Boston Bruins UPDATED 12/6 - Looking back at the 2015 Entry Draft and the aftermath

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Some of us still have the same opinion of Sweeney that dominated the thread from 15. Until I see Senyshyn being an impact forward I will say Sweeney screwed up that draft, the terrible trades he made around it and subsequent free agent signings

Reactions: TCB

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Some of us still have the same opinion of Sweeney that dominated the thread from 15. Until I see Senyshyn being an impact forward I will say Sweeney screwed up that draft, the terrible trades he made around it and subsequent free agent signings

What terrible trades did he make? Subsequent free agent signings? Beleskey at the time wasn’t a bad move and the Backes signing has been good.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Broken record.

Hilarious when you call out Sweeney for Barzal in the 2015 draft when he’s the type of player you normally can’t stand. In this case it just fits your agenda.

Fenian should be spelled F-R-A-U-D.

In a couple of years when the B’s have 5/6 2015 draftees in the NHL, it will be interesting to see what the dialogue looks like then.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

They have a top 6 winger and a top 4 dman currently playing on their squad thanks to that draft.

They have a potential top 9 winger, top 4 dman, and a middle 6 center waiting in the wings that have a good chance to crack the lineup next year.

2015 set this team up with solid depth and key players for a long time. If you still have the same opinion then as you do now about that draft, then that's on you for not seeing it.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Rather than have this draft being discussed in numerous threads let's look back at what was discussed right after it happened.

Post-Game Talk: NHL Entry Draft 2015 - Bruins Report Card

GDT: Entry Draft 2015 - Part II - Disaster in Sunrise? - 10 AM NHLN - TVA

Part 1 which was Friday night appears to not have survived the migration

Just raced through the first 10 pages of the draft thread, some classic stuff there. If you were a first time Hf user and just introduced to NHL hockey and were asked to read that, you`d think this team had missed the playoffs the last 10 years then swiftly went out and drafted a bunch of horrendous prospects.

Jury is still out on how that draft will eventually pan out for the team as a few still in the very very early start of their pro careers

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
One pick not said much about or heard about who has been out is Jeremy Lauzon.

I caught him twice early in Providence and my comp of skillset and size is former Flames stalwart Jamie Macoun.

He was very underrated and a tough honest player who could do well on all situations- Lauzon looks like that and is pretty big and aggressive who skates well. Seems like a take charge as well watching him in providence during his first couple of weeks

Hopefully he's back soon he looked like he checked off every box above average.

My hopes he's a second pairing hockey warrior.

I'm kind of concerned and as finchster said the second round could be better than the first - it really could be that good but they need him

Jury out on draft but early results are positive my only concern is really his health

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
One pick not said much about or heard about who has been out is Jeremy Lauzon.

I caught him twice early in Providence and my comp of skillset and size is former Flames stalwart Jamie Macoun.

He was very underrated and a tough honest player who could do well on all situations- Lauzon looks like that and is pretty big and aggressive who skates well. Seems like a take charge as well watching him in providence during his first couple of weeks

Hopefully he's back soon he looked like he checked off every box above average.

My hopes he's a second pairing hockey warrior.

I'm kind of concerned and as finchster said the second round could be better than the first - it really could be that good but they need him

Jury out on draft but early results are positive my only concern is really his health

It was a jumping to conclusions on the crap shoot that is the draft.

And it still is. But to be critical at all of the Bruins drafting over the past few years is totally unfounded.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
I can't say that I'm well versed in draft prospects nor do pretend to have a strong opinion on what they did in 2015. With that being said, was there ever a reason stated for passing on Barzal. It seems like the hockey world was expecting them to pick him, certainly reading through the posts the boards expectation was to pick him, and he was solidly rated as a top 10 picks my most experts.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Senyshyn will be a good bottom 6 forward. Paille but with 10 more goals a year.

One or two of the LD prospects will pan out. Might be Zboril might not. I think Lauzen and Lindgren will be better.

DeBrusk is a first liner.

But for trade value alone we needed to use one of those picks on BPA. Martin Jones remains the best NHLer Sweeney has traded for and that doesn't look to be changing. The Spooner can't play wing so we don't want a center logic was super flawed. Were lucky we didn't have to pay Hamilton 7 mil per our contract structure would be beyond messed up and someone like Pasternak or Krug would be lost as a result by now.

Should have extended Lucic and traded Erikkson.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I can't say that I'm well versed in draft prospects nor do pretend to have a strong opinion on what they did in 2015. With that being said, was there ever a reason stated for passing on Barzal. It seems like the hockey world was expecting them to pick him, certainly reading through the posts the boards expectation was to pick him, and he was solidly rated as a top 10 picks my most experts.

Spooner had just put up 50 points yet clearly sucked at wing whenever he played there early on so we couldn't fathom drafting a center.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He was like Zach Parise in 2003 expected to not get past 10

I went to the draft party at the Garden and had all my draft crap and as the names came off there he sat lol

I would have taken him and Parise but I would not have taken Bergeron-Cleary or McAvoy so you win don't you lose some

Bruins Logic (my educated guess)

1. Need- they had Krejci & Bergeron digned long term NMC up till 'at least' 2020 and through 2022

2. Style - Claude is the coach and their centers are 200 foot centers and my guesstimate was he didn't project there - they had Soooner & Khokhlachev already who fell in this area

3. They wanted wingers who they identified as scorers and offensively based. DeBrusk looks like a homerun and Senyshyn looks like a very good choice from what I have seen and read. I know at least one person who scouts the college game and overlaps to the AHL games when the college season ends told me he's raw with a heck of an upside - patience will be rewarded.

I'm sure with a redo they take him and DeBrusk but Arizona at 3 takes him as well

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
If I remember right (but don't count on that), it was rumored that Barzal did not interview very well with the Bruins, and that played a large part in them passing on him.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

That's what I'd like to know too. Has anyone in the front office gone on record to explain why the team passed on him (and other "consensus" picks)?

If I remember right (but don't count on that), it was rumored that Barzal did not interview very well with the Bruins, and that played a large part in them passing on him.

I heard that it was Connor. In any event, I don't know whether this rumor of interviewing poorly/tanking the interview was anything more than that.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Typical humanity on this thread. ***** and pine for something you don't have (Barzal) instead of harping on your blessings of what you do have (McAvoy).

McAvoy was the 26th or so ranked player his draft year according to two other publications. Maybe we should hAve taken the popular consensus then too?

Get over it people.

Charlie McAvoy is one of the ten most important people in my life right now.

Still wish we had Barzal.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Regardless of Barzal's interview, he's such a talent that you have to take him or trade that pick to acquire more assets.

The proper course of action is not to pass up on a blue chip top 6 forward and draft a guy who was literally a projected third rounder in that slot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad