Updated line up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Obviously, I imagine that’s the intent.

The bottom few defensemen are going to share like 20 minutes. That’s not a recipe for development.

Once you knock off the 15 minutes of PP time taken by a forward, there’s a 110 minutes for 7 defensemen to share. Rielly, Muzzin, and Brodie should be combining for about 70 minutes. If Holl gets 20, that leaves 25 minutes for the 5th, 6th and 7th guy to share....

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Oh, so they'll play like 8 minutes a night. That's much better for development.
Minutes are earned not set in stone. What they get is opportunity by actually playing in the NHL as appose to playing in the AHL . There's competitions for jobs on the blue line, with the kids on the roster they're no different than the vet who plays better plays more. That environment is actually the best for development IMO.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
This is what I'm hoping to see...

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Robertson - Tavares - Marner
Kerfoot - Thornton - Mikheyev
Engvall - Spezza - Simmonds
Vesey

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Dermott
Lethonen - Bogosian
Holl

Andersen - Campbell

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
The bottom few defensemen are going to share like 20 minutes. That’s not a recipe for development.

Once you knock off the 15 minutes of PP time taken by a forward, there’s a 110 minutes for 7 defensemen to share. Rielly, Muzzin, and Brodie should be combining for about 70 minutes. If Holl gets 20, that leaves 25 minutes for the 5th, 6th and 7th guy to share....

Not sure about that math and Holl should be in the same boat in terms of playing time as Lehtonen, Bogosian and Dermott; although he could receive the most of the 4. On average there'd be about 116 minutes a night to split between defensemen. With a condensed season in mind; and if they rolled 7 defensemen, I'd expect Rielly, Muzzin, and Brodie to combine for 64 minutes (Rielly 22.5, Brodie 21, Muzzin 20.5), with 52 minutes remaining to split between 4 D (13 min avg). Realistically the bottom D could still receive 10+ minutes.

I do think they should run 6 D though, just keep it competitive and swap in when any 1 of Bogo, Dermott, Holl, Lehtonen is off; also no need to play guys banged up or have the same 6 on back to backs.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Vesey - - Tavares - - Nylander
Kerfoot - Thornton - Mikheyev
Engvall - Spezza - Simmonds

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Dermott/Lehtonen - Bogosian

Reactions: The Podium

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Looks like Miettenen got bonked in the back of the head at the same time that the Broncos goalie tore his groin. Chaos all around.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
This is a big year for the leafs young stars. The offensive depth was gutted pretty hard this summer to shore up the defense which needed to happen. However now the pressure will be on the top 6 to produce every game as there really isn't that much offense outside that now.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
This is a big year for the leafs young stars. The offensive depth was gutted pretty hard this summer to shore up the defense which needed to happen. However now the pressure will be on the top 6 to produce every game as there really isn't that much offense outside that now.

Can't really say the depth is THAT gutted offensively.

Bottom six really didn't produce well at all, and the Leafs were still the best offensive team under Keefe.

I do agree though, the big guns gotta produce, but that's all they've ever done, and they'll do so again.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
People still sleeping on Joey Anderson?

At first I knew VERY little about the prospect, but after seeing his game and what scouts say, I think he has the potential to be a fan favourite.

BUT, he has to climb over a lot of bodies to make that happen, he's not a bruiser when it comes to body checking but he's seems to play a lot in the greasy areas.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Due to CAP there will only be 21 players on opening roster.
Matty, JT, Mitch, Willy, Kerfoot, Thornton, Zach, Mik, Simmonds, Spezza
Rielly, Muzzy, Brodie, Dermy, Bogo, Holl
Freddy and Soup
Those 18 guys will be there guaranteed for many different reasons unless injury
So you have 3 REAL spots left for camp battles
Vesey Robertson and Barabanov battling for 2 or 3 spots depending on 12 or 13 forwards kept (really its between Vesey and Robertson and most people think it will be Vessey)
Lehtonen if they go 7 defense and 12 forwards
Sandin Lily Engvall and Anderson with a fighters punch chance

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Can't really say the depth is THAT gutted offensively.

Bottom six really didn't produce well at all, and the Leafs were still the best offensive team under Keefe.

I do agree though, the big guns gotta produce, but that's all they've ever done, and they'll do so again.
Losing arguably your two best bottom 6 players in AJ/Kap is certainly a pretty decent decrease in forward depth. If the bottom 6 couldn't score last year, it could be even worse this year.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Losing arguably your two best bottom 6 players in AJ/Kap is certainly a pretty decent decrease in forward depth. If the bottom 6 couldn't score last year, it could be even worse this year.
AJ missed a good chunk of the year, and from what I saw, Robertson at 18 was not a drop off in any way. KK had 13 goals - he will not be hard to replace. In fact, KK has killed every line he was ever on due to his non-existent hockey IQ. Moving is addition by subtraction.

I really think you are reaching for something that isn't there.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

Kapanen and Johnsson are solid players as individuals, but they didn't do much in the bottom six last year and the Leafs still dominated offensively, that's my point.

Johnsson was hurt, and him and Kapanen were only playing at a 40 point pace(which isn't bad, but they could do better).

IF the additions the Leafs made improve the teams bite and defensive play, the trade off is worth it...and the production might not be a THAT far off.

Simmonds is the only player I'm meh on because I think he's done, hope I'm wrong but we'll see.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Kerfoot was better than both IMO, especially pre and post injury. And Mikheyev as well who likely starts in the bottom 6.

Yes, the bottom 6 is full of wild cards now, but lets not pretend like AJ, who missed the majority of the year, and Kapanen, who played poorly the majority of the year, are irreplaceable losses.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
People still sleeping on Joey Anderson?

Yea, I think he'll be on the roster at least to start. Not necessarily playing every game, though.

I think he makes the team later in the year and becomes a regular once they accumulate some cap space. Being waiver exempt hurts his chances for an opening night spot in my opinion, same goes for Engvall; being on the taxi squad then getting AHL minutes will be good for them initially.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
AJ missed a good chunk of the year, and from what I saw, Robertson at 18 was not a drop off in any way. KK had 13 goals - he will not be hard to replace. In fact, KK has killed every line he was ever on due to his non-existent hockey IQ. Moving is addition by subtraction.

I really think you are reaching for something that isn't there.
I always thought Kap's lack of hockey IQ ment he was destined to be a bottom 6 player. However his skill set definitely thrived in a bottom 6 role where his speed was a real factor.

I dont think it is reaching at all. The leafs shifted money from their forwards to their defense this summer by trading AJ/Kap and bringing in Brodie/Bogo. I'm very happy that was done but I think it would be crazy to think the leafs didnt downgrade their forward depth. They lost 2 40 point guys in their bottom 6 who were still relatively young and replaced them with Simmonds and Vessey essentially as Robertson was already on the team last year.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Kapanen and Johnsson are solid players as individuals, but they didn't do much in the bottom six last year and the Leafs still dominated offensively, that's my point.

Johnsson was hurt, and him and Kapanen were only playing at a 40 point pace(which isn't bad, but they could do better).

IF the additions the Leafs made improve the teams bite and defensive play, the trade off is worth it...and the production might not be a THAT far off.

Simmonds is the only player I'm meh on because I think he's done, hope I'm wrong but we'll see.
I'm very pleased the leafs downgraded their forward depth in order to upgrade their top 4D. It was definitely the correct decision. Never said anything different.

I'm not too high on Simmonds either. From every New Jersey/Buffalo fan I have talked to it seems like he is pretty washed up and Simmonds needs to be a physical force to be effective.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Kerfoot was better than both IMO, especially pre and post injury. And Mikheyev as well who likely starts in the bottom 6.

Yes, the bottom 6 is full of wild cards now, but lets not pretend like AJ, who missed the majority of the year, and Kapanen, who played poorly the majority of the year, are irreplaceable losses.
Kefoot spent a decent amount of time on JT's line (same with Mikheyev) but I would agree he is a similar tier player who definitely gels better with top 6 players than Kap. That is why i didn't include him, plus I'm not sure where he will play this year (I.e. top vs bottom 6).

I'm not pretending anything. The leafs lost forward depth to better their top 4D. Not sure why it is so controversial to say something I thought was obvious and a good idea.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Kefoot spent a decent amount of time on JT's line (same with Mikheyev) but I would agree he is a similar tier player who definitely gels better with top 6 players than Kap. That is why i didn't include him, plus I'm not sure where he will play this year (I.e. top vs bottom 6).

I'm not pretending anything. The leafs lost forward depth to better their top 4D. Not sure why it is so controversial to say something I thought was obvious and a good idea.

I just think the Leafs downgraded depth is overstated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad