Management Update- TD Garden ushers receive more bad news, they’ve been laid off

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
I have been a fan of this team for 45 years now. This does not surprise me and should not surprise anyone. This ownership has long been as low a family and owner in the history of all of sports can go. Not surprised the kid is like the old man. No matter how much they have or own, they will always be curb dwellers.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Nobody should be surprised at this not even the employees left hanging.

Now maybe Delaware North doesn't have the cash on hand to pay the help but the Jacobs family are billionaires. It wouldn't be the first time a business owner has had to take money out of his/her own pocket to pay employees and other ongoing expenses, it happens more often that people realize.

At the very least DN should announce what they're doing or not going to do so their employees can file for unemployment or other assistance.

Reactions: rfournier103

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I hope I get the chance to laugh my ass off when they announce a bigger better plan than anyone else. What are the Celtic owners offering up?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
First, the Globe asked then the Herald and now Channel 4.

This is not Papa Jacobs doing - This is on Charlie. We know they are on the hook to replace the seats in the balcony and now they are looking at playoff revenue vanishing from both the Bruins and Celtics.

It's pretty bad when even the Ottawa owner pledged to do something.

Bruins Are Only NHL Team Not To Announce Plan To Help Stadium Workers During Coronavirus Crisis

BOSTON (CBS) — All but one NHL team has announced a plan to provide financial assistance for part-time arena employees during the league’s coronavirus stoppage. That one team is the Boston Bruins.

No Bruins fan will be shocked to hear this unfortunate news.

The TD Garden is owned by Delaware North, a hospitality and food service company run by notoriously frugal Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs and his family. There has been no announcement how the company will help TD Garden workers who are now out of a job after the league halted the season due to the coronavirus pandemic, only a statement to the Boston Herald that the company was “actively exploring support options” for stadium employees.

They promised more information would follow, but that was a week ago. In the meantime, workers now out of work have bills to pay, and they’re not sure how that will get done. TD Garden employees voiced their concern over the team’s silence to the Boston Herald on Thursday.

“This experience has been hell for me personally,” a worker at the Legends restaurant inside TD Garden told the Herald. “My biggest fear is always being homeless again.”

The Bruins had six more home games on their regular season schedule, with a potential deep playoff run to follow. There is no word on when the NHL could return, but it won’t be any time soon.

Neither the team nor Delaware North returned a call from the Herald on Thursday.

TD Garden employees frustrated with lack of communication

what a horrible look

Reactions: rfournier103

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, this isn't surprising at all. The Jacobs family has had the reputation of being cheapskates for so long that I'm sure any kind of backlash just doesn't phase them at all.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I think it’s too late now. If JJ makes a move here to pay, it’s gonna fall on deaf ears and be seen as reactionary due to the bad PR. If he does nothing, it’s expected.

he loses either way at this point. The only reason he turns charitable now is out of the goodness of his heart and to know that he did the right thing.

I can tell you right now that should the concessions staff end up receiving any help, I’ll be donating whatever i get. I don’t work more than maybe two games a month so I’m not missing out as bad as the rest.

Reactions: BMC

EvilElf63

Mar 27, 2012
Catskills
But don't they understand the backlash will have negative financial consequences on them? Or are those consequences so little it doesn't matter? Don't you think at least some of the other owners are doing this, not because they are kind, but because they realize in the long term it will be better for their bottom line (lasting effects of positive brand association etc)?

It seems to me they're harming themselves (in the wallet no-less!) as well as all the affected workers and their families.

Reactions: BMC and Strafer

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
But don't they understand the backlash will have negative financial consequences on them? Or are those consequences so little it doesn't matter? Don't you think at least some of the other owners are doing this, not because they are kind, but because they realize in the long term it will be better for their bottom line (lasting effects of positive brand association etc)?

It seems to me they're harming themselves (in the wallet no-less!) as well as all the affected workers and their families.
Will it though? The team is great right now, they're going to do very well regardless. It's just the sad reality of it.

Reactions: Strafer

EvilElf63

Mar 27, 2012
Catskills
Will it though? The team is great right now, they're going to do very well regardless. It's just the sad reality of it.
Their inaction really suggests that you're right- that the financial consequences will be minimal and worth the bad PR. I just find that hard to believe (and a sad reflection on us). I guess it's one thing to voice displeasure for free on twitter, or HF boards for that matter, and quite another thing to cut the Bruins out of your wallet. It just seems bizarre to me, for them to contrast with EVERY OTHER ownership group which deems the PR benefit to outweigh the immediate financial costs.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

how many years have they been at the top of the concessions game? They know exactly what they’re doing. Prices go up on almost everything, 25 cents each summer, and everyone complains. Sales haven’t taken a hit in the five years I’ve been doing it.

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Savvy business people...check

Community minded ...nope

Maximize short term profits...check

Build long term loyalty...nope

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Always has been. We’ve just had a good window after he spearheaded the effort to break the PA losing a season in the process, removed Sinden, and signed the best defensive player in NHL history to go with some other nice pieces. Season ticket holders also enjoyed reasonable prices for a good 5-6 years of that.

We have the best team in the NHL and stand to benefit from the frugality as fans when we look at the roster and payroll compared to other teams so it is what it is. Chicago might still be contending if Kane and Toews took Marchand/Bergy deals. Obviously JJ needs to do the right thing here but let’s also hope these folks get to work a ton of games into the summer like they did last year.

There is only one thing that matters here and it's not getting done. All that the Bruins have accomplished doesn't matter.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Exactly. We're beholden to them. Jacobs could go out and kill a bunch of puppies, and for as much as we bluster that "they just lost a customer!", when the puck drops and the Bruins are in the Stanley Cup playoffs as the top seed, we're all going to tune in and watch. It's a captive audience.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
This is embarrassing as a Bruins fan. The Jacob's should be much more embarrassed than the fans but obviously they're not.

May 9, 2010
Weymouth
Let me preface this with something: YES, they should be paying their employees for the hours that get cancelled.

I'm thinking about why they wouldn't do this and realized that this is a somewhat complicated matter. These are questions I had in my head about this and I'd love someone to help explain some things to me:

Since Delaware North owns the Bruins, would the Bruins be paying the workers or would it be coming from Delaware North? If it's Delaware North, are they then going to have to go ahead and pay employees at other arenas/stadiums? Like will Petco Park concession workers revolt because the Bruins concession workers got paid?

What about Celtics games or concerts lost? Delaware North on the hook for those?

What happens if the games get rescheduled (I doubt this will happen for regular season)? Do the employees come in having already been paid?

Once again, I'm not siding with the Jacobs' on this. These are things I'm genuinely curious about. I've bought enough $15 beers over the years to know they have the money.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Since Delaware North owns the Bruins, would the Bruins be paying the workers or would it be coming from Delaware North? If it's Delaware North, are they then going to have to go ahead and pay employees at other arenas/stadiums? Like will Petco Park concession workers revolt because the Bruins concession workers got paid?

But Delaware North does NOT own the Bruins - The Jacobs family does.

They are masters of accounting voodoo but anyone who works at the Garden knows that there is a big difference between being a Garden employee or a Bruins employee.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
It’s hilarious how obsessed big business is with avoiding taxation and regulation, yet simultaneously feels it has no role to play in times like these.

Money and power lies in the private sector within our country. That would be theoretically okay if said sector put forth any sort of collective effort during a crisis like this, but it instead throws it back to an underfunded public sector which it considers nothing but an obstacle and useless otherwise.

The Jacobs family personifies this phenomenon. This farce that somehow everyone obsessing over their own personal interests is what leads to collective prosperity. Good luck with that system being at all sustainable when a slight curveball gets thrown.

Jacobs family needs to step the f*** up. Now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad