Confirmed with Link: Update: 9/15 | Capitals Relieve Todd Reirden of Coaching Duties | Hire Laviolette as new HC

Who do you want to be the next coach of the Washington Capitals?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Mod edit: Rierden relieved of coaching duties, search for replacement underway. Link.

I think this thread is warranted. If not, delete it mods.

I think Reirden and his entire staff have to be fired. Their system didn’t work and they couldn’t adapt to a worse and less talented team.

Too often have they played inconsistently over these last two years, with periods of no offensive cohesion + possession and a lack of defensive structure.

It’s time for a change.

Last edited by a moderator:

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
I think BMac has got to have a hard thought about Lavi and Gallant. Those two coaches likely will only last a couple of years here, but, they will bring much needed structure and accountability. We need to be competing for the Cup in Ovi’s last few productive years.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I think this thread is warranted. If not, delete it mods.

I think Reirden and his entire staff have to be fired. Their system didn’t work and they couldn’t adapt to a worse and less talented team.

Too often have they played inconsistently over these last two years, with periods of no offensive cohesion + possession and a lack of defensive structure.

It’s time for a change.

as long as the topic stays on the coaching staff

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Lavi or Gallant.

If they bring in a rookie coach again I don’t think fan base here will give that coach a fair chance. We’ve seen what it has done time and time again - and this team is so old now that they need a vet coach.

Leonsis needs to finally spend for a coach. There’s awesome coaches available who have a track record winning or getting to a cup - and you can’t pass that up. If he does, his reputation of caring about winning will diminish quickly. Does he really want both the wizards and caps to suck big time when he owns the arena/etc? I don’t think so.

If Reirden isn’t fired then I’m canceling season tickets and won’t pay to go to a game until a new coach is brought in. This guy is not capable at all at being a good head coach. Not for a team in win now mode at least.

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
its the salary cap era and parity is a thing

i'm of the belief that being a man/team motivator is the single most important thing that a head coach can bring

on that basis alone, TR has failed spectacularly

we have the talent to win which GMBM has assembled, so it would appear he has done his job to my eye

there is only one course of action ... barring other reasons unknown to fans, albeit speculated

Reactions: Ovie's Neighbor

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think BMac has got to have a hard thought about Lavi and Gallant. Those two coaches likely will only last a couple of years here, but, they will bring much needed structure and accountability. We need to be competing for the Cup in Ovi’s last few productive years.

Lets start with the basics. Leonsis hires the coach. Not the GM.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Lets start with the basics. Leonsis hires the coach. Not the GM.

It doesn't matter who actually hires the coach. The track record leaves this completely and Leonsis feet. There's been one non rookie coach hired since he bought the team and that's the one that won a cup. None of the others have been out of the 2nd round. There is no one else to blame as he's allowed it.

Reactions: Leksand

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Weight? The rest of those guys are all too expensive for Leonsis. He wont pay that.
That requires digging deep to find an up-and-comer which...I doubt they're able to identify. I've mentioned Carbery lately, Hershey's HC, but that's an awful lot to pile on him (esp. if saddled with discount bin assistants).

They can't go into next season with this entire staff IMO. A fresh approach is needed in every facet with the possible exception of the PK...but that's not enough to retain anyone in particular.

Scott Brooks does go against the whole Leonsis is cheap thing, though. The problem is the uncertain outlook and whether ownership would bite the bullet and do the right thing or not. Execute backwards and, well, you get what you deserve. Cut corners and it'll just be about the chase to 894 going forward.

Reactions: txpd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->