Management Update- TD Garden ushers receive more bad news, they’ve been laid off

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
So I was thinking that since the NHL is talking July as the restart time maybe that would be enough time to upgrade the ice-making equipment at TD Garden!!? Then, I thought twice about it and realized that pooooor Mr. Jacobs is bleeding money. What was I thinking!?!?!?:rolleyes:

Reactions: Maine Fan and BMC

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
So I was thinking that since the NHL is talking July as the restart time maybe that would be enough time to upgrade the ice-making equipment at TD Garden!!? Then, I thought twice about it and realized that pooooor Mr. Jacobs is bleeding money. What was I thinking!?!?!?:rolleyes:

This would theoretically be a GREAT time to get a lot of infrastructure projects done - rip out the seats and put in version 3.0 (which are worse), fix the ice, get a good scoreboard, etc. Heck, in a broader sense outside of the Garden, it'd be a perfect time to do upkeep on roads and the T.

Unfortunately, obviously with COVID going around, there's no way that's feasible. One thought: If they do find antibodies, and they figure out that it's like chicken pox in that it's rare as hen's teeth to get infected a second time, you could START the "return to normalcy" NOT by having mass gatherings at the Garden, but buy allowing workers who have a positive titer to do these types of projects.

That said, I think that's way out in the calendar. And Jacobs doesn't seem to give a damn about his perception in Boston. He knows he's the villain in this city, and probably the most hated owner of the big four. Kraft can get a pass for anything he does by holding up his five* rings, and John Henry can always use his media empire to help shine his image a little. The Celtics are owned by an amorphous blobfish that nobody seems to notice.

*Yes, he only has five.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
This would theoretically be a GREAT time to get a lot of infrastructure projects done - rip out the seats and put in version 3.0 (which are worse), fix the ice, get a good scoreboard, etc. Heck, in a broader sense outside of the Garden, it'd be a perfect time to do upkeep on roads and the T.

Unfortunately, obviously with COVID going around, there's no way that's feasible. One thought: If they do find antibodies, and they figure out that it's like chicken pox in that it's rare as hen's teeth to get infected a second time, you could START the "return to normalcy" NOT by having mass gatherings at the Garden, but buy allowing workers who have a positive titer to do these types of projects.

That said, I think that's way out in the calendar. And Jacobs doesn't seem to give a damn about his perception in Boston. He knows he's the villain in this city, and probably the most hated owner of the big four. Kraft can get a pass for anything he does by holding up his five* rings, and John Henry can always use his media empire to help shine his image a little. The Celtics are owned by an amorphous blobfish that nobody seems to notice.

*Yes, he only has five.

Probably? I will grant you all of them have some warts but I'm sure they don't kick puppies and steal candy from babies like JJ

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

*Yes, he only has five.

What, you mean this guy?

NKhTPKO.jpg

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
As a big Bruins fan, it's disappointing to be a fan of a winning franchise with a horrible owner. I love hockey and the Boston Bruins, so I can't do what I would usually do, walk away.

I do think, we fans, should send a message to Jacobs. The Message would be an empty house on the opening home game after new start from the virus.

Hnidy Hnight

Dec 21, 2006
North of Boston, MA
As a big Bruins fan, it's disappointing to be a fan of a winning franchise with a horrible owner. I love hockey and the Boston Bruins, so I can't do what I would usually do, walk away.

I do think, we fans, should send a message to Jacobs. The Message would be an empty house on the opening home game after new start from the virus.
Ideally, I agree. But hockey is like crack to us. Back in the late 90’s we had kind of a soft boycott movement. Go to the games if you want, but just don’t buy any concessions. It never worked out. Dafoe, Guerin, and Allison all left over money. As long the team is good, the building will be full

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Ideally, I agree. But hockey is like crack to us. Back in the late 90’s we had kind of a soft boycott movement. Go to the games if you want, but just don’t buy any concessions. It never worked out. Dafoe, Guerin, and Allison all left over money. As long the team is good, the building will be full

I know these actions are challenging to arrange, implement, and to achieve the results desired in the end. It was a flashing thought.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

The Jacobs family operate in areas in which public brand/image is almost meaningless and they know it. The Bruins will always have more than enough fans willing to cough up money, plus they can rely on most people dissociating their love for the team from its owners. And Delaware North relies entirely on commercial contracts. The people they do business with care nothing about image - as long as Delaware can deliver what they want in their venues and other facilities at an attractive price, then they'll keep their existing contracts and continue to gain new ones. Like any business, no matter how well-positioned, they have vulnerabilities, but their brand image isn't one of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad