UPDATE 11/5 - NBA players approve Dec. 22 start and playing 72-game season

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I have been saying for awhile that we are looking at an all Canadian division for the first part of the season and I believe the bigger issue is there are teams in the US that need to get asses in the seats and buy all that over priced beer and popcord and shit.

The NHL does not have a TV contract on the same level of MLB, NFL or NBA. Unless certain teams can sell tickets to home games, I think we have a problem

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007

What do you mean so what? Do you understand the logistics involved in having one team find a new place to play?

Better yet, lay it out for us. How do you have the seven Canadian based teams find a place in the US? And please give something a little more than just waving your finger and it happens.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
So...why can't NHL do the same?

You might have considerable problems with the PA, for starters.

The PA would much prefer the 24 US teams relocated to Canada (a much bigger logistical nightmare) rather than having the seven Canadian clubs head south.

For the playoff bubble, they absolutely refused to play any of the games in the United States. Even if Biden wins the election, he won't take office in time for the United States to have an actual federal Coronavirus response happening before the projected starts of the NHL season.

It's going to be extremely difficult for the NHL to launch a season in January with the US teams playing on US soil.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
What do you mean so what? Do you understand the logistics involved in having one team find a new place to play?

Better yet, lay it out for us. How do you have the seven Canadian based teams find a place in the US? And please give something a little more than just waving your finger and it happens.
How did Blue Jays find a place to play in US?

Same deal.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
How did Blue Jays find a place to play in US?

Same deal.

Same deal x 7 in this case. Buffalo was a last minute arrangement that the players had to settle for, after all other options fell apart in the 11th hour by not getting government approvals in Canada, plus getting denied in a couple of states too.

No way the NHL will let this happen. Where are 7 locations in the US that can....?

a) accommodate an NHL rink
b) not be used by the NBA counterpart
c) have proper NHL facilities (good luck getting playing in a minor league rink by the PA)
d) political will to want to host these teams.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Same deal x 7 in this case. Buffalo was a last minute arrangement that the players had to settle for, after all other options fell apart in the 11th hour by not getting government approvals in Canada, plus getting denied in a couple of states too.

No way the NHL will let this happen. Where are 7 locations in the US that can....?

a) accommodate an NHL rink
b) not be used by the NBA counterpart
c) have proper NHL facilities (good luck getting playing in a minor league rink by the PA)
d) political will to want to host these teams.
Unlike MLB, NHL has plenty of options when it comes to venues.

There are plenty of arenas not shared by NBA and NHL. ANd even if they were, I don't think that matters. There are no concerts going on. No live events. The building is gonna be empty.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Unlike MLB, NHL has plenty of options when it comes to venues.

There are plenty of arenas not shared by NBA and NHL. ANd even if they were, I don't think that matters. There are no concerts going on. No live events. The building is gonna be empty.

Which ones have NHL facilities on site including dressing rooms, training facilities and NHL caliber practice rinks nearby? Maybe Houston, supposed Fertitta doesn't want a part time team there.

Kansas City, are there practice facilities nearby? Supposed City and state health officials say no? The Jays we're denied in a few places. Need more than available space to make it workable.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Which ones have NHL facilities on site including dressing rooms, training facilities and NHL caliber practice rinks nearby? Maybe Houston, supposed Fertitta doesn't want a part time team there.

Kansas City, are there practice facilities nearby? Supposed City and state health officials say no? The Jays we're denied in a few places. Need more than available space to make it workable.
Unlike Canada, I doubt most cities say no.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Unlike Canada, I doubt most cities say no.

The state of Pennsylvania said no to the Jays looking at Pittsburg. Maryland wasn't interested in them coming to Baltimore. While Canadian health officials gave the green light to the NHL hub.

Might be better to have all teams play in Canada then, we have more than enough rinks no borders to work with either. Done.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
The NHL better be following suit with the NBA. Figure it out, MLB did it, NFL is doing it, the KHL is doing it, the SEL is doing it as is many other professional leagues. Yes NHL relies on getting asses in the seats but DEAL with it, sacrifice some money. Our players already get paid peanuts compared to other leagues so this shouldn't be a huge issue that cant be figured out.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
If the NBA players don't want to start on December 22 the season just might be in jeopardy. The NHL's season could be in jeopardy too.

Take notes people. This is what happens when you play during non-traditional time frames. Because the NBA and NHL were so greedy that they needed to complete 19-20 in some fashion, neither league may play a 20-21 season.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
If the NBA players don't want to start on December 22 the season just might be in jeopardy. The NHL's season could be in jeopardy too.

Take notes people. This is what happens when you play during non-traditional time frames. Because the NBA and NHL were so greedy that they needed to complete 19-20 in some fashion, neither league may play a 20-21 season.
Trying to fill contractual obligations isn't greed. Neither endeavor was profitable but the losses would've been greater if they hadn't.

Reactions: mouser

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
With the league/player split of revenue 50/50 there is going to have to be some significant belt tightening on the part of NBA players. I have to admit I'm fascinated with where all this is headed for most leagues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad