Unwatchable... What's your biggest qualm? (Vent/rant here)

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I have an issue with the thought that you can be a last place team and be competitive.

I don't think it would be possible for this team to be bottom of the league bad and watchable.

I think some of us who want the Sabres to get McEichel and be more watchable just want them to be harder to play against (Murray wanted this too, right?)

I want them out of 29th place by a few points, not by 15 points.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I think some of us who want the Sabres to get McEichel and be more watchable just want them to be harder to play against (Murray wanted this too, right?)

well at the moment we're in 29th

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Murray wanted McEichel.

I don't think he cares about whether the on-ice product is watchable or not.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
and other than goaltending the Oilers are playing a lot better than we are.

Really?

Edmonton isn't really lighting it up offensively with 11 goals for in 5 games.

And their defense continues to be a mess.

Plus, they lost 5-2 at home to the hated Flames!

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Really?

Edmonton isn't really lighting it up offensively with 11 goals for in 5 games.

And their defense continues to be a mess.

Plus, they lost 5-2 at home to the hated Flames!

Look at their shot differential compared to the Sabres.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012
and other than goaltending the Oilers are playing a lot better than we are.

Ive thought the Oilers have looked better so far this season as well. Their goaltending is a swirling black hole of suck and poo and they don't have the D-core to make up for it. They have to be a lot better before I think they can overcome that back end.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
Ive thought the Oilers have looked better so far this season as well. Their goaltending is a swirling black hole of suck and poo and they don't have the D-core to make up for it. They have to be a lot better before I think they can overcome that back end.

So, Enroth and Mezaros for EDM's first? :laugh:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Look at their shot differential compared to the Sabres.

And they are still the two worst teams in the league in 5 on 5 Goals For/Against Ratio.

Sure, Edmonton is basically even in shot differential and the Sabres are horrible.

But, Edmonton is 11th in shots for per game and 25th in goals for per game.

Is it really more watchable when a team can't shoot straight at one end and can't stop a puck at the other?

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
The sabres will need some experienced players when the time comes. I would be loathe to trade Myers until I knew what I was getting. In fact if Murray were to trade some draft picks for nhl ready players I would not be surprised. After the first 2 picks of course. Otherwise we are looking 5 years not 3 to be a playoff team.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012
And they are still the two worst teams in the league in 5 on 5 Goals For/Against Ratio.

Sure, Edmonton is basically even in shot differential and the Sabres are horrible.

But, Edmonton is 11th in shots for per game and 25th in goals for per game.

Is it really more watchable when a team can't shoot straight at one end and can't stop a puck at the other?

I think it makes it more likely that we are seeing an outlier to their season. Teams usually don't have such a disparity in their shooting percentages and save percentages. Wouldn't surprise me if at some point those numbers came closer to the league averages. At that point they'll be better at winning then they are now.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Essentially, they have top line NHL talent and a defensive center who can legally drink.

Gorges-Myers is the only part of this entire team a GM trying to win hockey games would even consider keeping in their current role.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
GM Tim Murray definitely wants one of McEichel. You can build your whole team around one of those guys. Plus the fact that we've been building for a few years now with the high end talent we have at forward and defense, means it's just a matter of developing these guys now. I wouldn't be surpised, and to be honest I HOPE, that Murray trades a late first and some of our 2nds/3rds for players in the NHL already in the offseason.

If we get one of McDavid or Eichel, I for one truly believe our center position is set with the guys we have because we would plug it in like this:
McDavid/Eichel
Grigorenko (he's going to surprise all of us on this forum...just watch how sick he's going to be)
Reinhart

We would be set down the middle of the ice. This allows Girgensons to play wing on the 1st or 2nd line, which is where his game is much more suited for and where he would EXCEL tremendously. It also allows Ennis and Hodgson to play wing. I'm not a Hodgson fan but if he's here, might as well be at wing. I'd much rather trade him in the off season for a speedy winger with a good shot.

In the mean time...just develop develop develop!!!

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Essentially, they have top line NHL talent and a defensive center who can legally drink.

Gorges-Myers is the only part of this entire team a GM trying to win hockey games would even consider keeping in their current role.

Come on, now, Risto on the third pairing, and our 4th line are all pretty accurately slated. :laugh:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think it makes it more likely that we are seeing an outlier to their season. Teams usually don't have such a disparity in their shooting percentages and save percentages. Wouldn't surprise me if at some point those numbers came closer to the league averages. At that point they'll be better at winning then they are now.

No doubt.

I just don't know that so far this season that the Oilers are more watchable.

In fact, they may be even more infuriating because of the way things are going.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

This statement is funny. He lets lose every game 4-3 be very competitive and finish last place by only a point or two.

Come on.....how silly. Last place teams are last place for a reason. They are terrible.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
What gives me solice is that we could make significant improvements to this roster within the organization if we wanted to. The backend has been horrendous, yet we have McCabe, Ruh, Pysyk and Zads on deck. Everything is temporary.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
This statement is funny. He lets lose every game 4-3 be very competitive and finish last place by only a point or two.

Come on.....how silly. Last place teams are last place for a reason. They are terrible.

Oilers are kind of like this. The lose because their goalie is terrible and their defense is prone to do some really dumb things, but they can score and play entertaining hockey.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Watchability is in the eye of the beholder. I'm content to watch and just pay attention to the guys who are going to be here for awhile and hopefully be a major part of a successful rebuild (Myers, Girgs, Risto, Reinhart, Grigorenko and Zadarov if they get here), understanding that the rest of the team sucks. For the most part, those guys have looked good so far, so I find it watchable enough.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Oilers are kind of like this. The lose because their goalie is terrible and their defense is prone to do some really dumb things, but they can score and play entertaining hockey.

The Oilers are 24th in the NHL in GF/GP at 2.33 GF/GP.

I doubt that is Oiler fans' idea of being able to score and play entertaining hockey.

jamers

bleep bop bloop
Sep 17, 2011
GM Tim Murray definitely wants one of McEichel. You can build your whole team around one of those guys. Plus the fact that we've been building for a few years now with the high end talent we have at forward and defense, means it's just a matter of developing these guys now. I wouldn't be surpised, and to be honest I HOPE, that Murray trades a late first and some of our 2nds/3rds for players in the NHL already in the offseason.

If we get one of McDavid or Eichel, I for one truly believe our center position is set with the guys we have because we would plug it in like this:
McDavid/Eichel
Grigorenko (he's going to surprise all of us on this forum...just watch how sick he's going to be)
Reinhart

We would be set down the middle of the ice. This allows Girgensons to play wing on the 1st or 2nd line, which is where his game is much more suited for and where he would EXCEL tremendously. It also allows Ennis and Hodgson to play wing. I'm not a Hodgson fan but if he's here, might as well be at wing. I'd much rather trade him in the off season for a speedy winger with a good shot.

In the mean time...just develop develop develop!!!

Obviously a lot of assumptions here, but I tend to agree. I know Girgensons as a third line center is an attractive thought, but I wouldn't mind him in a Hossa like role. Hossa has deserved some Selke love for a while now. It's not just a center award. Girgensons could be that, if not elite, very good two way winger that opens up space for an elite talent in the middle.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
When a season goes like this it's always easy to try and find a scapegoat. This year there really doesn't seem to be one. Perhaps Mez/Benoit? Hodgson? It really feels like our team from top to bottom is just not very good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad