Management Update- TD Garden ushers receive more bad news, they’ve been laid off

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
@Aussie Bruin Doesn't Jacobs have Marvel Stadium?

upload_2020-3-21_0-37-0.png

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
It seems to me that the Jacobs family are long past giving a damn what anyone in the media and fanbase think about them. They know they are guaranteed full houses in Boston for as long as there are games to be played, and Delaware are well and truly entrenched as one of the world's largest service and hospitality companies, so image means almost nothing to them.

My guess is that they will actually eventually offer some sort of financial support to their affected staff, but it will be desultory, limited and on their own terms. Such a shame, really feel for those staff who are caught up in this.

Well, this would put us back in 1991. Jacobs is the person he is. Yet, when he got his hard cap, he spent to it, which one must note. Also, after the disaterous latter day Sinden years, he, and son Charlie, looked outside the organization for help.

They found a very capable manager in Peter Chiarelli, and, eventually, an excellent coach in Claude Julien.

My sense nonetheless, is, and always will be, that Jeremy Jacobs is about the dollars. First, last, always.

It's not nice to say, but I also believe he's an awful person.

Sorry.

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
@Aussie Bruin I have always enjoyed watching it and right now it is the only game on the planet :help:

View attachment 337997

Always nice to find an overseas fan of our local game! It's a great sport and it's nice to have something that's uniquely ours. Hockey will always be my no. 1, but AFL has long been a passion and it's the sport I grew up with. And indeed it's standing almost alone at the moment. I'm 99% sure it's going to have to stop too at some point, and I'm not convinced it's wise for them to keep playing, but it is useful in providing some entertainment and distraction at a time when there's not much else going on.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
From what I remember hearing on local news, Healy and the commonwealth of Massachusetts could be threatening to prosecute Jacobs within the week if he doesn't pay his staff.

What Delaware North is doing by not paying their employees is shameful, disgraceful, and petty.

That said, the Attorney General and/or any other government officials or office have zero business or right to prosecute a private enterprise to pay their employees in a situation like this

sisu

Jun 2, 2008
boston, ma
This angers me beyond words. This family of ass clowns shouldn't own the Boston Bruins. I used to say as long as he spends to the cap I don't care about anything else. That was wrong. This is a disgrace. The Boston Bruins are an original 6 franchise in a great American city that loves hockey...our owner doesn't give a shit about that, he doesn't give a shit about his own employees or the fans that he overcharges. All he cares about is himself and money.

The Boston Bruins should be a first class organization but they aren't because of the owner. There's no way he should get away with this, not in this city. People here are outspoken and educated and this is a complete f***ing joke. Embarrassing.

i wish the globe had the guts to put these words on the front page

Reactions: Strafer

KingKrug47

May 21, 2019
Absolutely shameful. I love this team but this leaves a sour taste in my mouth. The Jacob's are such greedy money bags. Any outlash they receive from casuals and even non sports fans as this hits the news is well deserved

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

Seems to be a lot of weasel words in this statement. Hope they take care of people and don't use any loopholes to avoid taking care of those people:

The Jacobs Family has established a $1.5 million fund for the Boston Bruins and TD Garden part-time gameday associates who will be financially burdened if the six remaining regular season Bruins games are not played. We thank our associates for their patience and understanding while we worked through the complexity of this unprecedented situation.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Who “will be” Financially burdened?! My union brothers and sisters are already feeling the pinch pretty heavily.

sounds like everything is business as usual unless the nhl cancels the season altogether.

Reactions: Strafer and LSCII

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
It’s all good. That’s a great thing they did . I was very critical of them. I admit it but it’s a very good thing they did. I just wished they did it sooner but that’s not the point. As long as everybody gets taken care of is all that matters in the long run it’s all good.

Reactions: Kovi

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
For Heaven's sake, stop bitching. They stepped up and did what needed to be done.
Ya know....none of us has been in this situation EVER. And, I'm pretty sure you cant just snap your fingers and move money....its not all cash in hand and things have to be put into place.
You complaining is just adding to the manifestation of bad energy.

Let them work it out, they seem to be finding a path to help. Good on them.

Reactions: BMC and Alicat

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Sad that public pressure for this ownership group to act like decent human beings had to be the catalyst for them to finally take care of the people who make it all go. Can't really give them credit for this at all, but that's because of their own crappy inaction.

Reactions: Strafer and Pia8988

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
For Heaven's sake, stop bitching. They stepped up and did what needed to be done.
Ya know....none of us has been in this situation EVER. And, I'm pretty sure you cant just snap your fingers and move money....its not all cash in hand and things have to be put into place.

there’s nothing to work out. You have the means, and boy do they ever, and you have a small group of people that helped get you where you are that are struggling, so you help first and “work it out” later

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

didn’t seem to impact literally every other franchise, all of which acted much more swiftly

And without “bitching” I’m not sure they ever set this up

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
didn’t seem to impact literally every other franchise, all of which acted much more swiftly

And without “bitching” I’m not sure they ever set this up

the guy is a billionaire who’s made a fortune off Bruins fans, you’d think he’d want to help HIS people.

I’ve hated this guy for a long time and have been told he’s changed, or it was Sinden, or whatever...no it’s JJ being JJ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad