UPDATE 11/5 - NBA players approve Dec. 22 start and playing 72-game season

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Raptors new slogan, to be contested in court by the Heat: "We the South!"

(Sent to me by someone so not taking credit for it...)

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
It's official. Indianapolis will now host the All-Star Game in 2024, leaving the break open for just a rest period.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
The NBA should shorten the 2021 playoffs so that they can get done sooner, and not jeopardize Olympic participation

Conference quarterfinals would be a 2-game points aggregate series, one in each venue

Conference semifinals would be best of three, first game at lower seed, second and if necessary third at higher seed

Conference finals would be best of five, 2-2-1 home court format

NBA Finals remain best of seven, but changed to a 2-3-2 home court format to reduce unnecessary travel for this season (though I think it should be permanent)

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
The NBA should shorten the 2021 playoffs so that they can get done sooner, and not jeopardize Olympic participation

Conference quarterfinals would be a 2-game points aggregate series, one in each venue

Conference semifinals would be best of three, first game at lower seed, second and if necessary third at higher seed

Conference finals would be best of five, 2-2-1 home court format

NBA Finals remain best of seven, but changed to a 2-3-2 home court format to reduce unnecessary travel for this season (though I think it should be permanent)
Schtick is tired.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Here's what the NBA should have done this season:

1. 60-game schedule - 72 is too much if you want to get players in the Olympics

2. Temporary realignment:

Atlantic: Boston, Brooklyn, New York, Philadelphia, Toronto (playing in Buffalo), Washington
Central: Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Indiana, Milwaukee, Minnesota
Pacific: Golden State, LA Clippers, LA Lakers, Phoenix, Portland, Sacramento
Southeast: Atlanta, Charlotte, Memphis, Miami, New Orleans, Orlando
Southwest: Dallas, Denver, Houston, Oklahoma City, San Antonio, Utah

Abolition of Eastern and Western Conferences for this year only. No cross-division play this year, 12 games against each team in your division to reduce the amount of unnecessary travel.

3: Playoffs

Top 4 teams in each division play a best-of-three first round (first game at lower seed, remaining games at higher seed) and best-of-five second round (2-3 home court format, first two games at lower seed). No dumb play-in games, if you have one of the four best records in your division, you should be in the playoffs without any question.

The five divisional playoff winners would gather at the home court of the team with the best record still in the playoffs. The two with the worst regular season records would play a two-game points aggregate series, while the top three play a round-robin to determine their final seedings for the NBA semifinals (ala NHL last season). If the round robin finishes at 1-1 apiece, the tie-breaker would be aggregated points. All five of these games would take place at the same venue to reduce unnecessary travel.

The NBA Semifinals and NBA Finals would be 2-3-2 best-of-seven.

The addition of Minnesota to the Central Division and Oklahoma City to the Southwest (albeit with the latter's current line-up restored once COVID is over) would become permanent in the future under my proposal to add teams in Seattle and Vancouver, which would both be in the Northwest Division (the division Minnesota and OKC are in now).

I feel this is a much better set-up than what the NBA agreed to do. And I'm always saying teams should play more division games, that they currently don't play enough compared to the other major sports leagues (something that would be fixed upon expansion to 32, with every non-division matchup occurring twice a year, and division matchups 6 or 7 times depending on the size of the division).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad