News Article: UPDATE (suspended until 1/2/20): Blackhawks investigating allegations against Marc Crawford

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
This isn't hard. He is speaking out and telling others not to follow his path. Should a killer in prison not be able
to speak to the youth to not follow in their foot steps?

Also, is any other former player
taking action against the league and standing up for the players? Montador can't, because he's dead, Carcillo was his best friend. If other
players were stepping up to the fight, you could ignore Carcillo, but no one is.

It's all fine for him to do it. I just have a hard time taking carcillo
seriously, that's all.
It's always easy to tell people to not follow in ones footsteps.
I hope he continues his great work then.

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
In all of this, this really is what people want to see: receipts. He's taken responsibility, admitted it was wrong, and has receipts to prove that he's gotten help.

This revelation is the best-case scenario for the Hawks' PR department, but also serves as a decent answer to "what the hell are these people looking for?!"

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
This isn't hard. He is speaking out and telling others not to follow his path. Should a killer in prison not be able to speak to the youth to not follow in their foot steps?

Also, is any other former player taking action against the league and standing up for the players? Montador can't, because he's dead, Carcillo was his best friend. If other players were stepping up to the fight, you could ignore Carcillo, but no one is.
That is basically what it is. Carcillo is like a killer in prison advocating for change. Its a weird situation because his dirty play must have caused many concussions and head trauma.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Why do we think Crawford will be a good head coach?

This is not a loaded Nordiques/Avalanche team.

The last 12 seasons that Crawford coached he got past the 1st round ONCE.
The record also includes a 1st round sweep and missing the playoffs 7 TIMES. 8 out of 12 seasons without a playoff win.

That might be the reason he hasn't been an NHL head coach for 9 years.

Hard pass.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009

The record also includes a 1st round sweep and missing the playoffs 7 TIMES. 8 out of 12 seasons without a playoff win.

Hard pass.
It's hard to imagine him doing worse than JC.

I think, if they move on from JC in-season, they may make Crawford the interim HC. If the team doesn't thrive under him, they can look at some of the possible HC candidates that are currently assistants on other teams.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I still take my chances with JC. When you compare early points in their respective coaching careers, there is nothing to distinguish that DeBoer, Boucher, Laviolette or Crawford among others would become the "better" coaches that some think them to be.

JC trajectory compares very favorably

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
The thing with Carcillo is if what he says in the pod about how the players are evaluated for injuries is true, the teams are just as responsible if not more for clearing and not treating injured players.

We’ll find out more with the Montador trial, read somewhere it might be over a year from now.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019

Hard pass.

I looked it up during the Mike Babcock debate and only one coach has one the cup with different franchises in the expansion era or past 50ish years: Scotty Bowman.

People always advocate for hiring former Cup winning coaches, but unless it's Scotty chances are they won't win again. You're better off looking for the next great coach than hiring a formerly great one. And you have to have the right coach for the right team.

None of the guys currently in the NHL coaching carousel are likely to win again. And that's probably especially true of ones that don't currently have head coaching gigs. The list includes Babs, Carlyle, Sutter (retired), Hitch, Bylsma and Crawford.

Active cup winners with new teams include Trotz, Laviollette, Julien, Tortorella and Q.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Can’t ask for much more from him in this situation. He didn’t place blame elsewhere, took responsibility for all his actions and is actively seeking help to become a better person and coach. Checks every box for me.

But that begs the question... why even suspended him until the second? It seems like the hawks were well aware of all of this. Maybe more of a “Just take the holidays off until this cools down”?
Yep. None of this was out of nowhere. Crawford shouldn’t be suspended. It very much feels like a hey this was shitty for everybody, enjoy your holiday kinda thing.

He did everything right of his own volition before it was something people cared about. It’s like going after an addict for possession after they’ve been clean for a decade.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Hard pass.

It’s not that he’s a good coach. He’s just got the resume to be a respected enough interim coach. I’m fine with JC for the rest of the year for the record.

Edit: The other in-house options are Sheldon Brookbank who seems completely unqualified and Tomas Mittel who is here because he’s JC’s guy which would be complete lunacy.

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Honestly this is better news than I expected. Drinking issues are never good but this is something he can recover from. I think he will be an NHL coach again.

It's not necessarily just drinking issues... but likely something he did as a result of a drinking problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad