Management Update- TD Garden ushers receive more bad news, they’ve been laid off

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I'm glad everyone - particularly the news outlets - are picking up on all the conditionals. This isn't enough from Jacobs, but, frankly, it's not enough from the other owners, too.

I decided to randomly pick four of the 30 other teams from Fenway's compendium to see if they have any strings attached, using my Wolfram dice.

Guess which one was first? Of course, the Habs. If you have no unemployment insurance, you get 75% of the salary. If you have it, you get 40% - max allowable to still receive unemployment insurance, I believe. And it applies to the Habs employees AND the Laval Rockets. In fairness for comparison's sake, there is no specification of WHEN the staff are to be paid, and the staff still have to pay mortgage/rent, groceries, etc. Plus, it does refer to "cancelled" games - thus far, 0 NHL games have been cancelled. They're all postponed.

Next on the list is the Islanders (or, in this case, the NetsIslanders - Fenway's article talks about Barclay's employees, but I assume there's something similar in NVMC). They get paid for all events until the end of May - unless events are rescheduled "before that". The verbiage in the article is a little muddy - do they have to wait until May to ensure that the event is cancelled and not rescheduled?

Flames: They reversed their earlier decision. They initially announced no payment for cancelled/postponed games after March 12, but reversed the decision by March 15. The article is unclear as to when they get paid, or how much, but there's an "income bridge support group".

Wings: $1 million fund for Wings/Pistons/Tigers staff that would have worked over the next month. Doesn't appear conditional at all - specifically mentions coverage for games that were paused or suspended.

The important thing is that the workers get some reassurance. Honestly, the NHL just needs to cancel the regular season games to remove a lot of the red tape. COVID-19 is not disappearing tomorrow. I believe even the most optimistic projections would have no public events until, at the very earliest, May. Suck it up, stop delaying, and pay the workers.

One other thing: What happened to those three-a-year charity benefits that the Garden was supposed to have? They paid $1.4 million to the state because they failed to do it for 20+ years. Any news on that?

Three organizations 1m ? what a scum bag! He was even on fox the other night and they were saying what a champion he is for his city LOL.

Jacobs is evil

Reactions: Fenian24

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I disagree.

Since Jacobs bought the team in 1975:

Patriots: Eleven Super Bowl appearances, six championships.

Celtics: Eight NBA Finals appearances, five championships.

Red Sox: Six trips to the World Series, four championships.

Bruins: Seven Stanley Cup Final appearances, ONE championship.

I think this has a lot to do with it.

If Jacobs could only stop a puck or score some goals, Lets see how brilliant Kraft is now that Brady is gone. How have the Celtics done without Bird? Red Sox can buy championships so leave them out.

7 stanley cup finals is pretty incredible, not to mention they faced generational teams once they got there.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Most ridiculous thing ever. Henry is a good owner lololololol. He sure loves BOSTON lol He loves taking all the suckers in the city and governments money. Oh and streets and buildings around fenway, the Boston globe..

I get people HATE Jacobs and its their choice but stop with the bullshit that the other owner LOVE BOSTON BACK.
The “new” Red Sox ownership “cared” enough to go all in on winning a championship. Four times.

The Jacobs family cares nothing about winning. If the Bruins stumble into a championship, fine. If not, whatever. They’re making money.

The ownership groups of the other teams at least maintain some kind of pretense of wanting to win. John Henry might be a buffoon, but the Red Sox have FOUR TIMES as many championships on his watch as the Bruins have on Jacobs’, and the Bruins are a Nathan Horton Game 7 OT goal away from having NOTHING since 1972.

I LOVE the Bruins and the game of hockey, but I have a deep-seated strenuous dislike of Jeremy Jacobs and his son. They don’t win, don’t care about winning, and don’t even pretend to care about their customers. In a sense I admire their honesty, but they’re just the worst kind of people.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
The “new” Red Sox ownership “cared” enough to go all in on winning a championship. Four times.

The Jacobs family cares nothing about winning. If the Bruins stumble into a championship, fine. If not, whatever. They’re making money.

The ownership groups of the other teams at least maintain some kind of pretense of wanting to win. John Henry might be a buffoon, but the Red Sox have FOUR TIMES as many championships on his watch as the Bruins have on Jacobs’, and the Bruins are a Nathan Horton Game 7 OT goal away from having NOTHING since 1972.

I LOVE the Bruins and the game of hockey, but I have a deep-seated strenuous dislike of Jeremy Jacobs and his son. They don’t win, don’t care about winning, and don’t even pretend to care about their customers. In a sense I admire their honesty, but they’re just the worst kind of people.

I get it you hate them but its apples and oranges comparing if how or when different sports go about winning a championship.

Bird steals the ball

Brady invents the tuck rule

Roberts safe at second

so on and so on. To say the Bruins stumble into a championship is laughable, yet you praise the other owners for their luck?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I get it you hate them but its apples and oranges comparing if how or when different sports go about winning a championship.

Bird steals the ball

Brady invents the tuck rule

Roberts safe at second

so on and so on. To say the Bruins stumble into a championship is laughable, yet you praise the other owners for their luck?

Not true. Was called against the Pats earlier in the season with them losing out on a turnover because of it. So the precedent was already set that this was a real rule.

Reactions: rfournier103

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Not true. Was called against the Pats earlier in the season with them losing out on a turnover because of it. So the precedent was already set that this was a real rule.
Came to say this.

And Bird stealing the ball never led to a championship.

And Roberts stealing second wasn’t luck. It was a great play.

Reactions: Strafer

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
That's a lot of anger for 6 home games. That's what's left. 6 home games. If that staff can't pay their bills because of 6 days of work? 3 weeks with one game per. 1 week with 3 games.

Lots of people just lost their jobs without notice, no medical, no unemployment, no insurance... nada.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
That's a lot of anger for 6 home games. That's what's left. 6 home games. If that staff can't pay their bills because of 6 days of work? 3 weeks with one game per. 1 week with 3 games.

Lots of people just lost their jobs without notice, no medical, no unemployment, no insurance... nada.

And why I called it a political hit job from Healey and I hope Jacobs hits back. To single him out was lazy and headline grabbing, Not saying I don't care about the game day workers (most are are second jobs) her office should be spending resources going after the hoarders and the grocery stores that are making Millions on scared to death citizens yet are doing NOTHING to protect customers while in their stores.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Came to say this.

My point was thoses plays could have went either way. Your hate for the Jacobs family (would love to know what they did to most personally that they hate them so much) has you comparing wins and loses on ownership and in my opinion is ridiculous unless you can provide first hand proof that he stop any transaction from happening that cost the Bruins a championship

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Came to say this.

Exactly. It was also the ALCS, not the world series. And the tuck rule game was the AFC divisional, not even the AFC championship game. Had to win the AFC title the following week just to get to the Super Bowl.

Reactions: rfournier103

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
then this should have been easy for them right?

Where is the shaming of the other big corporation in Boston? Thats all Im saying. Jacobs was a low hanging fruit and the AG should have stfu and use her resources to help all of Massachusetts not just the TD part timers.

Like I said in past post she must be getting ready to run for governor ,this stunt will work well in her first political ad. I can hear it now "standing up for the small people" lol

The Jacobs are a small pea in the money game in this state. I do applaud her PR staff smart planning.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Where is the shaming of the other big corporation in Boston? Thats all Im saying. Jacobs was a low hanging fruit and the AG should have stfu and use her resources to help all of Massachusetts not just the TD part timers.

Like I said in past post she must be getting ready to run for governor ,this stunt will work well in her first political ad. I can hear it now "standing up for the small people" lol

The Jacobs are a small pea in the money game in this state. I do applaud her PR staff smart planning.

Last team in the league to do this, and it comes with a ton of qualifiers. Hardly the benevolent gesture of goodwill and support for the little people that make them so much of their fortune, no? You say they give away so much, so show me where? Last time I can recall was a hospital wing a long time ago in Buffalo, where their stupid name was being attached to it and that "donation" was dwarfed by PK Subban's donation to a hospital in MTL while he was a member of the Habs.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Way back in 1979 I wanted to take my the GF Annie to NY for a Red Sox/NYY weekend in the Bronx but she was hesitant because she was fearful of NY itself let alone Yankee Stadium and I told her it would be fine.

Back then tickets were all mail order and for some reason, I sent our ticket request by mail addressed to George Steinbrenner, Yankee Stadium, Bronx, NY with a note expressing her concern and included a blank check. A week later the tickets arrived and my check uncashed was returned to me. The seats were in the mezzanine which was considered luxury boxes at the time.

Just before the Sunday afternoon game someone from the Yankees came to the seats with a bouquet of flowers for Annie and said they were from Mr. Steinbrenner.

Let's just say Annie was impressed on a scale similar to this

6-29-1979 BOX+PBP At NY A W 3- 2 (13) 46-27 Drago (7-3) Kaat (1-1) 53306 3:50 night
6-30-1979 BOX+PBP At NY A W 3- 2 47-27 Stanley (9-5) Tiant (4-3) 50253 2:03 day
7- 1-1979 BOX+PBP At NY A L 5- 6 47-28 Davis (7-0) Eckersley (8-4) Kaat (1) 51246 2:30 day
7- 2-1979 BOX+PBP At NY A L 2- 7 47-29 John (12-3) Finch (0-1) 51211 2:26 night

What an absolute class act. That is so cool.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Way back in 1979 I wanted to take my the GF Annie to NY for a Red Sox/NYY weekend in the Bronx but she was hesitant because she was fearful of NY itself let alone Yankee Stadium and I told her it would be fine.

Back then tickets were all mail order and for some reason, I sent our ticket request by mail addressed to George Steinbrenner, Yankee Stadium, Bronx, NY with a note expressing her concern and included a blank check. A week later the tickets arrived and my check uncashed was returned to me. The seats were in the mezzanine which was considered luxury boxes at the time.

Just before the Sunday afternoon game someone from the Yankees came to the seats with a bouquet of flowers for Annie and said they were from Mr. Steinbrenner.

Let's just say Annie was impressed on a scale similar to this

6-29-1979 BOX+PBP At NY A W 3- 2 (13) 46-27 Drago (7-3) Kaat (1-1) 53306 3:50 night
6-30-1979 BOX+PBP At NY A W 3- 2 47-27 Stanley (9-5) Tiant (4-3) 50253 2:03 day
7- 1-1979 BOX+PBP At NY A L 5- 6 47-28 Davis (7-0) Eckersley (8-4) Kaat (1) 51246 2:30 day
7- 2-1979 BOX+PBP At NY A L 2- 7 47-29 John (12-3) Finch (0-1) 51211 2:26 night

That is a beautiful story Kevin, thanks for sharing!
Didn't Mr. Steinbrenner build the Steinbrenner athletic facility at MIT? I've skated there and I can attest to the fact that it's a class A building.
I have a (local) retired cop friend who was invited to try out for the Seattle Mariners back in the day. He's a huge Yankees fan and has pointed out various things about the Yankees and Mr Steinbrenner that would put the Red Sox to shame. As great an owner and person George Steinbrenner way, Jeremy Jacobs and family are the polar opposite. I've had that opinion since the 80s because of the skinflint way he ran the Bruins pre-cap era. Because of that I spend very little to go to games and when I do go as a chaperone for my wife's school I buy only a couple drinks and a hotdog or two. I just can NOT justify in my mind giving my money to a scummy family like them. The other thing about them is that they have NO love for the Bruins or Boston yet they made sure that they got their names on the cup. I would guess that all SC winning teams put the owners names on the cup but there's something that smells about them doing it because of their disinterest in the community. And before anyone says that they allow their employees to run events for local charities, IMO that's just them doing the bare minimum to keep their image up. Now that the shit has hit the fan and word is out on them we'll see if they do the right things but I fully expect the bare minimum but with full media coverage.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
That is a beautiful story Kevin, thanks for sharing!
Didn't Mr. Steinbrenner build the Steinbrenner athletic facility at MIT? I've skated there and I can attest to the fact that it's a class A building.
I have a (local) retired cop friend who was invited to try out for the Seattle Mariners back in the day. He's a huge Yankees fan and has pointed out various things about the Yankees and Mr Steinbrenner that would put the Red Sox to shame. As great an owner and person George Steinbrenner way, Jeremy Jacobs and family are the polar opposite. I've had that opinion since the 80s because of the skinflint way he ran the Bruins pre-cap era. Because of that I spend very little to go to games and when I do go as a chaperone for my wife's school I buy only a couple drinks and a hotdog or two. I just can NOT justify in my mind giving my money to a scummy family like them. The other thing about them is that they have NO love for the Bruins or Boston yet they made sure that they got their names on the cup. I would guess that all SC winning teams put the owners names on the cup but there's something that smells about them doing it because of their disinterest in the community. And before anyone says that they allow their employees to run events for local charities, IMO that's just them doing the bare minimum to keep their image up. Now that the shit has hit the fan and word is out on them we'll see if they do the right things but I fully expect the bare minimum but with full media coverage.

You guys all know Steinbrenner was a convicted felon, right?

Reactions: BMC

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
The games are likely to be played. So the delay on paying is the issue. Even if they get cancelled, the delay is still the issue.
The games are not going to be played, unless they just say everyone go back to work and what ever happens ,happens.
If they really try to stop this thing, we are talking months of social distancing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad