Confirmed with Link: Update: 9/15 | Capitals Relieve Todd Reirden of Coaching Duties | Hire Laviolette as new HC

Who do you want to be the next coach of the Washington Capitals?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
The longer this goes, the more likely I think Babcock is the real potential there. I think Gallant has too many question marks for a team to go all-in on him, I just can't imagine Lavi in DC for some reason no matter how hard I try, and I think all of Babcock's issues being off the ice stuff is bigger then question marks on the ice.

I think Ovi and the Russians would respond better to Babcock then many think, I just question how the rest of the team would respond to him.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Lol really? Wow, what about Detroit's dream team in 2002 saving Scotty Bowman's ass? Or Quenneville riding Keith/Kane/TOews coat tails back in the day? See how that works?

Those coaches have had successes besides the one cup.

I hope it's not Babcock. Dats and Zetts saved his butt numerous times. He's too overrated.

You're forgetting the best player sir... Lidstrom!

Reactions: shtorm2005

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
I can't remember of a single coach as universally reviled by universally respected players as Babcock. Absolutely no chance 8 extends under him, could even see him asking for a trade after a month of Babcock's psychotic mindf***ery and disrespect.

Would unironically rather hire the racist abusive dude Calgary fired that's how bad Babcock is

Reactions: Eirikrautha

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Those coaches have had successes besides the one cup.
eh...you know you're talking about the most accomplished active coach, right? You guys will say anything to double down on your narrative. I'm sorry but Babs led a terrible Ducks team to Stanley Cup final. Neither of Bowman nor Quenneville can say that. The teams they'd had success with were borderline powerhouses/dream teams.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
eh...you know you're talking about the most accomplished active coach, right? You guys will say anything to double down on your narrative. I'm sorry but Babs led a terrible Ducks team to Stanley Cup final. Neither of Bowman nor Quenneville can say that. The teams they'd had success with were borderline powerhouses/dream teams.

As the fan of a team that has routinely been a powerhouse and has been out of the 2nd round once in 13 years, I am impressed by a guy that can win 2 or 3 or 4 times with a dream team. Barry Trotz in 4 years choked a chance to get out of the 2nd round, then wasted 2 president's trophies and then won a cup. Winning with a great team is still ridiculously hard

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
As the fan of a team that has routinely been a powerhouse and has been out of the 2nd round once in 13 years, I am impressed by a guy that can win 2 or 3 or 4 times with a dream team. Barry Trotz in 4 years choked a chance to get out of the 2nd round, then wasted 2 president's trophies and then won a cup. Winning with a great team is still ridiculously hard
It is still way easier than getting anywhere near the top with a bad team. Babcock did both - won with powerhouses and had success with underdogs. Quenneville ..did Panthers look better with him than with Boughner or Gallant? My answer is hell no. And Bowman hadn't coached a bad team in his life.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Babcock did help lead a couple of dream team Team Canadas to gold at the Olympics as well, the first in a pretty pressure-backed home environment. I'm open-minded about it. You'd have to figure Ovechkin okays it if it happens and that he checks out behind the scenes generally. If he's hungry, humble and driven to carve out a more successful chapter in his NHL coaching career he probably should be the front-runner given his overall resume. At his best he can be an organizational tone-setter. (Fun fact, Kevin Kaminski was Babcock's assistant in Cincinnati/AHL.)

Something else to consider:

Monsterrain

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland
upload_2020-9-9_20-3-54.gif

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The LeBrun quote can be found on the main TSN.CA page video, at 2:41 into the clip, for those interested in the exact wording.

LeBrun: Well, [Capitals GM] Brian MacLellan kind of tipped his hand when he made the coaching change. He said he was looking for an experienced coach. Well, it should surprise no one that sources confirm he has interviewed Gerard Gallant, he has interviewed Peter Laviolette and, yes, he has interviewed Mike Babcock. And I think he wants to hire one of those three experienced coaches I think within the next couple weeks. Now, all three coaches have term left on their deals with their former teams. In particular, Mike Babcock has more than $17M US left to be paid out over the next three years from the Toronto Maple Leafs. How much would it take for the Caps to pay Mike Babcock for the Leafs to sign off on it if they go that route. We'll see if he goes Gallant, Laviolette or Babcock.

Todos a la Calle

Mar 30, 2015
Mexico City
Hindsight of course is 20/20, but I remember feeling like they hired the wrong assistant coach post-Trotz. Just a gut feeling, but I think Lane Lambert would make a good NHL coach.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
JS Giguere is the reason that Ducks team went to the final. Dude won the Conn Smythe while not winning the Cup, he was that good during that playoff run. 63 saves in the first game of those playoffs. A shutout stretch of more than 200 minutes against the Wild. Five shutouts in 21 games. Surrendering more than 3 goals against just once. Jiggy was otherworldly those playoffs, carrying a Ducks team that was frequently buried in shots against to the finals.

Last edited:

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
JS Giguere is the reason that Ducks team went to the final. Dude won the Conn Smythe while not winning the Cup, he was that good during that playoff run. 63 saves in the first game of those playoffs. A shutout stretch of more than 200 minutes against the Wild. Five shutouts in 21 games. Surrendering more than 3 goals against just once. Jiggy was otherworldly those playoffs, carrying a Ducks team that was frequently buried in shots against to the finals.
Giguere was superb, not doubt about it. That being said, there has never been a team that went to the finals on one player alone. You can say the same about the Canucks being overall the better team back in 2011 but Bruins fought back and won with Tim Thomas having an absolute once in a lifetime playoff performance but it wouldn't really be completely true. These lesser teams had a great coaching and mental fortitude to push through adversity which is exactly what great coach should help them do. It is not right to undermine that side of their success.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
LeBrun: Well, [Capitals GM] Brian MacLellan kind of tipped his hand when he made the coaching change. He said he was looking for an experienced coach.

wut. It's amazing how people just don't seem to know anything about GMBM nationally. The man has always told people what he plans to do. How is he "tipping" his hand when he flat out tells you the plan?

Reactions: Calicaps

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Giguere was superb, not doubt about it. That being said, there has never been a team that went to the finals on one player alone. You can say the same about the Canucks being overall the better team back in 2011 but Bruins fought back and won with Tim Thomas having an absolute once in a lifetime playoff performance but it wouldn't really be completely true. These lesser teams had a great coaching and mental fortitude to push through adversity which is exactly what great coach should help them do. It is not right to undermine that side of their success.

The difference between that Bruins win and the Ducks finals trip is that the Bruins didn't get completely dominated. Krejci, Marchand, and Bergeron were all near a point/game pace in the playoffs. Nobody on the Ducks roster, not even Paul Kariya, was close to that. The leading scorers on that Ducks playoff run would have been tied for 7th on that Bruins team. The Bruins out shot the Canucks in 3/7 finals games, and generally kept the shot counters close to even. The Ducks outshot their opponents in just 2 (!!!) of their 21 games all playoffs long. They were held to 16 or fewer shots in three different games during that playoff run, and only twice did they hit the 30 shot marker by the end of regulation. Game 1 of the Western Conference Finals against Minnesota was a 2OT game, and they still couldn't reach the 30 shot marker there. They were completely anemic on offense, while still surrendering 30+ shots a game (33.5 on average) and relied entirely on JS Giguere to bail them out. Giguere's effort was herculean, far beyond Tim Thomas in 2011. Thomas may have been the Bruins best player, but he wasn't the Bruins only player the way that Jiggy was to the Ducks in 2003.

Jiggy even had his own version of "The Save"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad