Injury Report: Updates In 1st Post | Letang Out vs CBJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I am going to sound harsh, but they should also send him to Fleury's shrink. Murray's head has clearly been out of it since his dad passed. He probably is already getting help, but if he isn't, the team should make him see a shrink for the sports aspect of his life.

Without him, we are going no where.

Maybe the shrink got his notes mixed up and now he's convinced Murray that he's Fleury circa 2012.

Reactions: EightyOne

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Any chance that his "injury" is he needs to get away mentally from the game for a bit? Seriously would or could a team put someone on IR for a mental health reason? It's not like they have to disclose anything about the nature of the IR visit. We've seen player clearly concussed and it get called a LBI and so on. I mean it sounds like he is legit hurt, but wow with no workload and just doing practice he's hurt? Brass better pay off huge for us because moving Gus might really hurt us down the line the way this is playing out.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Any chance that his "injury" is he needs to get away mentally from the game for a bit? Seriously would or could a team put someone on IR for a mental health reason? It's not like they have to disclose anything about the nature of the IR visit. We've seen player clearly concussed and it get called a LBI and so on. I mean it sounds like he is legit hurt, but wow with no workload and just doing practice he's hurt? Brass better pay off huge for us because moving Gus might really hurt us down the line the way this is playing out.

Sounds like he had something small that wasn’t at risk of getting worse by playing and in Penguins fashion it did.

Gus is a long ways away that if Murray is moved we’d need a good goalie anyways. Jarry is still a very good prospect too and more likely to be an NHL starter at this stage.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
His injury history was alarming when he was splitting starts, and then everyone just assumed that he'd be fine starting 60+ games a year.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
His injury history was alarming when he was splitting starts, and then everyone just assumed that he'd be fine starting 60+ games a year.

Kind of want to cut this reasoning down a bit. Nobody can guess or assume a person will have injuries or not. That's out of our control. You have stuff like Sid's concussion history or a scenario like Maatta but then the guys are doing their things. So it's nearly impossible to prepare for. You can only make yourself aware and prep for it. And to that point, I feel JR has done that. He moved Gust instead of Jarry. That kept a closer to being ready goalie just in case. Now DeSmith emerged and we sort of have 2 solid backups.

There isn't much else to do. JR prepped as best as he could. Mur just needs to stay healthy and that stuff is out of everyone's control.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Why would they let him try to play thru a lower body injury?!?! He was already struggling. They shouldve just put him on IR when they first knew of the injury and called up Jarry.

If it is a physical injury, I highly HIGHLY suspect Murray was keeping it under wraps. The team didn't know he had an issue.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
Kind of want to cut this reasoning down a bit. Nobody can guess or assume a person will have injuries or not. That's out of our control. You have stuff like Sid's concussion history or a scenario like Maatta but then the guys are doing their things. So it's nearly impossible to prepare for. You can only make yourself aware and prep for it. And to that point, I feel JR has done that. He moved Gust instead of Jarry. That kept a closer to being ready goalie just in case. Now DeSmith emerged and we sort of have 2 solid backups.

There isn't much else to do. JR prepped as best as he could. Mur just needs to stay healthy and that stuff is out of everyone's control.

This is a good point. Even if Murray didn't have an injury history, he's a Penguin, so we can assume that he'd get injured in other ways, like the scoreboard would fall on him.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
This is a good point. Even if Murray didn't have an injury history, he's a Penguin, so we can assume that he'd get injured in other ways, like the scoreboard would fall on him.

I think those were reserved for Bennett.

Only guy that could get injured playing whiffle ball, or worse, celebrating a goal.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Rick Dipietro everyone.
why would u say he is Dipietro, he has done more in 1 month than Dipietro done his own career, plus the contract is no where close to his, I think he will bounce back once healthy, he is a clutch goalie, sorry thought this was in the main forum, but none the less I'm a huge Murray fan

Reactions: Jacob

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
why would u say he is Dipietro, he has done more in 1 month than Dipietro done his own career, plus the contract is no where close to his, I think he will bounce back once healthy, he is a clutch goalie, sorry thought this was in the main forum, but none the less I'm a huge Murray fan

I'd assume the DiPietro comparison was more about a promising goalie whose career got sidetracked by injuries, rather than a comparison of what they'd achieved at the time of the injuries.

Murray could retire now (hopefully not) and I'd forever remember him fondly for his part in two Stanley Cups. So clearly Murray achieved more than DiPietro.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Maybe the shrink got his notes mixed up and now he's convinced Murray that he's Fleury circa 2012.

People here can be little babies about hating Fleury all they want, I am not going to sit here and pretend like Fleury was absolute crap here.

Murray is pure dog shit for over a year. Let's keep pretending its not a problem.

Statistically, Murray's current year, is closer to Fleury's numbers when Fleury was 18-19yr old being screwed by the Pens as a rookie. Currently, Murray's "career" numbers are worse than Fleury's for GAA and SV%. We all fooled ourselves into thinking the narrow headed 110lb glass man was going to be that elite, we knew it was going to normalize when he played the workload a true #1 plays, but he's never been able to stay healthy to ever be a #1 that can work a #1 workload.

Edit: No, I don't want Fleury back, maybe for a 1 day contract so he retires a Penguin like he should. But I will not sit here and pretend the entire time, Fleury was the fault we never won more, we constantly forgive Murray and even Crosby and Malkin when they are terrible for stretches, but people here were so overly critical of what MAF did. He had his ups and some major downs in the playoffs, but he always battled back when he had his demons with bad stretches. One thing about MAF is that he always worked to get back to good. People here just love to hate for the sake of hating, pathetic of fans are those types.

/rant.

Last edited:

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
If it is a physical injury, I highly HIGHLY suspect Murray was keeping it under wraps. The team didn't know he had an issue.
I was sitting here trying to wrap my head around the idea of them playing him injured and I came to the same conclusion.

Here's what I came up with. Something was probably bothering him but he didn't say anything because he wanted starts. Maybe he was worried about the organization being unhappy with inability to stay healthy. He figured he could play through it and no one would be the wiser. He finally said something to the trainer or someone and they had him get checked out. Then the doc shut him down.

Just a theory but it seems more plausible to me than the team saying "f*** your hammy, get in net!" :laugh:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Not sure why Murray being skinny is an issue, Ryan Miller is equally waiflike and he'll probably retire with close to 800 games.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Looks like one of those faces of meth posters.

The Pens are in win-now mode. What do they do? Pick up a veteran goalie and run with 3 goalies, hoping Murray can work his way through it and win back his starter position? I don't want to rely on DeSmith despite how well he's played. You can't just assume Murray can turn it around when he's been getting worse and worse. The fact that he can't stay healthy isn't helping matters any.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Also Dipietro was a 1st overall pick, Murray was 4th rounder.

If he retires tomorrow we've already got more than our money's worth out of him.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If Murray seriously played through an injury and hid it, it's stupid. Not what you want from a player you invested time and money into, to lie to you and play through something and ruin that investment. Yeah, it is a business, but if you can't even take care of your own health...come on man.

I feel like it is a mental thing, maybe he realized he needed professional help and wanted to do it properly, who knows. At this point, the only thing I want to know is a time frame. Like will they just shut him down for the rest of the season? If so, do it now and hopefully they can figure out the goalie situation the rest of the year if they need to trade for one or if Jarry/DeSmith is a formidable duo in the next few weeks.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'm guessing he's having post-concussion symptoms. Maybe they were intermittent or he didn't mention them to the team. He took a couple bumps to the head earlier in the year. I don't think he's on meth or suicidal or anything.

Of course if it is some sort of mental health thing, that could also be linked to concussions.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
I'm guessing he's having post-concussion symptoms. Maybe they were intermittent or he didn't mention them to the team. He took a couple bumps to the head earlier in the year. I don't think he's on meth or suicidal or anything.

Of course if it is some sort of mental health thing, that could also be linked to concussions.

I mean, the team said it's a lower-body injury. If it's a mental health thing or post-concussion syndrome, they'd come up with a euphemism, not lie about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad