Confirmed with Link: Updated: Devils SIGN Brunner (2 years, $2.5M AAV)

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
With the big ice the game over there is more like soccer scoring wise.

It is always why I laugh when people here suggest bigger ice to increase scoring.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Bigger rink makes quick transitions less effective. But aesthetically, it gives an appearance of more flow because of more skating. Haven't seen many KHL games but I watch more than a few NCAA games. More up and down skating, plays seems more stretched out and longer to developed (partially because of skill level).

I sometimes like the bigger ice and sometimes hate it...I'm not sure. I like it for the skating it creates but I hate it because I think it takes away from some of the physicality of the game. The smaller surface seems to force players on top of each other and the larger ice seems to encourage more positional defense.

When I think of NHL hockey, I think of playoff style hockey. Tight checking, close games, no room, very physical... I think if the NHL moved to a larger ice surface a lot of that type of game would be lost.

Big Drive

Mar 12, 2009
NJ
Bigger rink makes quick transitions less effective. But aesthetically, it gives an appearance of more flow because of more skating. Haven't seen many KHL games but I watch more than a few NCAA games. More up and down skating, plays seems more stretched out and longer to developed (partially because of skill level).

I sometimes like the bigger ice and sometimes hate it...I'm not sure. I like it for the skating it creates but I hate it because I think it takes away from some of the physicality of the game. The smaller surface seems to force players on top of each other and the larger ice seems to encourage more positional defense.

When I think of NHL hockey, I think of playoff style hockey. Tight checking, close games, no room, very physical... I think if the NHL moved to a larger ice surface a lot of that type of game would be lost.

I know this would never happen, but what if some rinks were of different dimensions, similarly to mlb, therefore some gms would have to construct their team to suit their rink?

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

For me, I think a good rink size is tight from side boards to side boards and long length wise but short offensive zones from a close in blue line.

I want shots coming from close in, having to make physical plays, and players having to make quick defensive decisions that lead to mistakes but I want to have a neutral zone with as much space as possible to allow teams to get through it with good passing, skating, and play development.

By preference, I think a small ice surface leads to a more exciting hockey game than a large one, but I'd like to try and pick and choose the best qualities of the small and big ice surfaces if possible because both have their strong points.

NJDevilsZG

I'll drive team bus
Nov 3, 2010
Zagreb, Croatia
Having opportunity to see it all first-hand, I totally agree with Jim here.
My hometown team Medveščak is playing in KHL this season. We have totally NA team, coach and system (somewhat like Devils - strong 4-lines forecheck, D jumping in often, physical overall play, good PK ...) And our home rink is NHL sized.
When boys go on a road, they tend to stick to same game plan. And it is more than obvious that they have to tone down a noch or two - big rink just takes you out if play completely for 2/3 of hits you try to make. Wears down players on forecheck too, so that part also looks tonned down. D side, you must go more positional, or you'll end up chasing all the time.
But on the other end, there is more time on hands, so some really nice plays can be seen, that I'm pretty sure just wouldn't be there on small ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad