not a huge fan of the fighting, but it's revisionist to say Reaves didn't deter Winnipeg specifically, as I was looking for that during our game that year. They were much quieter with him in our lineup.

And Reaves can actually play hockey, he's got 8 goals and 16 points in 11 minutes a night this year, can't complain about that. I can see why he doesn't fit great with us, but the anti-Reaves faction has gone a little overboard.

Reactions: Nakawick and Pens17

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I wish resting players was more of a thing. Sitting Cullen would do wonders for him. Give Sid a night or two off as well, not like theyre in the running for the Ross or anything.

Yea but selling Cullen on sitting when he thinks he's got only a limited amount of games left in his career is a tough situation.
I agree with resting guys, but reality and human emotion trumps it

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I am not a huge fan of the fighting, but it's revisionist to say Reaves didn't deter Winnipeg specifically, as I was looking for that during our game that year. They were much quieter with him in our lineup.

And Reaves can actually play hockey, he's got 8 goals and 16 points in 11 minutes a night this year, can't complain about that. I can see why he doesn't fit great with us, but the anti-Reaves faction has gone a little overboard.

My mention of Reaves here was erroneous; vabm8 is correct that it was Sestito who I was thinking of having the fight in the second Winnipeg game, not Reaves.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

Would gladly take Reaves back personally, he’s the Anti Wilson who can play, like you said. :naughty:

Geno will always be Geno. He’s going to take dumb penalties, have a temper, be injured, put up points and fight at least once. Sucks that he’s hurt, but the extended rest might do him good.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Would gladly take Reaves back personally, he’s the Anti Wilson who can play, like you said. :naughty:

Geno will always be Geno. He’s going to take dumb penalties, have a temper, be injured, put up points and fight at least once. Sucks that he’s hurt, but the extended rest might do him good.

Yeah if Geno DIDN'T win us a Cup (or 3), then he's be the whipping boy around here. But when the greatness outweighs the silly, then there is nothing you can do about it. It's similar to Kessel but for different reasons. Kessel gets here and it's the difference between winning a Cup and not. Now there is nothing we can say about it. It just is what it is.

I hope I made sense there. :laugh:

Reactions: Human

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Yeah if Geno DIDN'T win us a Cup (or 3), then he's be the whipping boy around here. But when the greatness outweighs the silly, then there is nothing you can do about it. It's similar to Kessel but for different reasons. Kessel gets here and it's the difference between winning a Cup and not. Now there is nothing we can say about it. It just is what it is.

I hope I made sense there. :laugh:
Could be worse, we could have Laine :sarcasm:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I read the thread title quickly, saw "out" and "Murray" right next to each other, and wondered what the hell was wrong with him now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad