News Article: UPDATE (suspended until 1/2/20): Blackhawks investigating allegations against Marc Crawford

Rinkrat21

Dec 12, 2019
Not only do we have a Crawford return date, we have a Colliton firing date.
Unless something turns around in a major way, very possible. 6 of the next 8 games until this date are tough matchups. Considering the way they have been playing, its hard to see them doing any better than 4-4 at best.

Would that be enough for JC to keep his job?

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Unless something turns around in a major way, very possible. 6 of the next 8 games until this date are tough matchups. Considering the way they have been playing, its hard to see them doing any better than 4-4 at best.

Would that be enough for JC to keep his job?

Probably yes on 4-4. I don't actually expect Colliton to be fired on Jan. 3 but if they go on a 5+ losing streak then maybe.

At an even record he will probably get until the end of the year and the Hawks have options then. That's assuming they are normal losses.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Carcillo preaching about others taking responsibility for their wrongdoings is beyond ridiculous.

Sure, but for a guy whose modus operandi the past few years has been to throw verbal haymakers at anything NHL-related and Blackhawks-affiliated as a sign of how little the higher ups are really doing to protect players to instead stop and give some encouraging words about Crawford is pretty telling.

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
Hes owned up to how he played, he's doing everything he can to try to change things for the better. Are people not allowed to redeem themselves?

Point taken dude but ... context kinda matters too.
Carcillo wasn't exactly ever a candidate for Lady Byng, just seems kinda seamy him weighing in on the matter.

This all a sudden "touchy feely" hockey stuff - and stories from many years gone (again, context) ...
I get it ... times change & I'm no way endorsing brutish coaches or their behavior, but some sports more, "masculine" for lack of a better word, than others. Hockey at - or at least near - the top of the list.

I never had a sadistic coach but even the "sane" ones I did, at times did sh*t that would - in today's environment - have gotten them in deep it ever caught on camera. I neither have "psychological scars" from, nor would ever "out" them for what took place.

I respect different takes on the subject but - hope - ones not exactly "politically correct" allowed part of the ongoing conversation.

Last edited:

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
I mean, I honestly respect Crawford way more now than I did before the hire. Good on ya Marc.
Can’t ask for much more from him in this situation. He didn’t place blame elsewhere, took responsibility for all his actions and is actively seeking help to become a better person and coach. Checks every box for me.

But that begs the question... why even suspended him until the second? It seems like the hawks were well aware of all of this. Maybe more of a “Just take the holidays off until this cools down”?

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Hes owned up to how he played, he's doing everything he can to try to change things for the better. Are people not allowed to redeem themselves?
I Dont have a link but on a podcast he did that was linked here, he laid most of the blame for his behavior on being abused himself. That, to me, is not taking responsibility.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
This. and there's NO WAY the Hawks promote Crawford after this slap on the wrist. Let's not forget MCDLT runs this team.
Actually Gary, this sets up as very marketable for McD. Bad guy gets help, pays penance, comes back with a white hat and resumes his career.

And at this point, I'd welcome seeing what he can do to get these guys to row in the same direction. God knows JC doesn't have the ear of the team.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I Dont have a link but on a podcast he did that was linked here, he laid most of the blame for his behavior on being abused himself. That, to me, is not taking responsibility.

It seems like he identified the problem and is now fighting against it. Nobody ever asked to be abused growing up. I would like to listen to that podcast if you can remember where it came from.

In many cases, abused people just continue the cycle, so that would be Carcillo becoming a coach and doing that to his players and/or children. Take it out on the people who deserve it, not innocent bystanders.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
It seems like he identified the problem and is now fighting against it. Nobody ever asked to be abused growing up. I would like to listen to that podcast if you can remember where it came from.

In many cases, abused people just continue the cycle, so that would be Carcillo becoming a coach and doing that to his players and/or children. Take it out on the people who deserve it, not innocent bystanders.
Here you go. To me, the problem is in the first minute, when he says hes guilty, and immediately says that is what the hockey world turned him in to.

Compare it to Crawford, who lays the blame nowhere except in his own behavior.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Here you go. To me, the problem is in the first minute, when he says hes guilty, and immediately says that is what the hockey world turned him in to.

Thanks. Do you have the Crawford one? I’d like to compare. I’ll throw it on in the car on my lunch break.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

Listened the first half, he got into the concussion stuff about 10 minutes in away.

It was good to hear his candor about the hazing. There is/was clearly a problem with hazing in the hockey community. From what I have read and heard, it often involves nudity, sexual assault and humiliation. He corroborated other people’s stories and that was good.

He did not mention any hazing he participated in from the other side, as a perpetrator. He definitely should have said one way or the other whether he was part of it. He did make himself out to be a victim only. Yeah, he mentioned about being turned into a psycho on the ice. For me, the enforcer role was a way for lesser skilled players to differentiate themselves and realize their dream of going pro. We can argue that it isn’t worth head hunting fellow players to get there. It’s an unsavory part of the game. Personally, I cut him and others a lot of slack there. On the ice, it was the way the game was played and everyone knew it. I don’t think too many people liked seeing scrubs play a part in derailing the careers of superstars, so as he said, the play is now more of a speed and skill game.

Obviously, by bringing attention to himself with this issue, if any players feel like speaking out against his hits or fighting, they can do that and he should answer to it if they do.

I don’t know whether he is a hypocrite or not with the hazing stuff. He should talk about that. Feel bad for him for what he went through with it, but I don’t view him as a victim as much as a whistle blower. It is hard to talk about the stuff he is talking about and he is risking any future career in pro hockey in doing it.

Oh yeah, he also mentioned the slurs at the beginning. It would have been nice if he talked more about that and why he stopped using them. I do agree that he very much glossed over anything he did to other players and did not explain why it was wrong and how he now knows that.

Last edited:

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
No excuse for crawfords past behavior. If the hawks truly feel he's contrite then he deserves to come back on Jan 2nd. As far as carcillo I'm torn on anything he ever says. Just the way he played gets me.
The pot calling the kettle black.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
No excuse for crawfords past behavior. If the hawks truly feel he's contrite then he deserves to come back on Jan 2nd. As far as carcillo I'm torn on anything he ever says. Just the way he played gets me.
The pot calling the kettle black.
This isn't hard. He is speaking out and telling others not to follow his path. Should a killer in prison not be able to speak to the youth to not follow in their foot steps?

Also, is any other former player taking action against the league and standing up for the players? Montador can't, because he's dead, Carcillo was his best friend. If other players were stepping up to the fight, you could ignore Carcillo, but no one is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad