Boston Bruins UPDATED 12/6 - Looking back at the 2015 Entry Draft and the aftermath

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I see 4 years ago I stated that this draft would set them back 5 to 8 years and Sweeney was an idiot.

I was called a fraud among other things.

4 years later the draft set the Bruins back at least 8 years and Sweeney has proven what an idiot he is.

Yup.

It was near 7 years ago and it hurt them yup but some of them players they missed on would cost big coin now to so they would not have them all on same team.Hall would surely not be here then.Anyways Sweeney is still here so it is what it is.See how Debrusk deal turns out I guess.lol

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
but some of them players they missed on would cost big coin now to so they would not have them all on same team.

I don't buy that. In 2010 the Blackhawks had a fire sale after the cup, but instead of panicking they kept their studs (Kane/Toews/Sharp/Hossa/Keith/Seabrook) and filled in the roster around them. Their salaries made up 51.9% of the team's 2010-2011 salary cap. They ended up winning 2 Cups in the next 5 years and were an OT away in Game 7 of the WCF (2014) from advancing to the SCF and steamrolling the Rangers, which would've been their 3rd in 5 years.

We'd have been able to keep the studs (perfection line/Connor/Barzal/McAvoy) and build around them. Those 6 players, the same number that Chicago built around, account for 47.5% of this year's cap, 4.4% below the space that Chicago's players ate up.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I want the FO gone yesterday, but nothing is really going to change until ownership changes. When/if it happens, you might get an owner like Jones or Steinbrenner but its worth the gamble, IMO.
But they brought in Chiarelli as hockey czar after the botched lockout strategy and the Thornton debacle.

But how bad to things need to get to make that sort of change? As Fens stated, the end is neigh for the core. We know that.

But does it take playoff DNQ’s to bring about change?

Montreal made the Final last season and that didn’t stop them from making big changes.

Clode

Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH
It was near 7 years ago and it hurt them yup but some of them players they missed on would cost big coin now to so they would not have them all on same team.Hall would surely not be here then.Anyways Sweeney is still here so it is what it is.See how Debrusk deal turns out I guess.lol

If Sweeney and Co. would stop overpaying fourth line plugs/bottom pairing Dmen and managed their assets/cap correctly then they probably would have more than enough cap to sign those players. Also Hall probably wouldn't be here because had they drafted correctly then secondary scoring wouldn't be an issue, theoretically anyway...

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
My point is simple - the dysfunction that allowed 2015 to happen still exists and that scares me because the core is ending its run.

The Bruins WILL NOT be sold as long as Jeremy Jacobs is alive but what his 6 children decide after that :dunno:

Great post. When Bergeron and Marchand either retire or decline, I'm afraid that Jacobs/Neely/Sweeney will throw money at FA's in order to "remain competitive", resulting in the next Backes, Beleskey, and Moore contracts.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Great post. When Bergeron and Marchand either retire or decline, I'm afraid that Jacobs/Neely/Sweeney will throw money at FA's in order to "remain competitive", resulting in the next Backes, Beleskey, and Moore contracts.
Or, when they were going to restock the roster post lockout and Mike Modano spurned them so they ended up with this guy.
upload_2021-12-6_20-27-49.jpeg

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I didn't get the Lucic deal. This whole theory about him breaking down because he's a "power forward" is and was stupid. (not directed at you but management).

I mean of the 5 guys, there is only one guy (Carlo) you can guarantee will be touching the ice every night for their team. One legitimate current full-timer player. Yet here we are 6 years and counting.

I was and am supportive of the Lucic trade. The deal he signed with Edmonton is probably about what it would have taken to re-sign him in Boston, maybe $250k less per year or something. Aren't you glad the Bruins weren't saddled with that contract?

Reactions: Tbaybruin

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I was and am supportive of the Lucic trade. The deal he signed with Edmonton is probably about what it would have taken to re-sign him in Boston, maybe $250k less per year or something. Aren't you glad the Bruins weren't saddled with that contract?

Nope, I would of re-signed him. And the Bruins would of been better off for it. He would of ended up an overpaid 3rd line LWer, but it also would of prevented them likely chasing Beleskey, Backes, and now Foligno.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
But they brought in Chiarelli as hockey czar after the botched lockout strategy and the Thornton debacle.

But how bad to things need to get to make that sort of change? As Fens stated, the end is neigh for the core. We know that.

But does it take playoff DNQ’s to bring about change?

Montreal made the Final last season and that didn’t stop them from making big changes.

How bad before change?

IMO it all comes down to the gate.
Be it no playoffs, no sell outs, or combination of both.

Otherwise there is no driving factor.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I find this thread depressing. Won't rehash the details, but I vey much dislike Jeremy Jacobs. Very.

When the head of the fish is rotten (and I believe he is) you get disfunction.

You won't see any bullshit false accolades from me when the old guy finally goes. I'll feel bad for his family as he is a human. But in terms of this team, it will feel like a sunny spring day. Could always rain, but the promise of a summer approaching is at least real.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Can someone tell me what does Cam Neely bring to the table today?

He was hired to be the spokesperson for ownership on hockey matters but after some ugly on-air shows with Feger and Mazz, we don't hear from him anymore.

Sweeney avoids the media and Cassidy is left holding the fort. Obviously, they have figured out that Charlie is weak in public speaking.

The Bruins relationship with Providence is 'odd'. They don't want to own the AHL team but made it clear the affiliation depends on Delaware North having the concessions. Things have improved but issues have existed over practice rinks - a few years ago the Baby B's had practice days at Adalard Arena in Woonsocket. :help:

I firmly believe the B's need to bring in an outsider as they did with Chia 15 years ago.

Well you see...you can't question the Neely-Sweeney Boys Club. :sarcasm:

Reactions: MattFromFranklin

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I wish the Jacob's sold the team to Fenway Sports.

Fenway Sports Group was never going to buy the Bruins. That was a PR stunt to help make them look better after how stupid John Henry looked buying a rival in the Pittsburgh Penguins.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
pretty sure the Lucic trade was inevitable. He wanted to go closer to home due to the death of his father so all the speculation about keeping him is irrelevant. he wasn't staying in Boston.

that said, with the benefit of hindsight I 100% would have kept him. He has remained a relatively effective player since 2015 and has always been a great glue guy.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
for what it's worth, I don't share the negative outlook Fenway has, at least not totally.

Like I get that there are some major red flags with how ownership operates, but ultimately they continue to be willing to spend to the cap and let the GM do what he needs to do to compete. Sweeney & Neely's actual execution of their plan is of course a mixed bag, but at no point in the last 6 years have I felt like ownership is the problem.

And if the concern is that once the Bergeron era ends they'll go back to the Sinden days of just being competitive enough to make the playoffs every year, I'll say that the contract they gave McAvoy to me seems like a good sign that ownership is still all-in on letting the hockey guys do what they need to do and spend to the cap. At this point if the GM can't ice a contending team I feel like it's on him and not the owners.

The only caveat to this would be that I've seen some people speculate that the lack of toughness in the lineup is a mandate from Jacobs to mitigate liability when the CTE crows come home to roost. If Neely co have been told to stay away from building a rowdy team by ownership then I'll admit that we have an ownership problem because 1. ) that limits the GM's ability to build the team he needs to build and 2.) it results in a boring product.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I didn't get the Lucic deal. This whole theory about him breaking down because he's a "power forward" is and was stupid. (not directed at you but management).

I mean of the 5 guys, there is only one guy (Carlo) you can guarantee will be touching the ice every night for their team. One legitimate current full-timer player. Yet here we are 6 years and counting.

Lucic wanted to head out West to be closer to home after a family tragedy. I always found it weird to see Bruins fans trying to make mock trades to bring him back when Lucic has made it quite clear he wants to stay out West ( LA, Edmonton, Calgary ) since leaving Boston. Judging by his social media, Looch still has heart strings for Boston so never say never, but it most likely never happens.

Last edited:

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
How bad before change?

IMO it all comes down to the gate.
Be it no playoffs, no sell outs, or combination of both.

Otherwise there is no driving factor.
Whelp.

We know that you or I staying away from the gate and not buying the merch isn't going to delivery any sort of message.

Remember what the building looked like during the M.O.C. days?

Lots of long time fans went away and stayed away. Some never came back.

I'm starting to get why.

Reactions: EvilDead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad