Unwatchable... What's your biggest qualm? (Vent/rant here)

SiDC1

Dec 3, 2011
Northern Va
Some encouragement for non-tankers.... scary for tankers:

There is a team worse than ours in the standings. They have allowed more goals, playing 1 less game (they just have awful goaltending, their shots against aren't anywhere near as bad as the Sabres).
and everyone expected the Islanders to suck as bad as the Sabres. If they continue at a decent pace then everyone can stop hoping for McDavid and Eichel.

I was hoping for decent NHL quality hockey but it's not. Hell, it's not even quality AHL hockey right now. The goalies have faced 227 SOG in six games. So much for the BS about being "hard to play against." Its was so hard that the Biron tweeted a picture of the Boston goalie leaning against the net while play was going on at the other end. The dude was BORED.

We are Buffalo fans, we will sit here and suffer through this torment in hopes of a better future. If that ever happens.....

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
You won't find a single person who WOULDNT want one of McDavid or Ikle. But there are some out there, like myself, who expected a more aesthetically pleasing on ice product.

I guess I should be more embracing of the tank. But I'd like to do so simultaneously with an effort-filled team to watch.

Here's my thing -- I'd love a team that looks the part. A team that works its butt off every single game but just can't win. But do they actually exist? A team that always works it butt off is going to win its fair share of games, period. (see last year's Flames) In order to be last in the league, I think a team has to go through stretches that are borderline if not flat-out unwatchable.

A hard working team that's watchable won't get us to the promised land. This team might

C Note

Jan 31, 2014
Here's my thing -- I'd love a team that looks the part. A team that works its butt off every single game but just can't win. But do they actually exist? A team that always works it butt off is going to win its fair share of games, period. (see last year's Flames) In order to be last in the league, I think a team has to go through stretches that are borderline if not flat-out unwatchable.

A hard working team that's watchable won't get us to the promised land. This team might

I'm with you on this. I know we'd all love to have our cake and eat it too, but which would you rather have? A hard-working team, or last place? They're close to mutually exclusive.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
Agree with Zero. Could care less about 90% of the current roster. Only follow a select few players, and I think Risto's been great in the time he's given.

Idk, where all this I want to see a really good team but also be really bad nonsense comes from. This roster is built to fail against teams in the best hockey league in the world, the sooner you accept that, the easier it is to watch and just focus on the future of the team.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
I don't mind the losing either, I just mind the effort.

And a big thing that's really pissing me off is the fact that Zadorov isn't even playing and just practicing. I'd rather see Grigorekno at center with the SABRES instead of the Amerks with the offensive ineptitude we have right now. Girgensons is better at WING in the top 6 and NOT as a 3rd line center...

ughhhhh

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
Z is the de facto nickname of Zemgod. I even think he has the rights to "Big Z" as well.

I wish you'd guys would stop that. It reminds me too much of how WGR used to anoint Paul Posluszny as a god. Look how well that ended.

Just enjoy the kid and don't get overhyped.

Sabres83

Feb 27, 2014
Why don't you think Nolan is the problem? (not saying I agree nor disagree with your comment...but trying to get an explanation)

We're in a rebuild, all of the talent on the team has been traded away. Everyone knew we were going to be terrible this year. If we're still this bad next year when we're building back up, then it's time to start pointing fingers, but it's too early yet. I think we saw last year how much better the team played once Nolan took over. Just Myers' improvement alone is enough for me to believe the guy can coach.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
I don't mind the losing either, I just mind the effort.

And a big thing that's really pissing me off is the fact that Zadorov isn't even playing and just practicing. I'd rather see Grigorekno at center with the SABRES instead of the Amerks with the offensive ineptitude we have right now. Girgensons is better at WING in the top 6 and NOT as a 3rd line center...

ughhhhh

1. There's obviously some behind the scenes work being done on Zadorov. Have some patience, he's around the staff at all times right now, and likely on the ice every day with and without the team.

2. The fact that you'd rather watch Grigorenko play in the NHL right now because our offense is bad right now is silly. Let him develop where he needs to be, to become who we think he can be when it's going to matter.

3. How is a guy who is 4th in TOI amongst forwards and first in shifts/game our current 3C? He's developing just fine in the ice he's getting.

Everyone is all now now now, all of a sudden.

Bps21*

Love how someone is like "hey...Girgensons is playing really well...and our so called top talent is really struggling...maybe he's earned a shot at a better linemate than Mitchell?" And a lot of people act like you've just demanded they change the team name to the buffalo zemgods and that he be on every line and in goal at all times.

Isn't earning better opportunities a part of developing to people? Or is it just...keep them away from stuff as long as you can?

I don't think it's crazy or wrong to want to see Girgensons center a couple...and I'm going to have to use quotes so I don't laugh "skill" wingers when he's one of the few people on the team that is buying in to hard work and head down and keep going at a time where a lot of guys who aren't keep floating together. I actually don't think it's asking anything.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I have an issue with the thought that you can be a last place team and be competitive. You look at blundering franchises like Edm, perennial underachievers like Win, and that 1 team that is crippled by injuries, if you want to be the worst then you can't be good enough to be competitive against Boston and Anaheim, you have to get down to their level. We played Florida to a 1-0 loss and beat Carolina in a shootout. Last place finishes are usually catastrophic, rosters built to finish last are historically catastrophic. I'm not much interested in walking a line for McEichel, I want the job done so we can stop this nonsense. You gotta accept that worst place teams aren't watchable, because there's gonna be someone else out there who is unwatchable that's gonna be worse.

Right now I have no rant about the on-ice product, it sucks. It's league worst levels of suck. However, Myers looks good to very good, and Girgensons has moments of greatness. Outside of those two players there really isn't anyone on this roster that I care about. Reinhart I'm desperate to get him out of here before he gets hurt. Zadorov, if he's stuck here because of a contract foible with the CHL then activate him, if nothing else he needs to be smacking bodies around and handling the puck. Ennis, Hodgson, Moulson, Stewart, and Stafford are just nameless faceless middle 6 point producers that can be collected in bunches every offseason, if none of them are here in 4 years I wouldn't think anything of it.

I don't buy into this culture of winning and work ethic thing because I realistically see 60% of this roster gone by the time they start playing meaningful games again and their replacements aren't part of the team. Whose learning to win and work? Myers? Might be our best player, he's at least our best defender right now. Girgensons? Probably the other player in the running for best player. The guys. I have an issue with, that I swear at, that make me drink, they're tank commanders right now and that's the priority, finish dead friggin last.

TL:DR you can't be watchable and get McEichel

Bps21*

I kind of agree. I keep seeing the Calgary comparison. Calgary is 4-3! Good for them...and God bless...but the worst case scenario, to me, for THIS team is to make a run to drafting 8th or later again right now. And the option of making the playoffs...it doesn't exactly seem realistic does it?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Either this team was going to be watchable and NOT in the mix for McEichel or they were going to be unwatchable and be in the mix for McEichel.

I don't think it would be possible for this team to be bottom of the league bad and watchable.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Moulson, Ennis, Hodgson, Stafford, Stewart, Gionta... All have been pretty good top 6 players at various points in their careers. They have been BY FAR the biggest disappointment.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
I think they are exactly what they need to be, and that expecting them to be better after last years train wreck was always silly.

Similarly, expecting them to suddenly be competitive next year because of whichever 18 year old kid they draft, is delusional. Yes some of the "kids" will be a year older, but for most of them that means they'll be 20 yr old rookies, and nobody is competitive with lots of kids on the roster.

This was a total tear down that basically took 2-3 years to do, after this year, it'll take 2-3 years to get back to competitive (which to me is making the playoffs).

People complaining that Risto isn't getting PP time, or Girgs isn't playing wing, or your favorite rookie kid isn't up, are just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Play as many vets as possible, don't destroy any kids confidence, and build slowly. There is no quick fix.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Moulson, Ennis, Hodgson, Stafford, Stewart, Gionta... All have been pretty good top 6 players at various points in their careers. They have been BY FAR the biggest disappointment.

Agreed, but it was really easy to see coming if you weren't staring at the paper

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Right now? That I can't even watch unwatchable hockey. My GCL subscription is all paid, and so to do I have a quality device to view it on. However, our current landlord situation and ISP issues have me scrambling to get any sort of viewing displeasure out of the trainwreck that is this year's Sabres. And I'm also getting **** all for junior watching in.

omglolnub

Jun 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I sold my ticket to this Thursday's game against the Kings here in LA. Not cause they'd lose (cause it's a given), but this team is so damn unwatchable. Add in obnoxious bandwagon Kings fans that act like they've won the Cup again with every goal (in a likely 6-0 rout)...I can't bring myself to watch them in person. Too much pain :help: #suffering

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
ZeroPT put it nicely in another thread: only watch the youth. None of the other players matter at this point.

Therefore, my only qualms are the handling of said players...Reinhart on the 4th line, Risto not getting the ice time he deserves, zadorov not getting into any games yet...all of that falls onto Nolan. But it's not making me hit the panic button, Reinhart should be in Kootenay before long, injuries can hit for risto to get a bigger opportunity (and even if he keeps his good play up, that's positive development), and Zadorov...well if he can't go back to London it may be an issue.

So many of you are complaining that the team is unwatchable...I just don't understand why we're all flipping out about it all of a sudden. Did you not see this coming? We don't have Miller to steal games for us (although Enroth has been playing a similar role), and the additions weren't meant to make us better. Granted, Moulson and Stewart have been underwhelming...but Mez, benoit, Gionta all came as advertised. It's nothing we didn't expect.

I just think that we were able to talk about being terrible with relative ease before the season started with a high pick as the light at the end of the tunnel, but when the on ice product presented itself...it made reactions worse. I don't know if the team is just not living up to initial expectations or the reality that we have to suffer through 70-something more games of this sunk in...but we're right where we should be and we're right where we thought we would be

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad