Unwatchable... What's your biggest qualm? (Vent/rant here)

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I knew there would be bumps.

But I expected a team that would show effort and pride, possibly being a tough out for opponents on a night here or there. I am fine with the losing if it came with effort.

But it hasn't yet. And it's tough to watch.

My biggest issue is that Murray showed a lack of balls when he kept Nolan after LaFontaine left. He should have hand picked the coach of his choosing - he succumbed to the unspoken pressure of keeping a favorite face around, when clearly, the game has passed Teddy.

What does it mean when a coach, who is supposed to be a players coach and a guy that maximizes effort with little star power, puts out a team that would meddle in the middle of the pack in the AHL? And I'm not talking about roster construction. I know no coach could make this a winner. But someone else could definitely make it easier on the eyes. This staff is abysmal. Stone Age.

Yes, roster sucks. But so does the coach.

What's your biggest problem? Those who weren't all about the tank and are as upset as I am, here's your forum to vent.

This is unwatchable. I will always watch, because blue and gold is a part of my existence and my routine. But this isn't fun.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
My biggest qualm is the fans. They seem to not grasp what is going on with the sabres. What a rebuild is and what it means if the sabres do not land McDavid or Eichel.

They complain about the sabres play, how terrible they are and like they expected something different, exciting and competitive but still want McEichel.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
My biggest qualm is the fans. They seem to not grasp what is going on with the sabres. What a rebuild is and what it means if the sabres do not land McDavid or Eichel.

They complain about the sabres play, how terrible they are and like they expected something different, exciting and competitive but still want McEichel.

You're in the wrong place if your biggest issue is with the fans.

You won't find a single person who WOULDNT want one of McDavid or Ikle. But there are some out there, like myself, who expected a more aesthetically pleasing on ice product.

My mistake, I guess. I truly didn't see this coming. I thought we would be improved.

And if you asked me before the year started if I wanted this team to be battling for the last playoff spot, I'd have told you yes. In the minority, obviously, I know. But that's where I landed.

I guess I should be more embracing of the tank. But I'd like to do so simultaneously with an effort-filled team to watch.

Girgensons, Myers and Enroth aside, everyone else is out to lunch.

That includes surprises like Moulson and Gionta, McCormick and Stafford. I didn't expect it from them like I did Ennis and Hodgson and Philleanough.

Bps21*

My biggest problem is wondering what the hell the plan is with Zadorov. I like to imagine when nolan and Murray talked it went something like this:

Both of them at the same time: "so what's the plan with Zadorov?" They point at each other "but I thought you..." They laugh.

Because seriously what the hell?

As for the other stuff...Murray doesn't give one crap about fan favorite anything. He kept nolan because it's a **** filler job and he wanted someone to motivate and keep morale up while he ices a roster that never has and never will have the puck. The skill level is on par with an already bad Carolina team missing their 4 best players. And that's something. Skate as hard as you can, hit and block all the shots...can't pass, can't shoot, can't win.

They are who I thought they'd be. They cut their best possession player and found a way to sell that. It was by design.

Bps21*

And yes I'm aware that Murray wants them to play harder and to be harder to play against and all the buzzwords he used while also making sure people understood they'd still lose all the time. And I know that he's angry with the way they're playing.

And I know he's smart enough to know what kind of team he was putting together too.

The man inherited the worst team in hockey, was expected to move out their best players from there...and is staring a franchise defining draft pick in the face if he just keeps the sinking ship without lifeboats. Paddle harder so it looks like we are trying to make it to shore...he will just drill more holes in the bottom of the boat if he needs to.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
I knew there would be bumps.

But I expected a team that would show effort and pride, possibly being a tough out for opponents on a night here or there. I am fine with the losing if it came with effort.

But it hasn't yet. And it's tough to watch.

My biggest issue is that Murray showed a lack of balls when he kept Nolan after LaFontaine left. He should have hand picked the coach of his choosing - he succumbed to the unspoken pressure of keeping a favorite face around, when clearly, the game has passed Teddy.

What does it mean when a coach, who is supposed to be a players coach and a guy that maximizes effort with little star power, puts out a team that would meddle in the middle of the pack in the AHL? And I'm not talking about roster construction. I know no coach could make this a winner. But someone else could definitely make it easier on the eyes. This staff is abysmal. Stone Age.

Yes, roster sucks. But so does the coach.

What's your biggest problem? Those who weren't all about the tank and are as upset as I am, here's your forum to vent.

This is unwatchable.

I will always watch, because blue and gold is a part of my existence and my routine. But this isn't fun.

Yep, it's unwatchable. Last year was the same. But I don't have anything against Teddy, and the coach of this team right now isn't that important anyway given our publicly stated organizational goals.

This current era we are in, going back at least as far as Lindy's last full year with the team, has been freaking horrible.

The flip side of that though is that it could lead to one of the best eras we've ever seen.

It's still way too early to tell if it's going to work.

PS: My biggest problem is the absurd length of the NHL regular season. It is at least two full months too long.

This crap would be easier to take if the season was say, 50 games long. LOL

I am basically waiting around to finish dead last so I can enjoy the draft lottery; that will be our "playoffs" this year.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
You're in the wrong place if your biggest issue is with the fans.

You won't find a single person who WOULDNT want one of McDavid or Ikle. But there are some out there, like myself, who expected a more aesthetically pleasing on ice product.

My mistake, I guess. I truly didn't see this coming. I thought we would be improved.

And if you asked me before the year started if I wanted this team to be battling for the last playoff spot, I'd have told you yes. In the minority, obviously, I know. But that's where I landed.

I guess I should be more embracing of the tank. But I'd like to do so simultaneously with an effort-filled team to watch.

Girgensons, Myers and Enroth aside, everyone else is out to lunch.

That includes surprises like Moulson and Gionta, McCormick and Stafford. I didn't expect it from them like I did Ennis and Hodgson and Philleanough.

Its all in the mindset. I love watching sabres games....this year I block out my frustration and think Sidney Crosby caliber player in a sabres uniform

Bps21*

Yep, it's unwatchable. Last year was the same. But I don't have anything against Teddy, and the coach of this team right now isn't that important anyway given our publicly stated organizational goals.

I don't think the coach isn't that important...I think it's right to have a guy who will motivate the players to never give up and work hard despite what is going to be a really terrible year. It's good to instill that into your young guys so they will know how to respond to adversity in the future.

That's the thing they're trying to figure out right now...because some guys clearly aren't in. Some are. Hopefully they're keeping score of that. Myers, gorges, Girgensons...awesome. Hodgson, stafford, moulson...yeah...no.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I knew we were going to be bad, but this bad? This humiliated? I didn't believe that. And my biggest issue right now is the weak performances of the few legitimate players on this roster. Hodgson, Stewart, Stafford, Ennis... They show up once in a while but not enough and, worse, not together. And where the hell is Moulson!? I was so happy he came back, but I'm not even sure we got the right guy back. Maybe the real Moulson is sitting on an island sipping piña coladas while paying a doppelganger to his work.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
. I am fine with the losing if it came with effort.
And it's tough to watch.

What does it mean when a coach, who is supposed to be a players coach and a guy that maximizes effort with little star power, puts out a team that would meddle in the middle of the pack in the AHL? .

^ I was thinking the same thing this morning. Nolan is a dead duck sooner than Rolston was last year. I am okay with last place (I was a Sabres fanatic even last season), but didn't realize it would be worse.

I am okay watching a last place team, if the team isn't crumbling under the coach. This is ugly. I was thinking about canceling gamecenter (can I do that?), and watching more Amerks this year.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
^ I was thinking the same thing this morning. Nolan is a dead duck sooner than Rolston was last year. I am okay with last place (I was a Sabres fanatic even last season), but didn't realize it would be worse.

I am okay watching a last place team, if the team isn't crumbling under the coach. This is ugly. I was thinking about canceling gamecenter (can I do that?), and watching more Amerks this year.

You are sadly mistaken if you think Nolan is getting fired this year.

Some of you fans are mistaking talent for effort.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I'm kind of upset with their skating. They never seem to stay on their guys. Mostly. I hate that they're sitting Zadorov and Samson too.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Nolan will field a less skilled team just to prove a point. He hates to be wrong or change his ways. He has serious issues with getting along with people. Why he is still the coach of the team is beyond me. This year will be a set back year, not a year moving in the right direction.

Just getting Mcdavid isn't going to do crap. You need your 20 years old to also progress. They won't be doing that under Nolan.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Yeah, it's tough to watch Nolan and all the other clowns at the moment. I miss Darcy and Ron so much. After Darcy this organization somehow doesn't feel healthy anymore.

ZeroPT*

This is different than Rolston. With Rolston, NO ONE was doing well. NODOBY. It was basically a bunch of ECHLers running around. Under Nolan the players we should actually give a **** about are doing well. Myers,Girgensons,Ristolainen. These 3 will probably be on the roster most of the year. And they aren't costing us any games at all. The reason why we're losing is because of Benoit,Mez,Stafford,Flynn,etc.. The vets that will be gone. I'm a bit disappointed in Moulson but Gorges has done fantastic.

All in all. This is going exactly like I had hoped. The players that have a future here are doing well but the rest of the team sucks ass. And that will bring us to a high lottery pick and we can get a franchise player.

Instead of watching the sabres, watch the kids. That's where I get the most enjoyement. Whenever Myers is on the ice I just focus on him and he makes good plays. Same with Z, same with Risto.
I have no doubts that if Grigorenko or Pysyk or Larsson came up, they'd do well too.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
This is different than Rolston. With Rolston, NO ONE was doing well. NODOBY. It was basically a bunch of ECHLers running around. Under Nolan the players we should actually give a **** about are doing well. Myers,Girgensons,Ristolainen. These 3 will probably be on the roster most of the year. And they aren't costing us any games at all. The reason why we're losing is because of Benoit,Mez,Stafford,Flynn,etc.. The vets that will be gone. I'm a bit disappointed in Moulson but Gorges has done fantastic.

All in all. This is going exactly like I had hoped. The players that have a future here are doing well but the rest of the team sucks ass. And that will bring us to a high lottery pick and we can get a franchise player.

Instead of watching the sabres, watch the kids. That's where I get the most enjoyement. Whenever Myers is on the ice I just focus on him and he makes good plays. Same with Z, same with Risto.
I have no doubts that if Grigorenko or Pysyk or Larsson came up, they'd do well too.

Nice outlook, but it's not completely true. Risto has not looked good at all. That weight loss seems to be an issue with him getting pushed off puck.

Myers has been good but there are rumors of him getting moved anyways.

Z is Z.

Nolan is a bigger mess than Rolston

ZeroPT*

Nice outlook, but it's not completely true. Risto has not looked good at all. That weight loss seems to be an issue with him getting pushed off puck.

Myers has been good but there are rumors of him getting moved anyways.

Z is Z.

Nolan is a bigger mess than Rolston

Ristolainen has been fine. He hasn't looked out of place and he hasn't made any mistakes. To me that's the biggest sign of NHL readiness, mistakes or lack thereof.
The reason why this team sucks is because of the older players, the only players whom I'd say actually have played well this year are Myers,Z,Risto,Gorges,McCormick and Mitchell. This is obviously relative to their role.

Gorges and Myers together is amazing. Z is Z. Risto has been good and when he was partnered with Benoit, the latter didn't **** up. Mitchell and McCormick have been decent 4th liners/PKers.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I refer to him as Zemgod exclusively. Sorry for the miscommunication. I've already voiced my discontent of seeing Zadorov sit for days.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Some encouragement for non-tankers.... scary for tankers:

There is a team worse than ours in the standings. They have allowed more goals, playing 1 less game (they just have awful goaltending, their shots against aren't anywhere near as bad as the Sabres).

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
You are sadly mistaken if you think Nolan is getting fired this year.

You are sadly mistaken if you think it is a guarantee that Nolan will keep his job this year.

Anything can happen. Pegula wanted to see Regier complete the 2 year tank. The owner wanted the top picks, but things got so bad he had to make the move early.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad