Confirmed with Link: Update: 9/15 | Capitals Relieve Todd Reirden of Coaching Duties | Hire Laviolette as new HC

Who do you want to be the next coach of the Washington Capitals?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It's the same situation as Trotz leaving the Caps, no? Once they are coaching a different team, the original team is no longer on the hook for the previous contract?
Trotz wasn't fired, he resigned his contract and the Capitals allowed the termination of his contract and for him to pursue jobs elsewhere. Caps aren't on the hook for anything.

Reactions: tenken00

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Trotz wasn't fired, he resigned his contract and the Capitals allowed the termination of his contract and for him to pursue jobs elsewhere. Caps aren't on the hook for anything.
And I'm sure they are regretting the decision to let him go.
I'm sure there is alot more to the story than what you are saying. It was very clear that the Caps wanted Reirden as the head coach.
They blew it. They should have given Trotz the money he deserved.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
And I'm sure they are regretting the decision to let him go.
I'm sure there is alot more to the story than what you are saying. It was very clear that the Caps wanted Reirden as the head coach.
They blew it. They should have given Trotz the money he deserved.

Every fan base in the NHL knows it was a mistake letting Trotz go (especially the Isles), I don't get why some Caps fans can't admit it was a mistake.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
I think the Caps regret hiring Trots in the first place. 1 Cup in 4 years and almost fired 2 or 3 times? Caps needed Lavi and I was pro-hire Lavi when they picked the easy-going player's coach. If they thought Trots was instrumental in the Cup win, they would of extended him.

2017WashingtonCaps

Apr 17, 2017
I just want a coach that will give Alex the best shot at breaking Gretzky’s record. Yes, with a SC already in 2018, that’s exactly what I’d prioritize. There will always be opportunities to build a team that can compete in the playoffs. I don’t think we’ll ever see another player (at least in our lifetimes) that will even come close to 99’s record.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
The Caps “regret” hiring Trotz? That’s incredibly LOL.

It all went according to their plan. The issue is the last 2 years of the plan (Reirden) failed. Plans (Or parts of a plan) fail all the time in life.

I don’t think they regret anything. I think they are moving forward and will do whatever they can to win another Cup AND get Ovie to 895

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Every fan base in the NHL knows it was a mistake letting Trotz go (especially the Isles), I don't get why some Caps fans can't admit it was a mistake.

I can only speak for Nashville fans. Yes, it was a big mistake by the Caps letting a Cup winning coach go like that.

I was in Washington DC on June 20, 2018, the day of the Stanley Cup celebration. I went to visit the Smithsonian that day. I always wanted to go to the Air & Space Museum and also visited at the American History Museum. I was on the National Mall with about 50,000 Caps fans.

I saw Barry Trotz, the former Nashville HC of 16 years speak from 100 feet away. He gave a VERY STRANGE speech. I thought he must have been up all night and drinking too much. I was more surprised by what he didn't say, than what he did say, like we will be back next season for another Cup. A week later, he was HC of the Islanders. I was quite surprised.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I can only speak for Nashville fans. Yes, it was a big mistake by the Caps letting a Cup winning coach go like that.

I was in Washington DC on June 20, 2018, the day of the Stanley Cup celebration. I went to visit the Smithsonian that day. I always wanted to go to the Air & Space Museum and also visited at the American History Museum. I was on the National Mall with about 50,000 Caps fans.

I saw Barry Trotz, the former Nashville HC of 16 years speak from 100 feet away. He gave a VERY STRANGE speech. I thought he must have been up all night and drinking too much. I was more surprised by what he didn't say, than what he did say, like we will be back next season for another Cup. A week later, he was HC of the Islanders. I was quite surprised.

You picked the perfect time to be on the mall.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I think the Caps regret hiring Trots in the first place. 1 Cup in 4 years and almost fired 2 or 3 times? Caps needed Lavi and I was pro-hire Lavi when they picked the easy-going player's coach. If they thought Trots was instrumental in the Cup win, they would of extended him.
Lol wow do you believe what you just said?
Of course Trotz was instrumental in the success the Caps had in those 4 years.
GMBM wouldn't say that because of his ego but I'm pretty sure he even feels differently now.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
You picked the perfect time to be on the mall.

Thanks! That is the second time that I stumbled onto a Stanley Cup celebration. The first one was in Chicago in 2015. My wife's nephew got married. We rode the Amtrak down from Milwaukee to Chicago and walked a few blocks to our hotel in River North. I have never seen so many people in Union Station or in the Loop in all of times I have been Chicago! That is probably a three digit number.

Once is a coincidence. Twice is Forrest Gump!

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Thanks! That is the second time that I stumbled onto a Stanley Cup celebration. The first one was in Chicago in 2015. My wife's nephew got married. We rode the Amtrak down from Milwaukee to Chicago and walked a few blocks to our hotel in River North. I have never seen so many people in Union Station or in the Loop in all of times I have been Chicago! That is probably a three digit number.

Once is a coincidence. Twice is Forrest Gump!

Well in that case, I hope three times is the charm.. at your own Preds parade.

Reactions: adsfan

Monsterrain

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland
I just want a coach that will give Alex the best shot at breaking Gretzky’s record. Yes, with a SC already in 2018, that’s exactly what I’d prioritize. There will always be opportunities to build a team that can compete in the playoffs. I don’t think we’ll ever see another player (at least in our lifetimes) that will even come close to 99’s record.
Really?

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Lol wow do you believe what you just said?
Of course Trotz was instrumental in the success the Caps had in those 4 years.
GMBM wouldn't say that because of his ego but I'm pretty sure he even feels differently now.

Caps management brain trust > some random person on a message board known for posting absurdities.

Trots was instrumental in almost getting fired several times and not making it past the 2nd round. I contend the Caps won the cup despite the coach. Recall: They were a puck deflection away from being down 3-0 to Columbus in the 1st round in 2018.

I wonder how much lipstick you've put on the Trotz poster you have at home.

Toodles!

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Sure they could but that's information Japers has no way of knowing. Just trying to understand his logic.

Try this on for size. Next season Toronto is payin 75% of Babcock's salary when the Caps and Babcock put the leafs on the golf course. Remember that money isnt really an issue in Toronto. They dont care if they flush all that money away

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't think this is accurate, but I'm not 100%. I believe they control his rights if he resigned, like Trotz did, but if they fire him he's a UFA and can go anywhere he wants. They are on the hook to pay him their remaining salary, which is reduced by any amount the Caps might pay, but they have no control over that aspect of the situation.

I do not believe they can fire him and then stop him from working anywhere he wants. They can only stop him if he resigned.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

The Capitals had to ask permission to talk to all 3 of those guys including Babcock. Toronto controls Babcock. They have a contract with him. Firing him doesnt means relieving him of duty. Not terminating his contract

Jun 15, 2007
Try this on for size. Next season Toronto is payin 75% of Babcock's salary when the Caps and Babcock put the leafs on the golf course. Remember that money isnt really an issue in Toronto. They dont care if they flush all that money away

That's not the point. The point is Babcock can only be cheaper, not more expensive. Laviolette will cost the full price. So Japers point doesn't make any sense.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That's not the point. The point is Babcock can only be cheaper, not more expensive. Laviolette will cost the full price. So Japers point doesn't make any sense.

The point seems to be moving some. The point is that Toronto controls the issue. They have a contract with three more seasons on it and they call the shots.

Jun 15, 2007
The point seems to be moving some. The point is that Toronto controls the issue. They have a contract with three more seasons on it and they call the shots.

Did you read the tweet that started this whole conversation....?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Did you read the tweet that started this whole conversation....?

Yes. Your response was "I thought the Leafs are on the hook for his contract regardless. That forms the baseline minimum of what Babcock will make. So any salary the Caps pay Babcock is salary the Leafs don't have to pay. Why would the money be a problem? Surely Babcock isn't expecting a raise on what he made in Toronto?"

Toronto controls whether Babcock can work for another NHL team until his contract is up. They can just say no. Because they are flush with cash they are in no hurry to have anyone rescue them from any part of that contract. Babcock has what left? 3 years at $.6.75m? Toronto can make Leonsis eat the whole thing.

Edit: I dont need the attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad