Updated line up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Some of the TV guys suggest Thornton and Spezza might alternate a bit but I don't see that. I can't speak for everyone but I have grown quite fond of Spezza and I want him treated right.

I think it will come down to the structure of the season. If there's plenty of back to backs the older guys may need more rest.

Though I think they'll probably still dress and just get less toi in certain games than usual

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I'd bet money that he won't. Kerfoot's easily a better player than ancient Thornton.

How could you casually type "easily" against a player as experienced and as decorated as Joe Thornton? No one knows with certainty how good Jumbo will be next season, but how can you be certain about Kerfoot? Are you judging by Joe's down season last year or by Kerfoot's down season last year?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
How could you casually type "easily" against a player as experienced and as decorated as Joe Thornton? No one knows with certainty how good Jumbo will be next season, but how can you be certain about Kerfoot? Are you judging by Joe's down season last year or by Kerfoot's down season last year?

Not saying I couldn't be wrong. The Thornton seen last year is most likely the Thornton we see going forward due to his age and how other 40+ year olds around the league trend. We also don't have much PP time to feed him either (same problem we have with Kerfoot too). I expect a better Kerfoot next year.

Reactions: qqaz

Ruggle

Jan 21, 2019
This is what I think we are looking at;
Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Nylander - Tavares - Mikheyev
Roberston/Vesey - Kerfoot - Simmonds
Engvall - Thornton - Spezza/Barabanov

Korshkov - Boyd - Anderson

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Lehtonen/Holl/Bogosian
Dermott/Lehtonen - Holl/Bogosian

Sandin - Liljegren

Freddy
Campbell

Dell

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
What is going to happen with the 2 extra goalies?

Depends. It's been mentioned, that the league may allow for expanded rosters, with players not counting against the cap. If that's so, Dell stays with the Leafs, and Hutch plays with the Marlies. If that isn't the case, they both end up on the Marlies in all likelihood...

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
What is going to happen with the 2 extra goalies?
This is an interesting question. Given ability to move Lehtonen and Engvall down to Marlies to start season it is possible we keep all 3 goalies on opening day roster. Then other teams will fill their needs in goal from waiver wire. And then we move down Dell when it is safer. It will all depend on injuries throughout league in camp and preseason. But it has to happen at some point due to CAP management and Lehtonen did not join our team to be playing on Marlies. If we get an injury upfront then Engvall will be 1st call up. But guessing we end up with 12 forwards, 7 D and 2 goalies for a CAP roster of 21 for most of season. Hopefully teams will be allowed to carry an extra 2-3 guys travelling with team in event of injury on a back to back on road. In that case both Lehtonen and Engvall would practice with team but not be on 21 man CAP roster. If it is 3 guys then Robertson could be 3rd guy after world juniors if he tears up OHL on his return.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
This is an interesting question. Given ability to move Lehtonen and Engvall down to Marlies to start season it is possible we keep all 3 goalies on opening day roster. Then other teams will fill their needs in goal from waiver wire. And then we move down Dell when it is safer. It will all depend on injuries throughout league in camp and preseason. But it has to happen at some point due to CAP management and Lehtonen did not join our team to be playing on Marlies. If we get an injury upfront then Engvall will be 1st call up. But guessing we end up with 12 forwards, 7 D and 2 goalies for a CAP roster of 21 for most of season. Hopefully teams will be allowed to carry an extra 2-3 guys travelling with team in event of injury on a back to back on road. In that case both Lehtonen and Engvall would practice with team but not be on 21 man CAP roster. If it is 3 guys then Robertson could be 3rd guy after world juniors if he tears up OHL on his return.

It wouldn't shock me at all, if we go dumpster diving as well, and sign one more guy. Brassard for example on a minimum contract...

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
of course you don't and i also assume you don't believe all the reports he was being shopped

but actually believe the return for Mango was outstanding even though he's such a poor prospect he could only get a 2 way deal coming off his elc
Source?

We know the whole third line was available, we also know Kerfoot was the one they least wanted to move. We all saw how it played out. He managed to move the less vital wingers and so did not need to move the C.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
It wouldn't shock me at all, if we go dumpster diving as well, and sign one more guy. Brassard for example on a minimum contract...

I know we are _alls deep in salary, but I would hope that TOR does something better than dumpster diving. Especially closer to the trade deadline. Non factor players like Petan and Malgin came from the dumpster IMHO.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I know we are _alls deep in salary, but I would hope that TOR does something better than dumpster diving. Especially closer to the trade deadline. Non factor players like Petan and Malgin came from the dumpster IMHO.

My line of thoughts, there are a few players left available, that are decent players, but are caught in a Covid Salary cap squeeze. There is no risk in offering a Brassard a league minimum. If he makes the team, and performs well, he's a good 4C minimum, and maybe even pushes Kerfoot out the door and is the 3C. If he doesn't work out, he's on the Marlies, and isn't a cap issue. The more internal competition there is, the better.

What about offering Soderberg a contract? He's got size, good defensively, good on the PK, and is decent offensively. He'd make a nice 3C, probably an upgrade over Kerfoot, and at this point, he might come cheaper too. Maybe significantly cheaper.

These are decent C options, and C depth is critical. There are factor players available still, that could be had for cheap.

Reactions: ottomaddox

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
This team now has depth, character, some grit Simmonds, Muzzin and BOGO. Some things played into Dubas favour and our yewts are a year older, Lil, Sandin, Robertson. The depth in goal will create solid competition.

Dubas gets a B. He buys one more year. I wonder if Shanahan screaming helped?

A good offseason, this team has a chance.Cdn league here we come!

The Cdn league will be the best thing for hockey.Bettman never got the blessed US tv deal and no one watched the cup. But Cdns will watch to see who wins the Cdn league. I think this team is well built to win such a league. I'd rate em 15 to 1 to win the Stanley.

Last edited:

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
We have terrific depth now, so it’s really hard to say. But my guess:

Mikheyev - Tavares - Nylander
Kerfoot - Thornton - Simmonds
Vesey - Spezza - Barabanov

Forward depth: Robertson, Anderson, Engvall, Boyd, Gauthier, Petan, Malgin

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Dermott - Bogosian

D depth: Lehtonen, Sandin, Liljegren

Freddy
Campbell

G depth: Dell

When injuries strike, we’ll be ready - huge number of guys who can step in and play meaningful minutes. Camp is going to be very, very competitive - I’d say the top 2 goalies, top 3 D (Rielly, Muzzin, Brodie), and top 7 forwards (top 2 lines plus Kerfoot) all have their spots locked down, everyone else is gonna have to fight for it.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
My line of thoughts, there are a few players left available, that are decent players, but are caught in a Covid Salary cap squeeze. There is no risk in offering a Brassard a league minimum. If he makes the team, and performs well, he's a good 4C minimum, and maybe even pushes Kerfoot out the door and is the 3C. If he doesn't work out, he's on the Marlies, and isn't a cap issue. The more internal competition there is, the better.

What about offering Soderberg a contract? He's got size, good defensively, good on the PK, and is decent offensively. He'd make a nice 3C, probably an upgrade over Kerfoot, and at this point, he might come cheaper too. Maybe significantly cheaper.

These are decent C options, and C depth is critical. There are factor players available still, that could be had for cheap.

Soderberg is 35. Thornton is 41 their contracts are not buriable, send them to the Marlies and their contracts still count against the Cap.

Ruggle

Jan 21, 2019
We have terrific depth now, so it’s really hard to say. But my guess:

Mikheyev - Tavares - Nylander
Kerfoot - Thornton - Simmonds
Vesey - Spezza - Barabanov

Forward depth: Robertson, Anderson, Engvall, Boyd, Gauthier, Petan, Malgin

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Dermott - Bogosian

D depth: Lehtonen, Sandin, Liljegren

Freddy
Campbell

G depth: Dell

When injuries strike, we’ll be ready - huge number of guys who can step in and play meaningful minutes. Camp is going to be very, very competitive - I’d say the top 2 goalies, top 3 D (Rielly, Muzzin, Brodie), and top 7 forwards (top 2 lines plus Kerfoot) all have their spots locked down, everyone else is gonna have to fight for it.
isn't goat gone?

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
This is what I think we are looking at;
Nylander - Tavares - Mikheyev
Roberston/Vesey - Kerfoot - Simmonds
Engvall - Thornton - Spezza/Barabanov

Korshkov - Boyd - Anderson

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Lehtonen/Holl/Bogosian
Dermott/Lehtonen - Holl/Bogosian

Sandin - Liljegren

Freddy
Campbell

Dell

You're probably right (except I think you have Nylander/Mikheyev on the wrong wings) but I'll say it again: the forward lineup falls off a cliff after the first two lines and the 3rd pairing defense is going to be brutal. Dermott has not progressed for some reason for at least a season and Sandin/Liljegren aren't remotely close yet.

Not a great lineup IMO.

Ovie717

Sep 26, 2019
Elliot Friedman hinted at teams being limited to 35-man training camp rosters. Thoughts on this 35-man depth chart?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 10.30.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 10.30.32 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 7

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Hornby just posted an article and mentioned that Leafs might do a lot of games where they play 7 D. Dubas said he and Keefe have talked about it. They are looking to mimic what Tampa did, and apparently in 2016 during the Marlies conference final series, Keefe called Cooper to talk about this idea. Guys like Sandin and Liljegren will be worked in as well in this situation.
I like this idea. It gives some experience to the younger d man like them without pushing it. It also opens up many options for Keefe.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Hornby just posted an article and mentioned that Leafs might do a lot of games where they play 7 D. Dubas said he and Keefe have talked about it. They are looking to mimic what Tampa did, and apparently in 2016 during the Marlies conference final series, Keefe called Cooper to talk about this idea. Guys like Sandin and Liljegren will be worked in as well in this situation.
I like this idea. It gives some experience to the younger d man like them without pushing it. It also opens up many options for Keefe.

So we're going to play Sandin and Liljegren as 4th line wingers and think that's going to help their development?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
So we're going to play Sandin and Liljegren as 4th line wingers and think that's going to help their development?
They would be the 7th d. Tavares, Matthews, Marner would cycle through the 4th line

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
They would be the 7th d. Tavares, Matthews, Marner would cycle through the 4th line

Boucher did that with the Sens periodically, it always depended on the matchup when he did it. It was the year they were an OT goal from going to the cup final.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander (right side draws: Matthews - Nylander - Hyman)
Mikheyev - Tavares - Marner
3a: Robertson - Thornton - Simmonds
3b: Vesey - Kerfoot - Spezza (right side draws: Kerfoot - Spezza - Vesey)

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Lehtonen - Bogosian
Extra: Dermott

PP1:
Nylander
Marner Tavares Matthews
Lehtonen

PP2:
Simmonds
Thornton Robertson Spezza
Rielly